Atmosphere at Hillsborough

The POTG prices we were always told, so we could invest in better players.

At the end of this season the last of those players will be gone. Our recruitment over the last 3 Windows has been loans and frees, so where is the money going as it's clearly not being invested in the squad.

Too many players sat in the stands on big wages not playing.

Lower the price now the fans won't return, sign some decent players that could get us promoted the fans will return.

But do nothing as we are doing and slowly fans will drift away and spend their hard earn cash in other things. Not on Jordan Rhodes to sit in the stands, why oh why is he still at the club.

36 minutes ago, room0035 said:

At the end of this season the last of those players will be gone. Our recruitment over the last 3 Windows has been loans and frees, so where is the money going as it's clearly not being invested in the squad.

Too many players sat in the stands on big wages not playing.

Lower the price now the fans won't return, sign some decent players that could get us promoted the fans will return.

But do nothing as we are doing and slowly fans will drift away and spend their hard earn cash in other things. Not on Jordan Rhodes to sit in the stands, why oh why is he still at the club.

It will take years to undo the damage already done.

Current fans have found other things to spend their money on, and we've lost a generation of kids already.

So shortsighted.

I am not sure there are the groups of 14 - 17 year olds who turn up together any more. 

The fun of going to the game was often the 30 minutes on the bus getting there, meeting other mates on the Kop in your section. Being prats. 

I am sure there are still some but seems less prevalent.

My young un was much more interested in that YouTube boxing match 

8 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Season ticket holders pay around £25 per game..DC has got plenty of room for improving potg without annoying anybody mate..

If he can't see the spaces and realise a 30.000 gate weekly would improve atmosphere and performances there's some wrong. However he can be stubborn to admit failings 

Edited by S1Owl

58 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

It will take years to undo the damage already done.

Current fans have found other things to spend their money on, and we've lost a generation of kids already.

So shortsighted.

TBH - in and around me on the South (and I know it's never been a youthful place) the average age is increasing. Some families; but it tends to be very young kids.

I don't think I've seen groups of teenagers or early twenties in the ground for years; certainly at home - perhaps more away.

Football's changed for ever now, and it's a predominately middle class, transient game. I imagine at Man C/Utd, Liverpool and most of the London clubs, you'd get a different tourist sat next to you at every other game. 

The top games are becoming like T20 cricket games or ODIs; whilst the run of the mill EFL games are like county championship games, with just the hardcore rocking up.

1 hour ago, Animis said:

TBH - in and around me on the South (and I know it's never been a youthful place) the average age is increasing. Some families; but it tends to be very young kids.

I don't think I've seen groups of teenagers or early twenties in the ground for years; certainly at home - perhaps more away.

Football's changed for ever now, and it's a predominately middle class, transient game. I imagine at Man C/Utd, Liverpool and most of the London clubs, you'd get a different tourist sat next to you at every other game. 

The top games are becoming like T20 cricket games or ODIs; whilst the run of the mill EFL games are like county championship games, with just the hardcore rocking up.

I don’t see that analogy. A T20 season ticket at Yorkshire is £80 for 7 games and a ticket for a county championship game is £15. And the tickets for under 16s are very cheap or free.

The prices Chansiri charges for championship football are only comparable to international cricket.

I think yesterday can be put down to a couple of different things. Not scoring after the initial good start and then the sucker punch of Ayew's goal kind of knocked the crowd a bit.

For a more general reason I think the post Wembley era it has more often than not been too quiet, waiting for something to happen rather than being loud from the start. When you compare the first half of the 2015/16 season to the ones that have followed the one thing that strikes me is that we were averaging 22000 for home games but the atmosphere was better than when we were averaging 25000 (obviously results and performances were better than other seasons) Obviously having less people than possible in the ground doesn't help either.

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

I am not sure there are the groups of 14 - 17 year olds who turn up together any more. 

The fun of going to the game was often the 30 minutes on the bus getting there, meeting other mates on the Kop in your section. Being prats. 

I am sure there are still some but seems less prevalent.

My young un was much more interested in that YouTube boxing match 

watching sport on a screen is sadly , easier , more varied , better quality and of course a lot cheaper.

Eg

How much for 6 kids to watch Liverpool v City on sky with  3 dozen cans of Stella, compared to all travelling to Hillsborough to queue in a pub and then watch 2nd  division football

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

The ‘better players’ we’ve paid money for in the last few years:

Jordan Rhodes £10m
Abdi £3m

van Aken £3m

Pelupessy 500k

Add to that the money we’ve wasted on wages for these lads along with Jones, Boyd and Urby.

How the ‘better players’ line can still be used as a justification for the extortionate ticket prices is beyond me

• Haha 1

I don't go any more and I'm in the youngish age group. Once your season ticket price increases from ~£100 to £350 when you hit 17  years old that is a huge increase for someone still in education. I stopped going few years ago after I got to that point. And it is generally the younger ones (15 - 25) who maybe are more energetic when it comes to supporting the team. 

Edited by flo

6 hours ago, flo said:

I don't go any more and I'm in the youngish age group. Once your season ticket price increases from ~£100 to £350 when you hit 17  years old that is a huge increase for someone still in education. I stopped going few years ago after I got to that point. And it is generally the younger ones (15 - 25) who maybe are more energetic when it comes to supporting the team. 

Spot on - it is the hike in price and that it's a shock you might have to pay for it yourself to go.

But you are right that is the age group that we have lost or have better things to do which drive the atmosphere.

10 hours ago, S1Owl said:

If he can't see the spaces and realise a 30.000 gate weekly would improve atmosphere and performances there's some wrong. However he can be stubborn to admit failings 

So 23k fans is not enough to make some noise? How would an extra 7K make all the difference?

Nearly every post is some dig at DC or ticket prices.

Think if 23K and not loud maybe we as fans should look at ourselves eh?

After all we go away and anything between 2 and 4 thousand can make some noise.

55 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

If the other side of the city end up having 3-4 years in Prem, this could potentially see us lose a generation of supporters. 

We already have.

Every year we persist with ripping POTG fans off, the impact and damage increases.

• Haha 1