Jacob Murphy

On 18/10/2019 at 21:53, Shezza said:

D

Really wonder where this attitude towards Reach comes from. Bet he is in the top ten hardest working players in the Championship. 

Must be the messed up element among the fans. 

I'd rather have a player who puts in 50% effort every game but produces something effective during that 50% than a player who puts in 100% and produces nothing. 

• Haha 1

I thought he looked decent to start with but it's impossible to defend him on his recent form.

The only saving grace is that a bloke a few rows behind me has a irrational hatred of him that he can't help vocalising, every time Murphy is in play, even if he doesn't do anything wrong. It's hilarious. I feel myself willing the ball to go near Murphy just to hear this guy pipe up.

• Haha 2

Thought Josh Murphy was their most dangerous player so can't understand some nonsense on here about them both being crap and the same.

Josh produces an end product and takes men on whereas Jacob just strolls around looking not bothered. Like others it's baffling how Aarons is playing in league one in comparison, terrible decision by Bruce there not to bring him back.

Guess we have to wait until January, certainly to bring someone else in. Monk is giving him a chance which is fair enough but it has to stop now, either give FF a chance there or a youngster.

Edited by swfc-dan

Murphy clearly has the ability, he has shown it for us already.

We do however know that players sometimes have the ability, but not the application.   

As fans we want every player to play their guts out, every game - some do, no matter what.   Others need more motivation, i'm not sure what motivation Murphy needs but I fear we have yet to find and offer that motivation to him.

I’m not particularly impressed with Jacob Murphy so far. Seems to lack that pre-requisite for a footballer which is some willingness and fight. Seems to be on the periphery of the game on the whole. 

I did prefer Rolando Aarons although I understand who we didn’t go back in for him given his injury record.

3 minutes ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

Something isnt right with Murphy and it isnt his ability. I think we need to be careful how we judge the lad. He is obviously a confidence player. 

I’m not sure. For me, a confidence player would still get the basics right and put a shift in until they got abit of luck.

He stinks of a player that thinks he’s made it and now he’s playing below himself. The similarities between him and Bothroyd are staggering. 

8 hours ago, poite said:

I'd rather have a player who puts in 50% effort every game but produces something effective during that 50% than a player who puts in 100% and produces nothing. 

I doubt any manager would agree with you ....

I dont think murphy is a bad player tbh, just dont think he'll ever be a 'backs to the wall, dig in and keep a result' kinda player. He shouldnt be trusted to track a man back and should come on when we need a goal and he doesnt have to track back. I know the ref was dog turd but I would like to think ff would have won us cheap free kicks up the field. As it was we just seemed to lump every goal kick to reach of all people and invite pressure for half an hour. 

I used to think he was an arrogant player but I genuinely believe it is confidence that's causing issues. 

He was reading a confidence book the other day on his instagram story I think.

I think a spell out of the firing line will do him good and he'll come back as a credible option.

I wouldn’t worry.

We have Forestieri back now, which puts us in an incredibly strong position in wide positions. It looks like one of Harris, Reach and FF will be on the bench in every game. Think about that luxury and that competition for a start.

Murphy will now be 4th choice wide forward. He will probably barely play a minute between now and the transfer window.