Atmosphere at Hillsborough

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

The accounts are a year old though for July 2018 we have had July 2019 and are currently in the year to 31 July 2020. That's the problem with finance figures they are always in the past.

True, but amortised payments are still paid over the length of a players contract and often added to if a new contract is negotiated.

Although we have off loaded some players, I don't believe the overall wages bill will have dramatically dropped over the past year and a bit.

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

True, but amortised payments are still paid over the length of a players contract and often added to if a new contract is negotiated.

Although we have off loaded some players, I don't believe the overall wages bill will have dramatically dropped over the past year and a bit.

In the context of my post The club told us we were paying high ticket prices for investment in the team, I said that for the last 3 transfer windows we have signed mainly free agents and loans with very little spent on fees I think Iorfa and Luongo is the only money we have spent.

From the mad Carlos days of spending money like confetti. The end of this season Rhodes, Fletcher, Forestieri, Winnall and more are out of contract. Looking at the squad still in contract only Reach we will have spent significant fee on.

So the argument was for lower ticket prices on the basis of not spending million on fees and salaries.

Fessi, Fletcher, Hutch, Dawson, Fox ( I would not have said that 3 months ago), maybe Lee if he can prove he is over his injuries.

That's leave Rhodes, Winnall, Pelupessy, Nuhiu, a few of the kids and the loan players that's going to be a significant saving on wages. Add to this if we can reduce what we are paying Fessi and Fletcher it is not being on realms we could be saving £7m on wages. Add to that what left last season with Jones, Matias, Hooper, Abdi - the accounts for July 2020 could have a wage bill £15-20m less than in 2018. Add to that the money we got for Bruce.

Without knowing the figures in the accounts it is just speculation but the last of the big earners other than Reach, Westwood, Lees could well be gone this summer.  

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

In the context of my post The club told us we were paying high ticket prices for investment in the team, I said that for the last 3 transfer windows we have signed mainly free agents and loans with very little spent on fees I think Iorfa and Luongo is the only money we have spent.

From the mad Carlos days of spending money like confetti. The end of this season Rhodes, Fletcher, Forestieri, Winnall and more are out of contract. Looking at the squad still in contract only Reach we will have spent significant fee on.

So the argument was for lower ticket prices on the basis of not spending million on fees and salaries.

Fessi, Fletcher, Hutch, Dawson, Fox ( I would not have said that 3 months ago), maybe Lee if he can prove he is over his injuries.

That's leave Rhodes, Winnall, Pelupessy, Nuhiu, a few of the kids and the loan players that's going to be a significant saving on wages. Add to this if we can reduce what we are paying Fessi and Fletcher it is not being on realms we could be saving £7m on wages. Add to that what left last season with Jones, Matias, Hooper, Abdi - the accounts for July 2020 could have a wage bill £15-20m less than in 2018. Add to that the money we got for Bruce.

Without knowing the figures in the accounts it is just speculation but the last of the big earners other than Reach, Westwood, Lees could well be gone this summer.  

I maybe took your post out of context, my earlier comments were in reply to your post which said:-

At the end of this season the last of those players will be gone. Our recruitment over the last 3 Windows has been loans and frees, so where is the money going as it's clearly not being invested in the squad.

I took this to mean where has the money been spent up until now, rather than what will happen after this season which is what it seems you were referring to.

7 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I maybe took your post out of context, my earlier comments were in reply to your post which said:-

At the end of this season the last of those players will be gone. Our recruitment over the last 3 Windows has been loans and frees, so where is the money going as it's clearly not being invested in the squad.

I took this to mean where has the money been spent up until now, rather than what will happen after this season which is what it seems you were referring to.

It was more of a case that we are clearing the decks of the last of the big earners.

21 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I'd assume that our lack of spending (compared to a few seasons ago) is due to FFP. 

Yes, we've cleared some of the wagebill, but that doesn't mean we can start spending big fees/wages again. 

Suspect we will be looking at a few more seasons of freebies and nominal fees. Tbf, I suspect most of the division (bar a few exceptions) will be adopting a similar approach. 

The Championship can't sustain the boom and bust approach that some (including us) had a few seasons back. 

Guest The Horse

Unfortunately, although some may be loathe to admit it, the United factor has played a big part.

Some people outside of Sheffield don't totally get it.

But our two clubs have a symbiont relationship. What happens to one has an effect on the other even if it's just a small ripple in the water.

Chansiri was oblivious to it.

Carlos didn't think it was anything serious.

We did and it royally pissed us off.

But I'm pretty sure that as soon as it looks as though they'll be going down or we'll be joining them, the atmosphere will change very quickly.

It's not all down to that of course but I think it's having a bigger effect than most would like to admit.

But things can change quick in football.

Just a few short seasons ago they were on the foot of League 1 with their fans hurling abuse at their players in a cold and half empty stadium.

But also, yes - we need our lairy lot to be able to sit together.

9 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Can’t be arsed to read the whole thread but most home crowds are quiet nowadays aren’t they ? Nothing new 

Indeed. But some clubs are trying to do something about it. And I do think there is more the club can try rather than just persisting with the same fan experience year after year. 

19 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

So a season ticket is not good value at around 22 quid a match?

Actually for me no - I miss a few games through work and it's a big lump sum to find. My ST on the North ends up costing me over £30 a game. But I'm an addict so for the moment I pay it. If I couldn't afford a season ticket I don't think I'd go to games at all because the prices are taking the wee wee. 

I think the target should be for the cheapest POTG to be £20 never mind paying a bit more than that even if you stump up a few hundred in advance. 

But we all have our own views on this. 

On 11/11/2019 at 07:56, Harrysgame said:

So 23k fans is not enough to make some noise? How would an extra 7K make all the difference?

Nearly every post is some dig at DC or ticket prices.

Think if 23K and not loud maybe we as fans should look at ourselves eh?

After all we go away and anything between 2 and 4 thousand can make some noise.

I agree with noise etc but all them empty seats in the North and lower leppings lane make could at least be filled to an extent with kids for a fiver etc just to make it look less empty 

8 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

I agree with noise etc but all them empty seats in the North and lower leppings lane make could at least be filled to an extent with kids for a fiver etc just to make it look less empty 

SAG won't allow it lol

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

I agree with the ticket prices being absolutely ridiculous and fair play to anyone that pays for potd tickets (Im included in this). 

However the prices don’t have much correlation to the atmosphere in my opinion it’s just that the fans can’t be arsed anymore unless it’s a big game and unfortunately we don’t have many of them anymore with most away teams bringing a couple of hundred who are situated about 300 miles from home fans. 

Us as fans need to do more and give the team something to feed off. Away from home we are pretty special but at home no one seems arsed. The few who do try to get the atmosphere going give up pretty sharpish when no one joins in.

I had my season ticket on the North but have more changed to buying potd tickets on the kop as it makes it slightly more affordable. The atmosphere was alright for most games on the North but the kop is such a soulless place most games. There’s about 50 or so at the back who try but no one joins in. 

The atmosphere of going to a game in real life was so exciting growing up, now it’s just going to watch the game so may as well stay at home and watch on tv or the pub which a lot of people have started doing. 

52 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Paying ridiculous outrageous prices for what  ?

Points deduction ? Relegation ?

No wonder the fans don't create an atmosphere.

We've always been the most tolerant supporters in British football

Cheer up. 
We could be supporters of Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Hartlepool etc etc. who surely have had to tolerate more than us. 

On 10/11/2019 at 14:38, asteener1867 said:

This same "Old, past its sell by date" Stadium has had some marvellous atmospheres when theres been summat to shout about, Wycombe, arsenal, brighton for example.

To think any set of fans or any ground in the country would be any different after more or less 2 decades of what we have had, is delusional...Cos owls fans are hardly any different than any other fans.

Allied to this theres the smack around the head with the prices, the road closures, the ever present spectre of '89, leading to a state of affairs where such as Liverpool fans can greet City with fireworks bricks bottles and intimidation, and yer average Owls fan is deemed a hooligan if he manages to get on the Kop with a bloody plastic bottle top.

I mean you can't even wave a bloody flag!!...take a banner in...you see Palace, Anfield etc..festooned with 'em...it all adds to the atmosphere , why not us?

Seriously though...Why not us?

Why can't Owls fans people the bottom of the Lepp..safety...???

The Glasgow derby, probably the most volatile in the country..hardly any segregation between the fans...US...?

We play freakin' Wigan at home...road closures, no tickets on the day on The North?...Its sheer discrimination, its unfair..and its totally uneccessary.

The reason, as we already know mate.... SYP, SCC, SAG.... They want us out of Hillsborough. There is an agenda here... stinks.