Reach's place under threat

47 minutes ago, room0035 said:

He was injured end of last season and since has not produced the sort of form we had from him the start of last season.

Add to that we seem to be finding a role for him in the team instead of picking the best players for the roles, he is an attacking midfielder/left winger, currently Murphy and Harris fill the winger roles, and Bannan is the attacking midfielder would we drop any of these 3 to play Reach.

We look very light weight in midfield last night with Bannan, Hutch, Reach there, Reach lacked energy a Lee/Luongo would bring to the middle of the park and Luton got way too much room in the centre of the field. He picked up in the second half probably after a rollicking from the manager.

For me we change him for either Lee or Luongo at the week end if we jkeep the same formation.

I would prefer us to revert to a 4-4-2 allowing us to play a second striker be that Fessi or Rhodes/Winnall. We are creating a lot of chance but it would be wrong to expect Fletcher to put them all away.

One, massive bonus for us though is the threat from midfield with Harris and Murphy they are both goal creators and goal scorers.

But we are top of the league and doing well, so lets get another 3 points at Preston and the rest will fall into place

The problem with playing 442 with a second striker is the quality of that second striker. Rhodes is an out and out front man, not a No10. Ditto Nuhiu. Winnall perhaps could play No 10. Fessi is awful at it. 

Compare that to our choice of wingers. We have four superb ones - Reach, Harris, Fessi and Murphy. And compare it to our midfielders. We have four superb ones, in Bannan, Lee, Hutch and Luongo.

In previous seasons, because we had the perfect No 10 in Hooper, and a poor array of wingers and midfielders, 442 made more sense. Not now.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

No longer good enough for the wing spot?

When did he lose his ability? June or July? Because up to May he was our best winger by light years.

Not sure he has much ability quite frankly other than hard working, if take away his long range shooting what does he offer?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I'm thinking of an opportunity attacking lepping's lane where a run was made, Reach tried to play the through ball but he just hit it straight to the defender, hopefully something he can work on

Think I know which one you mean. I said to my pal that he kept overhitting passes in that first half. But that one, Harris would have been clean through. 

Reach has had a very quiet start to the season imo. Contributed not a lot and had a couple of poor moments defensively last night, one of which should have been a goal for them.

If we're playing a double 6 in the middle then he can sort of play the attacking player in the 3, behind the striker, but I'm not sure i wouldn't want Lee in there instead given how good he is at popping up with a goal.

In the central midfield as it's set up now, Reach doesn't really fit. When going box to box, his defensive side isn't up to it, and it will cost us against better sides.

So for me that leaves him competing out wide with Harris, Nando and Murphy.

All 4 players can play either flank, so that's good, but I don't think Reach would be in my starting line up if they're all fit and up for it. Murphy will presumably get better as he gets some miles in his legs having not played a great deal last season.

It's a good problem to have tho, that's for sure!

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Healthy competition. It's a great place to find ourselves in.

I think Bullen has his favourites

I can't see Reach, Bannan or Hutchinson getting dropped

Could probably include Westwood, Lees, Borner, Murphy, Harris, and Fletcher in that too

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

8 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Could probably include Westwood, Lees, Borner, Murphy, Harris, and Fletcher in that too

To be honest Hoots I'm not sure I'd drop any of those either! 

It's like Reach, I thought he was a bit sloppy with the ball last night. And yet I do think he relentless stamina and running in the closing down in the second half was one of the catalysts for the turn around.

Murphy...bit hit hand miss first half. But then really switched on for the interception and lovely lifted cross to the back stick for Fletch for the goal. 

Think it's all fine margin things. 

There are bound to be players though that he thinks and has more trust in. Think that's all gaffers isn't it.

33 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Every manager has their favourites.

If Reach is 100% fit and we have 3 of the central midfielders fit then I would start Reach wide right on Saturday.

For me Murphy was poor first half and hasn’t done anywhere near enough to be guaranteed the shirt, especially away from home.

The problem first half last night was Bannan and Reach tried to press while Hutch dropped deep leaving a massive hole in central midfield.

Hutch needs to be more positive in both his positional play and his passing or we are going to struggle to play with the momentum we need 

6 hours ago, Stainless said:

I'd go with this 2 from 3 or 4 if you consider ff for the wide left role.

Reach's best work 1st half yesterday came when he went out wide right and murphy tucked in. 2nd half he played a good 10 or 15 yards further up field and closer to fletcher which pulled the whole team with him but much preffer bannan and lee as the main engine room with hutch holding

If I'm thinking tactically and about flexibility, for me the ideal scenario would be to pair the new boys up with reach and Nando. 

For example play reach & Harris 

Reach coming inside and striking from long range or crossing from deep. 

Harris using his pace to beat men and get beyond the back four. 

Or go with Murphy & Nando. 

Mupheys pace and energy coupled with nandos guile, trickery and goal threat. 

It gives the opposition two different styles to defend against, think about and to deal with. 

I really dislike Reach in the middle, and that's not criticising him at all, he's a winger that is being used in there because of his engine 

For me he just doesn't have the tenacity or the close control to do it properly in the middle. 

Now we have Luongo, Lee, Hutch and Bannan there's no reason for him to play there at all. It should be down to him, Harris and Murphy to battle it out for those 2 wing places.

I'd have understood it if we were short on players in that area OR if form was lacking, but Luongo has looked brilliant so far.

Edited by Owls2k

8 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally see Reach competing with Murphy and Forestieri for a wide attack position. Harris looks like he’s cemented his place. He really shouldn’t be operating in the middle in front of Kieran Lee and luongo. 

He isn’t in front of Lee. 

Reach has played CM twice to cover Bannan and once to rest Lee. 

I expect Reach knows better than anyone that he’s much better as a winger, but he gets his head down and works hard for the team. Not surprised our managers have all loved him.

I agree with your first point completely. I see him competing with Murphy and FF and even Harris. Harris is unlikely to play anything like 46 games. 

Saturday will be interesting. I think with Lee and Bannan back, Bully will put Reach wide right v Preston. I think Reach and Harris will be Bully’s go to wingers.

Edited by Holmowl

10 hours ago, Jaydubz said:

Not sure he has much ability quite frankly other than hard working, if take away his long range shooting what does he offer?

To be read in the voice of John Cleese...

But apart from the hard work, the goals, the assists, the through-balls, the crosses, the pull-backs from the bye-line, the pace, the engine, the commitment and the character, what has Reach ever done for us?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

If I'm thinking tactically and about flexibility, for me the ideal scenario would be to pair the new boys up with reach and Nando. 

For example play reach & Harris 

Reach coming inside and striking from long range or crossing from deep. 

Harris using his pace to beat men and get beyond the back four. 

Or go with Murphy & Nando. 

Mupheys pace and energy coupled with nandos guile, trickery and goal threat. 

It gives the opposition two different styles to defend against, think about and to deal with. 

I sort of agree. I don’t think we should rigidly pair them up, but I do think a perm-any-two-from-four approach would be very exciting and successful.

Wingers tend to drift in and out of games. The touchline can be a lonely place, especially away from home, or when one flank is used far more than the other, which we are seeing because Harris is on fire.

I'd love to think that we see two from FF, Reach, Murphy and Harris start every game, and be replaced by the other two. A fresh winger on 60 or 70 minutes can really spark a team.

I think it’s Harris and Reach to start right now, and Murphy and FF ready to shine immediately when on.