Reach's place under threat

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I sort of agree. I don’t think we should rigidly pair them up, but I do think a perm-any-two-from-four approach would be very exciting and successful.

Wingers tend to drift in and out of games. The touchline can be a lonely place, especially away from home, or when one flank is used far more than the other, which we are seeing because Harris is on fire.

I'd love to think that we see two from FF, Reach, Murphy and Harris start every game, and be replaced by the other two. A fresh winger on 60 or 70 minutes can really spark a team.

I think it’s Harris and Reach to start right now, and Murphy and FF ready to shine immediately when on.

Can't argue with Harris being nailer on at the moment, 2 goals in 4 is a good return for a winger. 

My point was by pairing one of the quick lads with one that offers us something different gives us different options and would make us harder to play against. 

The Millwall game was a prime example, they nullified our pace by sitting back, defending and leaving us no space. 

Reach or Nando on the other wing would have offered different qualities that would have given them more problems. 

21 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

With the new wingers who look to have cemented their places, our new signing Luongo who looks to be a decent player and the return of Lee it looks as though Reach has some strong competition for a starting place which since him becoming a first team regular he has never really experience. Last night he was subbed which must seen new to him.

I think this has had a good effect on his performance because he has upped his work rate in defence and is now attempting to tackle. In the past I thought he drifted in and out of games and especially when we were behind he never imposed himself as a top quality championship player as he's supposed to be.

Going forwards where does Reach fit in? I can't see him taking one of the wing positions, I would rather never see him at full back again. Is he a good enough passer for a midfield 3? Yesterday he had a great opportunity to slip Harris through but the pass was poor. Is he too one footed for the middle? He reminds me of a bishop in chess. However with his shooting ability and energy could become a very good central midfielder as he performed yesterday.

Good problems to have.

I think given a free reign to run through the middle he could become a very useful goalscoring midfielder. Just a shame he's so crap in the air.

On last two performances think Bannan is more under threat, Did not have good game against Luton and did not shine at Millwall. Actually think with options we have available it is about picking team which are best equipped to deal with opposition. Preston have physical quick hard running midfield team. Hutchinson and Luongo look suited to play against them. I would probably go for Reach as he is quickest and has lots of energy of other 3 likely contenders Lee could do a job as covers a lot of ground.When tiring Bannan can come on against a tired opposition. and play his brand of football. Neill will have done his home work and will have a plan to stop us getting ball out to wingers.

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

To be read in the voice of John Cleese...

But apart from the hard work, the goals, the assists, the through-balls, the crosses, the pull-backs from the bye-line, the pace, the engine, the commitment and the character, what has Reach ever done for us?

Clearly content with average players then, that only look 'decent' when surrounded by lesser players, like when he was in Jos' team.

34 minutes ago, Quist said:

On last two performances think Bannan is more under threat, Did not have good game against Luton and did not shine at Millwall. Actually think with options we have available it is about picking team which are best equipped to deal with opposition. Preston have physical quick hard running midfield team. Hutchinson and Luongo look suited to play against them. I would probably go for Reach as he is quickest and has lots of energy of other 3 likely contenders Lee could do a job as covers a lot of ground.When tiring Bannan can come on against a tired opposition. and play his brand of football. Neill will have done his home work and will have a plan to stop us getting ball out to wingers.

Bannan under threat?! 

Not a chance pal.

Neill will have done his homework and every manager will come play us and try to stop that outball and will put 2 players on each winger when they get it.

We NEED a plan B when it’s not coming off - we struggled on Tuesday night and we need another plan

16 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Bannan under threat?! 

Not a chance pal.

Neill will have done his homework and every manager will come play us and try to stop that outball and will put 2 players on each winger when they get it.

We NEED a plan B when it’s not coming off - we struggled on Tuesday night and we need another plan

Bannan is definitely under threat. We've been playing better without him recently. 

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

Bannan under threat?! 

Not a chance pal.

I do not think he will be dropped. You are quite right Neil will have done his homework and always puts man on Bannan. I would leave him on bench for this reason. I fancy both Murphy and Harris to wriggle free of their markers Preston go hell for leather so would go with Hutch and Lou in front of back 4 to keep things tight. I would hold BB, FF and KL back to come on in later stages when Preston tiring as think they can make difference when Preston tiring. Hopefully Reach Luongo and wingers will have softened them up in early stages.

21 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

Reach looked like he had no clue what his role was last night.

Totally agree, he was running round all over the place or just stood watching the play.  He's always been a consistent player but there are other options now.

23 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

Murphy didn't impress me at all last night. Reach should be back on the right wing next week with Murphy to come off the bench. With his pace, that'll terrify the opposites. 

I thought he was quiet first half but he was very good second half. He's not just about pace and taking a man on, he's got a good footballing brain. He makes the right runs both to receive the ball and to take defenders away. Whatever IT is I think he's got it.

If we give the lad a chance instead of getting on his back I think he will blossom. At present it's patchy, he drifts in and out of the game, once his confidence builds I think he might be a revelation.

Maybe he will turn out to be another Onomah, talented but rarely performed, it's just too early to say but I'm hopeful.

21 hours ago, room0035 said:

He was injured end of last season and since has not produced the sort of form we had from him the start of last season.

Add to that we seem to be finding a role for him in the team instead of picking the best players for the roles, he is an attacking midfielder/left winger, currently Murphy and Harris fill the winger roles, and Bannan is the attacking midfielder would we drop any of these 3 to play Reach.

We look very light weight in midfield last night with Bannan, Hutch, Reach there, Reach lacked energy a Lee/Luongo would bring to the middle of the park and Luton got way too much room in the centre of the field. He picked up in the second half probably after a rollicking from the manager.

For me we change him for either Lee or Luongo at the week end if we jkeep the same formation.

I would prefer us to revert to a 4-4-2 allowing us to play a second striker be that Fessi or Rhodes/Winnall. We are creating a lot of chance but it would be wrong to expect Fletcher to put them all away.

One, massive bonus for us though is the threat from midfield with Harris and Murphy they are both goal creators and goal scorers.

But we are top of the league and doing well, so lets get another 3 points at Preston and the rest will fall into place

The one thing Reach doesn't lack is energy. He's like Lee, he's got a great engine. I agree he's out of position in midfield but I think the idea was to rest Lee rather than run him into the ground like CC did.

I'd like to see more of Luongo, he looks a player. I'm not sure why he's not featured more, maybe he's not fully fit.

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Bannan under threat?! 

Not a chance pal.

They put 2 players on Harris on Tuesday, it was a waste of time he went past them for fun. If they double up on the wingers there will be loads of room for our midfield to hurt them.

2 good wingers is so effective. We should leave a box of incontinence pants in the opposition dressing room with a note..."You will be needing these".:image:

6 hours ago, Quist said:

I think this is quite a good call, for this game we need to match Preston in midfield right from the start.  I don't think we need to make too many changes but starting with Luongo in place of Bannan for this game would be my choice. Having the chance to bring Lee and Bannan on when there is more space would be useful.

Still think normally Bannan should be one of the first names on the team sheet, but not for this game.

Nice to have a few options.

On 21/08/2019 at 17:16, Ellis Rimmer said:

With the new wingers who look to have cemented their places, our new signing Luongo who looks to be a decent player and the return of Lee it looks as though Reach has some strong competition for a starting place which since him becoming a first team regular he has never really experience. Last night he was subbed which must seen new to him.

I think this has had a good effect on his performance because he has upped his work rate in defence and is now attempting to tackle. In the past I thought he drifted in and out of games and especially when we were behind he never imposed himself as a top quality championship player as he's supposed to be.

Going forwards where does Reach fit in? I can't see him taking one of the wing positions, I would rather never see him at full back again. Is he a good enough passer for a midfield 3? Yesterday he had a great opportunity to slip Harris through but the pass was poor. Is he too one footed for the middle? He reminds me of a bishop in chess. However with his shooting ability and energy could become a very good central midfielder as he performed yesterday.

Good problems to have.

I expect him to play more minutes on the wing than Murphy, more minutes on the wing than FF, and unless Harris has a season free of injuries I expect Reach will surpass him too.

Harris looks a superb 5 furlong sprinter. Reach is a thoroughbred.

I am not at all averse to Reach at LB. He never let us down, and as we saw at Millwall he gets up the wing and delivers dangerous crosses.

I see him as a third or fourth choice CM. Won’t let us down but he’s never a proper CM.

Reach is a great player. He’s doing ok but has had better spells of form. 

He he will play in the Premier League, with or without Sheffield Wednesday. 

Makes intelligent runs, decent range of passing, goals in him and great energy levels. Stays fit, excellent touch. 

• Haha 1