Reach's place under threat

With the new wingers who look to have cemented their places, our new signing Luongo who looks to be a decent player and the return of Lee it looks as though Reach has some strong competition for a starting place which since him becoming a first team regular he has never really experience. Last night he was subbed which must seen new to him.

I think this has had a good effect on his performance because he has upped his work rate in defence and is now attempting to tackle. In the past I thought he drifted in and out of games and especially when we were behind he never imposed himself as a top quality championship player as he's supposed to be.

Going forwards where does Reach fit in? I can't see him taking one of the wing positions, I would rather never see him at full back again. Is he a good enough passer for a midfield 3? Yesterday he had a great opportunity to slip Harris through but the pass was poor. Is he too one footed for the middle? He reminds me of a bishop in chess. However with his shooting ability and energy could become a very good central midfielder as he performed yesterday.

Good problems to have.

Edited by Ellis Rimmer
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

With the new wingers who look to have cemented their places, our new signing Luongo who looks to be a decent player and the return of Lee it looks as though Reach has some strong competition for a starting place which since him becoming a first team regular he has never really experience. Last night he was subbed which must seen new to him.

I think this has had a good effect on his performance because he has upped his work rate in defence and is now attempting to tackle. In the past I thought he drifted in and out of games and especially when we were behind he never imposed himself as a top quality championship player as he's supposed to be.

Going forwards where does Reach fit in? I can't see him taking one of the wing positions, I would rather never see him at full back again. Is he a good enough passer for a midfield 3? Yesterday he had a great opportunity to slip Harris through but the pass was poor. Is he too one footed for the middle? He reminds me of a bishop in chess. However with his shooting ability and energy could become a very good central midfielder as he performed yesterday.

Good problems to have.

If we are thinking of the same opportunity I don’t think he did much wrong with not passing to Harris.....from where I was Harris made the wrong run and was too straight in front of reach to receive the ball...reach held on hoping something might open up or Harris would change his run but it didn’t.

rest of your post I’d agree with though

1 minute ago, Ian said:

If we are thinking of the same opportunity I don’t think he did much wrong with not passing to Harris.....from where I was Harris made the wrong run and was too straight in front of reach to receive the ball...reach held on hoping something might open up or Harris would change his run but it didn’t.

rest of your post I’d agree with though

I'm thinking of an opportunity attacking lepping's lane where a run was made, Reach tried to play the through ball but he just hit it straight to the defender, hopefully something he can work on

I think he's going to have to compete for a place in centre mid. He's going to have to learn how to tackle better, because his workrate and shooting are the main two things which are going for him. As part of a team which is pressing the opposition he has a part to play. But why not just put on a second striker to press the backline? And here in lies Reach's next problem. 

There are only 2 spots for Reach to play for me 

wing or fullback 

no way should he be in the middle 

when Lee Hutch BB and Luongo are fit Even Joey is more suited 

I said before a ball was kicked that I cannot see a place for him in a 433 , personaly think he is a better option than Murphy and Fox in those positions 

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

wing or fullback 

I said before a ball was kicked that I cannot see a place for him in a 433 , personaly think he is a better option than Murphy and Fox in those positions 

I don't think he's more effective than Murphy, and he's yet to fully bed in

Just now, McRightSide said:

It’s the problem with being a footballer, people know when you aren’t home.

Hopefully he’s got a good home security system.

??

Reach's best position is on the wing. He looked lost last night and was clearly under instructions not to drop deep into that massive hole that often appeared in centre mid. If he can be used as an out-and-out winger that will spur him and the others on, competition for places, and all that. Would rather have Lee in CM and am sure he'll be back starting at Preston. Luongo will also be above Reach in the CM pecking order in no time at all.

More worried about a lack of strikers, especially if Fletcher gets a knock.

Edited by chrisf

20 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Reach is a winger. His strengths are crossing. He can “do a job” in centre midfield. We aren’t going to be able to play Murphy and Harris 90 minutes each week out wide. We will have to use all 3. 

We will have to rotate the team but there is clearly a starter side when all available. Is Reach in that side?

30 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

wing or fullback 

Lost me at Joey.

:biggrin:

I'd rather Reach's flip flops in the middle of the pitch.

Or my wheelie in