Sorry But It Has To Be Said

There’s obviously all sorts of theory’s doing the rounds. But I don’t think it’s a fall out or personal issue. 

Its either a contractual thing, a bonus perhaps, and we simply can’t afford (under P&S rules) to pay out. Or he’s due a contract extension based on number of games played, and we’re not allowed to extend it due to P&S rules. 

Or perhaps he’s going to be leaving shortly, therefore Jos made the decision to let his team settle with the keepers who will be here come September. Let’s not forget that Wildsmith and Dawson were tremendous when they were called on last season. Westwood is an excellent keeper, don’t get me wrong. But I’m slightly less concerned about this position than other potential outgoings simply because we have two young prospects who have more than proved themselves to be capable at this level.

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Listen

I know everyone is confused about this one BUT if one thing is for sure it's most definitely not a case of Jos thinks the young lads are better keepers.

It'll be something behind the scenes that we don't know about whether it's a personality thing or whether it's a contractual thing

Anyone sat thinking it's Jos choosing the young un's over Westwood purely on ability needs to sit and think before posting because I can absolutely guarantee it won't be.

Agreed.

It seems like he's been "frozen out"...... a bit of a recurring theme this, and NOT the way to carry on as a football club. Utterly bizarre if this is the case.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Listen

I know everyone is confused about this one BUT if one thing is for sure it's most definitely not a case of Jos thinks the young lads are better keepers.

It'll be something behind the scenes that we don't know about whether it's a personality thing or whether it's a contractual thing

Anyone sat thinking it's Jos choosing the young un's over Westwood purely on ability needs to sit and think before posting because I can absolutely guarantee it won't be.

We need the wisdom of Big Chief Whitefoot to tell us how it is ?

anyone seen him ? 

sittbull.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Picking up on points already made in the Fernando thread.........

Westwood should be our no.1 keeper.

If Jos thinks the two young keepers are better than Westwood he's a prize plum. Can already see him having a shortened shelf life if he makes any other cockups.

Ime lost as to whats happening with Westwood, too late for a transfer now so surely he should play for us Saturday.

3 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Maybe Jo's (and the club) are taking the long term perspective.

Perhaps the think that our two young keepers have the potential to become as good or even better than Westwood, and fear that if they continue to play Westwood, who I agree is probably the better keeper at present, they risk losing one of the youngsters.

I suspect that neither JW or CD would settle for third choice.:picnic:

The long term perspective of JL coincides with the short term financial requirements!

JW and CD would not settle for third choice, but JW brave though he was and brilliant shot stopper as he showed, made some bad mistakes and surely ought to be loaned out to play in a first team every week somewhere to develop, maybe in League 1.

1 minute ago, victorturner said:

He might not be finished here if he is still on the books after Aug but they will be trying to get him out. Funnily enough, quite a few of our other so called stars are not as high quality as him,  having failed to be outstanding  here or at their previous clubs around our level and I could face them going much more easily.

But from the manager's point of view he'll recognise he has two capable players at the club in his position. It's a matter of opinion of course but I'd argue losing Bannan or Forestieri would have a bigger effect on the team. Westwood is a player you'd think would gain interest from other clubs, someone like Fletcher or Abdi would be harder to shift. 

29 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I think it depends what the plan is, if we’re thinking past this season then I can’t see the value that playing Westwood gives us - I don’t think we’ll be promoted with / without him. 

Will playing another add value, experience and set him up ready for next season, certainly! 

For me it’s not too dissimilar to the Hirst situation. Other than the short term playing either adds no long term value to our club. Unless you’re playing them with view to selling in Jan, and with all respect Westwood has nothing to prove in shop window. 

That said, same could be said of Matias:Preston, Pudil, Thornely / JvA etc. 

The last east few seasons have brought a very short term way of thinking to our club and hopefully we now have a longer term plan. 

Strong logic. Let's just play all the academy players to 'add value and experience' shall we. 

What a completely bizarre post.

Remember when Jos came out saying Hutchinson was injured, but Sam apparently said he was fit. Well He’s now back in the squad.

maybe it’s a case of if you can’t meet certain criteria set by Jo’s fitness wise, you don’t play. Jos’ English isn’t great, so maybe he calls this ‘injured’. Meanwhile the player claims to be fit.

quite possibly not the case, but I know as much as everyone else in here, bugger all, so may as well throw another theory out there.

22 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

People love a conspiracy tho and to say 'in my opinion' as if they haveafuckin clue. 

Jos has been straight forward, in my opinion thats why he's saying nowt. 

The less some on here understand the whole situation, the more shouty and opinionated they get.

Jos has to do what he's got to do.

8 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

How many minutes have you seen him play since the beginning of July and who against?

I've seen us concede three goals in our first game.

I saw Westwood keep clean sheets galore and single-handedly keep us in games.

Even when he's been unfit he hasn't conceded.

I'd say that's some going.

11 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

Strong logic. Let's just play all the academy players to 'add value and experience' shall we. 

What a completely bizarre post.

Not all no, but given choice of player who will definitely not be here next season vs player who will definitely be here next season I’d prefer in a season of transition/not challenging to gain experience. 

I don't think he was right before his injury.

My lasting memories of Westwood last season are the near post shot of Duffy going in.

Some wild distribution. A bizarre walkabout against Sunderland and a tame volley against Brentford.

He didn't look himself at all to me.

I'm not sure what he's like since his injury as he hasn't played.

Previous experience tells me he should still be our best keeper.

But I have absolutley no way of knowing until I see him in action again.