Jim Smith Wednesday Fan

RIP Jim

Didn't he jokingly say that taking the Wednesday job would kill him when we made an approach after Shreeves had resigned?

Think that was the only time we went for him. Not the first of many managers at the time that all distanced themselves from the annual vacant position we had.

It's appropriate Wednesday play Derby tomorrow. Sheffield born Jim was a big Wednesdayite from North Sheffield and did well with the Rams. The passing of a genuine character from a time when football was magic, before the days of Pep, Sky, ridiculous wages and such like. RIP Jim.    

• Like 1

My Dad tells me that Jim lived on Ronksley Crescent Shiregreen, and went with my Dad to Hartley Brook Primary and Firth Park Grammar Schools together.  They played football in the same teams there and went to Hillsborough together.  They were friends from the age of 5 to 16. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

RIP Jim.

I met him once and he was really sound, very down to earth. I was at the training ground and there was a match on. Owls v Derby with a few 1st team players coming back from injury. Suddenly I realised I was stood next to him. I didn't want to disturb him but he started asking me about a couple of the Wednesday players, in particular Del Geary if I remember. He also told me how he used to walk to Hillsborough from Shiregreen to watch Wednesday as a kid.