Atmosphere at Hillsborough

In my opinion, same as some others on here, I really think seeing them b@$tards across the city exceeding expectations at the moment is playing a major factor in the poor atmosphere at Hillsborough. I think the feel good factor we had a few years ago has well and truly died, as said before we were in the position to put ourselves in the driving seat and as per Wednesday fashion we blew it.

Add into the mix, with the lack of confidence in the players which sees us throwing points away for fun and the high price on matchdays, it's no surprise we see ourselves in this position regarding the atmosphere at home.

23 hours ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Any ideas why it's so bad ? 

Every game now we get the usual 'is this a library' from the away end, and they're not wrong, its silent at times. 

I moved my ST from the Kop to the North this season thinking it would be better on there and its even worse to be honest, far more abusing our own players and can count on one hand the times theres a song started on the north this season. 

Are we the same at away games now as well? Only been to Huddersfield away this season and that wasn't as good as it used to be a few years ago when I went away every week. 

Anyone else noticed this ?

Think we need a bit of a pick me up, something like promotion. 

20 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

Looks like we could do with some 'part timers' after all.

We do, they add to the atmosphere.

Being a season ticket holder can at times be a tough slog  - its almost like a second job!!

The part timer goes more for a good time (is that possible following us?)  - it's not a regular event, they make a day of it, its a special event

The part timer days seem numbered though

6 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

The club needs to do more on this. Why haven't we piloted a singing area like other clubs? I was at Hull away and their support was excellent. 

I think a singing area is an excellent idea however the question is where would you put it. 

The Kop: possibly but it needs a big crowd to make that stand atmospheric because  before all the nonsense of all seater grounds it could accommodate more than the entire crowd against Swansea  on its own. 

The North: Forgetting SAG issues for a minute. The only place would be at LL end but thats got our pointing brigade and many would not want to stand with them

The South: No

The Grandstand: too high up and away from the pitch

So where would it be put?

2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I think a singing area is an excellent idea however the question is where would you put it. 

The Kop: possibly but it needs a big crowd to make that stand atmospheric because  before all the nonsense of all seater grounds it could accommodate more than the entire crowd against Swansea  on its own. 

The North: Forgetting SAG issues for a minute. The only place would be at LL end but thats got our pointing brigade and many would not want to stand with them

The South: No

The Grandstand: too high up and away from the pitch

So where would it be put?

I think it would have to be far end of the north, seeing as there is already where most of our vocal support comes from at home.

The club is being far too passive on this at the moment. As people have already said, turning up to Hillsborough has gone very stale. Time we were a little more creative instead of just fobbing it off with "it will pick up when we have a better team". 

As a Kop season ticket holder, it’s the same people every week. 

We desperately need promotion season, last minute winners every week etc.... but that feels like it’ll never happen - and I and the same people still go knowing that... 

Also. My mate has one of those dodgy tv things - he sees every game for about £60 a year without leaving his armchair. 

13 hours ago, S1Owl said:

If he can't see the spaces and realise a 30.000 gate weekly would improve atmosphere and performances there's some wrong. However he can be stubborn to admit failings 

We will never get a consistent 30k gate and we never have we have a die hard loyal base of 20-21k who go week in week out we have another 2-4k that turn up if they can be bothered or we are playing well and another 4k who go to big matches its always been this way and always will yes the pricing has effected the POTG fans but don't believe for a minute that selling tickets for £20 would fill the ground as it wont 

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

You have no proof we have lost a generation of kids. 

Stop lying.

Plenty of young ones attending the games. I take 2 with me who quite happily put there iPad and Xbox down to go to the matches. "Lost generation" dramatic sounding soundbite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nilsson said:

The ‘better players’ we’ve paid money for in the last few years:

Jordan Rhodes £10m
Abdi £3m

van Aken £3m

Pelupessy 500k

Add to that the money we’ve wasted on wages for these lads along with Jones, Boyd and Urby.

How the ‘better players’ line can still be used as a justification for the extortionate ticket prices is beyond me

I was not using it in that context I was saying that's what we were told for the prices increase, if you read what I also put is that is coming to an end this season so the price excuses is no longer there.

My actual comment

The POTG prices we were always told, so we could invest in better players.

At the end of this season the last of those players will be gone. Our recruitment over the last 3 Windows has been loans and frees, so where is the money going as it's clearly not being invested in the squad.

• Thanks 1

For me the club have got to acknowledge the clientele that goes on the North and talk to them, much like Palace did and asked them what they wanted and what would improve the atmosphere, I would think that the Kop is the best place to do this,

as all of us of a certain age (i'm 41) know and former players have talked about, the noise from the Kop use to roll down and the volume increased. lifting our players and putting off the opposition in fact I think it was one of Monks 1st comments as an opposition manager and player  trying to quieten down the Kop 

Also the T1 and the next block have got to realise that they are needed to help increase the atmosphere, pointing and gesturing from the north across 2000 empty seats to 1k away fans at best most games isn't doing anything they're never going to get to them to have a Scrap, and from what I've been told we are never going to be allowed out on to Leppings lane again so you're not going to get at them after either, so the best way to intimidate the opposition and their fans is with the atmosphere ,I'm not speaking from a far as my season ticket is in block S about 6 rows from the back, so i'm there i know what happens

The club have also got to encourage this with sensible pricing so that the POTG fans that use to like to go and sit on the north with the end blocks can still get to their mates if they move to on the Kop and also acknowledge some of the songs and chants may have swearing in and accept this for what it is (although i'm still not comfortable singing about the size of our centre half's wee wee tail) Look at the Palace fans with their Banners and Flags as well as other clubs they create a great atmosphere, I appreciate that we have the harshest SAG in the country and bringing Flags and Banners would probably give them Heart attacks but the willing to compromise and work together has to be shown to be coming from us, that way they cant accuse the club or owner of being stubborn.

This is in no way going to create a 30k electric atmosphere overnight it will take years of rebuilding and persuasion to do that and like i've said previously we've never really had 30k consistently , but if we do do something then we need to stick with it and see it through, A 25k average creating an intimidating atmosphere would probably get more youngsters interested and wanting to come and get Hillsborough the reputation back it use to have 

As for the band I think the problem is they seem to work against the atmosphere not with it, for me they only seem to come in and play when the kop start singing and play over it, if i was at the club id be asking them not to play when the crowd are singing but to play when its quiet and try and lift the atmosphere 

think what im trying to say is yes we all have our differences of opinion and views on whats happening on and off the pitch but surely we need to start looking at ourselves as a collective and realise we can and cant influence, and the major one is the fans 

and after all said and done what all of us want is the best Sheffield Wednesday we can be isn't it? and even if others departments don't always do their part as well at times, at least lets get to a stage where you cant fault the fans for doing their part 

Loads of factors, but you're right, the atmosphere right now if terrible if you take into account where we are in the league.

It doesn't help that Monk isn't the biggest character either. Carlos got the crowd going with his charisma and style of play. (first season)

And Bruce really got the crowd going at the end of last season, the chants 'Steve Bruce's barmy army' were as loud as I've heard.

27 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I was not using it in that context I was saying that's what we were told for the prices increase, if you read what I also put is that is coming to an end this season so the price excuses is no longer there.

My actual comment

At the end of this season the last of those players will be gone. Our recruitment over the last 3 Windows has been loans and frees, so where is the money going as it's clearly not being invested in the squad.

Yes I wasn’t disagreeing with your post. Just agreeing that ‘better players’ should never have been used as an excuse for the prices.

8 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

So 23k fans is not enough to make some noise? How would an extra 7K make all the difference?

Nearly every post is some dig at DC or ticket prices.

Think if 23K and not loud maybe we as fans should look at ourselves eh?

After all we go away and anything between 2 and 4 thousand can make some noise.

Yea..i bet some are beginning to wonder if theres summat in that....

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Just looking at the empty lower lepp, and the triangle depresses you. 

Every time i watch a game with my neighbors they think hardly anyone is at the game.

The whole place is stale.

A slight dig at Monk......he doesn't seem to have any reaction with the fans at all. It's all just so frickin dull.

its a strange one as at Birmingham he was a god like figure almost as popular what Klopp is at Liverpool .

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

My actual comment

According to the accounts there's nearly £11m in amortised players registrations and £42M in overall wages costs.

• Thanks 2