Reach's place under threat

22 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

We will have to rotate the team but there is clearly a starter side when all available. Is Reach in that side?

For me yes. 8 goals and 7 assist last year playing wide right and played over 40 games. Murphy and Harris have started well, but I just think right now it’s easy to forget how consistent Reach was, plus he offers something different to the other two. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

For me yes. 8 goals and 7 assist last year playing wide right and played over 40 games. Murphy and Harris have started well, but I just think right now it’s easy to forget how consistent Reach was, plus he offers something different to the other two. 

I'd go with this 2 from 3 or 4 if you consider ff for the wide left role.

Reach's best work 1st half yesterday came when he went out wide right and murphy tucked in. 2nd half he played a good 10 or 15 yards further up field and closer to fletcher which pulled the whole team with him but much preffer bannan and lee as the main engine room with hutch holding

57 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Murphy didn't impress me at all last night. Reach should be back on the right wing next week with Murphy to come off the bench. With his pace, that'll terrify the opposites. 

All about opinions...I thought Murphy had a decent game, put the best cross of the game in for Fletcher and had a few good runs

• Like 1

Just now, Stainless said:

I'd go with this 2 from 3 or 4 if you consider ff for the wide left role.

Reach's best work 1st half yesterday came when he went out wide right and murphy tucked in. 2nd half he played a good 10 or 15 yards further up field and closer to fletcher which pulled the whole team with him but much preffer bannan and lee as the main engine room with hutch holding

He’s got a good engine has Reach. He’s not the pacy winger that gets you off your seat the same way Harris does. But he’s very good at getting to the byline and crossing. You need players that offer something different, against teams that sit deep and pace isn’t working you need better delivery = Reach, when a team sits on the halfway line leaving space in behind = Harris. 

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

There are only 2 spots for Reach to play for me 

wing or fullback 

no way should he be in the middle 

when Lee Hutch BB and Luongo are fit Even Joey is more suited 

I said before a ball was kicked that I cannot see a place for him in a 433 , personaly think he is a better option than Murphy and Fox in those positions 

There's no way Reach should be at full back, he cannot tackle. Central midfield is out of the question so I guess wing is the only option. The one thing he brings to the team is tremendous workrate even when things aren't going well 

Guest LittleG
47 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Reach looked like he had no clue what his role was last night.

There were a few in that first half suffering from the same problem; only Lees, Borner and Harris came out with any credit.

He was injured end of last season and since has not produced the sort of form we had from him the start of last season.

Add to that we seem to be finding a role for him in the team instead of picking the best players for the roles, he is an attacking midfielder/left winger, currently Murphy and Harris fill the winger roles, and Bannan is the attacking midfielder would we drop any of these 3 to play Reach.

We look very light weight in midfield last night with Bannan, Hutch, Reach there, Reach lacked energy a Lee/Luongo would bring to the middle of the park and Luton got way too much room in the centre of the field. He picked up in the second half probably after a rollicking from the manager.

For me we change him for either Lee or Luongo at the week end if we jkeep the same formation.

I would prefer us to revert to a 4-4-2 allowing us to play a second striker be that Fessi or Rhodes/Winnall. We are creating a lot of chance but it would be wrong to expect Fletcher to put them all away.

One, massive bonus for us though is the threat from midfield with Harris and Murphy they are both goal creators and goal scorers.

But we are top of the league and doing well, so lets get another 3 points at Preston and the rest will fall into place

2 hours ago, Jaydubz said:

Needs to be dropped. Lee and Luongo far better options for CM. He shouldnt be even entertaining a CM spot. No longer good enough for the LW spot. Good bench option at best when everyone fit.

Couldn't agree more. Always found him lazy. When he comes off his arms must be the only thing that aches as he spends the game directing others to do what he can't, but every now and again he'd get a pearler and he was the neares we had to a winger. His goals are too few and far between, he's proved time and again he can't score a "one on one" and he's not good enough for CMF so with the two new wingers he should warm the bench. Who knows not being an automatic selection, something he has been for ages, may help motivate him a bit more, otherwise off load him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaydubz said:

Needs to be dropped. Lee and Luongo far better options for CM. He shouldnt be even entertaining a CM spot. No longer good enough for the LW spot. Good bench option at best when everyone fit.

I agree that in a squad which includes Lee, Bannan, Hutchinson and Luongo, Reach should be nothing more than a backup central midfielder, but to say that he's a bench option at best seems ridiculously harsh. He's a very good winger at this level, and should be rotated with Harris, Murphy and Forestieri over the course of the season.

We're still talking about a player who's been ever-present in an injury-ravaged squad over the past two seasons, notching 12 league goals and 18 assists along the way.

Played in his natural position, he's one of our best players.

Reach was the catalyst for our 2nd half improvement last night. And then when he went off, our game plan (what I could see of one) went out of the window, and we let them back in to it.

The reason we were poor in the 1st half was that Hutchinson constantly dropped in between the 2 centre halves leaving a huge gap in the middle, which Reach then had to drop in to. The weak link yesterday was (and I'll get shot for this) Hutch... his pass completion must have been awful, he didn't play as a midfielder until the second half, he gave away at least 5 free kicks in dangerous positions, and his sitting deep effectively left us with 10 men (please note that Bullen must've seen this as well, and credit to him for daring to challenge him into changing). But, he did a good flying tackle and nearly started an attack.... so we must all love him or else!

• Like 1

He's not a central midfield player for me, he can be seen as cover and in a 3 doesn't get quite so exposed, but he lacks the physical side of the game to be a first choice starter in that position. I thought it quite strange that he was preferred to Luongo if I'm honest.

From what I've seen of Murphy so far, he seems to blow hot and cold so I see him and Reach competing for that wing/wing forward spot.

I think it says something about how strong our squad now looks, that Reach may not be a guaranteed starter.

3 hours ago, Jaydubz said:

No longer good enough for the wing spot?

When did he lose his ability? June or July? Because up to May he was our best winger by light years.

• Like 2