4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Things have changed during that time, Wigan were able to borrow a player valued at 15m from Chelsea. Us borrowing a player Newcastle will practically give away, is actually not that big a deal. Why accept the mediocre

Fair point, I was being a good bit facetious for effect. But he was thrilling on the ball. Worked hard too. Wasn’t fit when he arrived, did well until he succumbed to the Middlewood twilight zone. Hands tied with FFP, we’d be mad to turn down any sort of cheap deal IMO.

Agree re: not accepting mediocrity; he’s anything but though. Fitness remains a question, sire, but if it’s a good loan deal then we don’t hamstring ourselves even if he does.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Fair point, I was being a good bit facetious for effect. But he was thrilling on the ball. Worked hard too. Wasn’t fit when he arrived, did well until he succumbed to the Middlewood twilight zone. Hands tied with FFP, we’d be mad to turn down any sort of cheap deal IMO.

Agree re: not accepting mediocrity; he’s anything but though. Fitness remains a question, sire, but if it’s a good loan deal then we don’t hamstring ourselves even if he does.

Actually he was impressive in his limited appearances, and he did give us something we’ve been lacking. There are fitness concerns, although none of us know whether they are ongoing or not. My main issue would be, how do we use a player like that, other than from the bench. If we continue to play just the one up front, you need those just behind and out wide, to contribute goals. A lot of goals, if we persist with Fletcher as our main striker. 

Aarons simply doesn’t score enough goals.

Guest wilyfox

I like him, but he came with a reputation of niggling injuries and lived up to it. Of a good age, but am I confident he's capable of 30+ apps/season? Probably not. If he were dirt cheap - like free - cos Newcastle want rid, then tempting, but not for a fee. Chances are he would breakdown again repeatedly. 

3 hours ago, snaykz said:

Exactly the sort of pacy, creative player we should be targeting. With a full preseason under his belt, he’ll be less susceptible to injury. 

If our fans are really turning their noses up at Aarons, I’ve genuinely no idea who they’re expecting us to sign. 

What a fantastic post.

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

I’m not advocating we pay big money for him (or any money at all for that matter) but with him being surplus to requirements at Newcastle, we’d be foolish not to explore taking him on loan again or signing him in a short-term contract similar to the one that is rumoured Lee has been offered (where he has to prove his fitness to convert it into a longer term contract).   

3 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

We're fast becoming the go-to club for crocks to prove themselves.

All well and good for the players but come October when the season is up and running we're lagging behind.

Obviously, you wouldn't sign him if he's crooked; you'd sign him if he's fit but only on a short term contract so that he can prove he's not going to break down again from the same injury. He would have to be signed to contribute immediately. 

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Should be a last resort option in my opinion. I'd rather us take a youngster from the Prem on loan. 

And to be honest Aarons might not want to take a contract on significantly reduced terms. He'll be on a fair bit at Newcastle. It's just a very risky signing. A loan maybe, but I would rather we use our money on someone who is proven to be more reliable. 

Signing a youngster from the Prem would be a  - could be great, could be rhubarb. We definitely know that Aaron's can bring something to the team. The risk is his fitness and that is why I would either take him on loan or sign him on a short-term contract where he has to prove he can stay fit to activate a longer term. 

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Should be a last resort option in my opinion. I'd rather us take a youngster from the Prem on loan

And to be honest Aarons might not want to take a contract on significantly reduced terms. He'll be on a fair bit at Newcastle. It's just a very risky signing. A loan maybe, but I would rather we use our money on someone who is proven to be more reliable. 

I agree. If only we could find a decent 23/24 year old from the premiership 

lol

A 6-month loan deal with a view to extending this in January IMO. He's a good player IMO and stretches the opponents in a way JJ used to.

He managed 22 appearances across two teams last season so although not ideal it's not terrible. Players tend to pick up niggling injuries when they don't have a run of games/proper preseason.

Some good points made. 

His fitness is questionable and with FFP you can't carry passengers like we've been doing only playing and fit for a handful of games a season. 

There's definate quality there and pace which were sadly lacking and while he didn't get many goals, maybe with a good run of games and improved fitness they would come. 

There's also the fact that bannan hardly scored more than a couple of goals a season, but he creates plenty of chances for others to score, so for me an assist is as good as a goal. 

Definatley puts a shift in and works his socks off when he's played and has great enthusiasm. 

Wages may be high too, so there's that to take in to consideration, but for the right deal could be very good for us. 

For me he basically ticks as many plus points as negatives, but let's wait and see if Bruce has someone else lined up on the radar. 

I don't really care who we sign this year, as long as there younger, fitter legs with plenty of graft, enthusiasm and the right attitude. As I'm getting fed up of the likes of Jones, Boyd, Butterfield and joao just wandering out onto the pitch and strolling around as if they've got the beach towel over the shoulder. 

11 hours ago, snaykz said:

Exactly the sort of pacy, creative player we should be targeting. With a full preseason under his belt, he’ll be less susceptible to injury. 

If our fans are really turning their noses up at Aarons, I’ve genuinely no idea who they’re expecting us to sign. 

Someone who can play more than 10 games a season. 

The ones that want him will be gutted Fat Gary has gone, think Rhodes will be good for us next season, design kits to see what people think and hardly ever go to Hillsborough 

10 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Absolute LOLZ, most Wednesday thing ever that our fans are genuinely kicking the tyres on Aarons.

Four years ago it would’ve been absolutely inconceivable we’d get a look-in on a loan deal for that sort of young Prem talent.

It wasn’t long before that we were all excited about Stevie May coming in.

We nust be one of the most confused and confusing fanbases in the entire football league. Madness.

If he wants in, gerrim in.

Are you thinking back to around that time when we could only get a loan deal for that untalented old man from league 2 called Ross Barkley?

lol

We do need someone with Aarons' pace but it need not be someone that may cost as much as him or with his possible injury problems. The threat of pace can be very effective even if the end product is not always top quality. I wouldn't be overly upset if we loaned him again but it seems any real money we have to spend on a permanent signing could be much better used in other areas.

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

We definitely need this type of player.  Not convinced we need Rolando.

Csnt see us going down the same route of signing players with poor injury records under bruce..your right , we need pacy , direct wingers , but i just think Aaron's is probably too much of a risk.  

Guest wilyfox
6 hours ago, james o connor said:

Nope. This is the season the obsession with injured players stops . 

..Rolando signs 3yr deal :ph34r: