Sorry But It Has To Be Said

4 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Whatever, it's another PR disaster without a full explanation from the club.

why is it a PR  disaster just because a manager doesn't say why he prefers one player over another …...does Klopp or Mourinho explain why they left someone out .?

13 minutes ago, torryowl said:

why is it a PR  disaster just because a manager doesn't say why he prefers one player over another …...does Klopp or Mourinho explain why they left someone out .?

PR is a lesser issue with this one- team morale and unity is a bigger potential issue for me.

Westwood has been here a while, he's an experienced international.footballer and will no doubt have the ear of several members of the squad who are also well aware of his abilities.

It's a big call from (presumably) Jos to sideline him and it heaps pressure on Dawson/Wildsmith- a couple of errors and you can bet your life there'll be rumblings in the dressing room.

If Westwood plays one more game it triggers a new contract for him. This new contract would then take us over what our  ffp guidelines say we can spend or breaches part of the embargo that says we can’t offer new contracts to players.

(Just made this up now but sounds like could be true!)

I agree @theowlsman although I have to say I’d be amazed if it happens.

Our strategy is crystal clear when it comes to KW.

Firstly we have sought to alienate and diminish his status in the hope that the player and his agent will force a move. Either in the transfer window which has now failed or next by way of a loan with a future fee tied to it. The latter seems unlikely but big clubs do like plenty of quality keeper cover and obviously have the financial resources.

Its not really what I’d call a strategy more a knee jerk reaction from the club. We’ve backed ourselves into a corner with this one again, picking Westwood now after the events of the last few weeks will cause a loss of face and ultimately make us look more foolish than we already do.

I was not against a KW sale, but this looks messy and amateurish.

His presence in the side could save us half a dozen goals over the course of a season IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

Firstly we have sought to alienate and diminish his status in the hope that the player and his agent will force a move. Either in the transfer window which has now failed or next by way of a loan with a future fee tied to it. The latter seems unlikely but big clubs do like plenty of quality keeper cover and obviously have the financial resources.

Its not really what I’d call a strategy more a knee jerk reaction from the club. We’ve backed ourselves into a corner with this one again, picking Westwood now after the events of the last few weeks will cause a loss of face and ultimately make us look more foolish than we already do.

His presence in the side could save us half a dozen goals over the course of a season IMO. 

At least.

But more importantly, provide confidence to the defence that if they mess up, they have a reliable keeper behind them. Its about the defensive unit, not just the keeper.

Jesus

A lot of slagging off the club, manager, chairman in here

First of all - if he’s on an appearance bonus and soon to break it, we’re right to not play him with the current situation 

Secondly - if we can still sell him on a loan to permanent move, then no, he shouldn’t be playing on Saturday either

Finally, neither of the above are up to Jos. I am sure Jos WOULD pick Westwood if he could, he’s a quality keeper but just looking at the situation he’s obivously got his hands tied and has had to deal with it like he has and not filter all the truth out into the press

So no, we don’t ‘deserve all we get’ if he doesn’t play Saturday. 

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

Jesus

A lot of slagging off the club, manager, chairman in here

First of all - if he’s on an appearance bonus and soon to break it, we’re right to not play him with the current situation 

Secondly - if we can still sell him on a loan to permanent move, then no, he shouldn’t be playing on Saturday either

Finally, neither of the above are up to Jos. I am sure Jos WOULD pick Westwood if he could, he’s a quality keeper but just looking at the situation he’s obivously got his hands tied and has had to deal with it like he has and not filter all the truth out into the press

So no, we don’t ‘deserve all we get’ if he doesn’t play Saturday. 

It’s not an appearance trigger..but if it was..who’s fault would it be ..Westwood’s agent or SWFC??

27 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

PR is a lesser issue with this one- team morale and unity is a bigger potential issue for me.

Westwood has been here a while, he's an experienced international.footballer and will no doubt have the ear of several members of the squad who are also well aware of his abilities.

It's a big call from (presumably) Jos to sideline him and it heaps pressure on Dawson/Wildsmith-

a couple of errors and you can bet your life there'll be rumblings in the dressing room.

agreed. and there is more chance of this happening now KW has stayed.

Had he gone today, the two young ones would have grown in confidence imo, more likely to have stepped up to the plate. but with KW lurking in the shadows, and rumblings in the stand, its doubtful either of the two will play to their potential. 

which isnt great for us. need to get KW back in the net and get his value up a bit till Jan transfer window, if  hes playing well we could still get money for him, more than if he rots with the U23s.

18 minutes ago, Morepork said:

How have we sought to alienate him? 

I’ve not seen any shred of evidence to back that up. All I’ve seen is Jos saying he’s picked Wildsmith and Dawson - he’s not criticised KW, he’s not tried to ruin his reputation. The club have stayed silent. Which is clearly causing more harm than good because we’re all putting theories together.

4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I’ve not seen any shred of evidence to back that up. All I’ve seen is Jos saying he’s picked Wildsmith and Dawson - he’s not criticised KW, he’s not tried to ruin his reputation. The club have stayed silent. Which is clearly causing more harm than good because we’re all putting theories together.

I agree a massive amount of criticism is being unleashed based on speculation.

Maybe the plan was to sell KW and the deal fell through. Simple as.

Theories are one thing but to dish out stick to all and sundry based on them is neither fair nor sensible.

Edited by Rev Owl

16 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I think you answered your own question there. He’s clearly the best keeper at the club, current international and the club act like he’s invisible. If that’s not alienating him then I don’t know what is.

21 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

agreed. and there is more chance of this happening now KW has stayed.

Had he gone today, the two young ones would have grown in confidence imo, more likely to have stepped up to the plate. but with KW lurking in the shadows, and rumblings in the stand, its doubtful either of the two will play to their potential. 

which isnt great for us. need to get KW back in the net and get his value up a bit till Jan transfer window, if  hes playing well we could still get money for him, more than if he rots with the U23s.

I disagree. They’re professional footballers who want to play. Dawson and Wildsmith have been presented golden opportunities to be no.1. They will / should love this opportunity. 

Whilst I appreciate KW will be far from happy with the situation, maybe just he’s understanding of it and actually encouraging his team mates.

None of us have any idea why he’s not playing - is it p&s/ffp related? Or is it Jos dropping him?

My own take on it is that I really can’t see any manager taking the decision to make a keeper, of KWs calibre, 3rd choice - without similar talent or better at the club.

To my mind his has to be a contractual / P&S related problem, and Jos is simply managing the situation by keeping the focus on his decision rather the negativity of a contractual /p&s issue. 

Edited by bigdan2003

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

I think you answered your own question there. He’s clearly the best keeper at the club, current international and the club act like he’s invisible. If that’s not alienating him then I don’t know what is.

So they haven’t said anything in the media  that alienated him? 

Glad you agree. 

2 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I disagree. They’re professional footballers who want to play. Dawson and Wildsmith have been presented golden opportunities to be no.1. They will / should love this opportunity. 

Whilst I appreciate KW will be far from happy with the situation, maybe just he’s understanding of it and actually encouraging his team mates.

None of us have any idea why he’s not playing - is it p&s/ffp related? Or is it Jos dropping him?

My own take on it is that I really can’t see any manager taking the decision to make a keeper, of KWs calibre, 3rd choice - without similar talent or better at the club.

To my mind his has to be a contractual / P&S related problem, and Jos is simply managing the situation by keeping the focus on his decision rather the negativity of a contractual /p&s issue. 

I never said the didnt want to play, or that they havent been given a golden opportunity, and i also agree that they should be loving it. But in real terms, there's an International keeper sitting in the wings who is better than them. that is defo gonna give added pressure to them, compared to if KW had left today. its human nature.

Hopefully one of them will be able to cope with it. time will tell.

re P&s etc, i havent speculated about that sort of stuff re KW cos i just dont know.

3 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Bottom line is there are 4 players who are key if there are any chance of promotion FF, hooper, bannan and Westwood.  Defence is weaker and need best keeper. 

I’ll stop you worrying / thinking about it . There is a zero chance of promotion with or without these players... 

5 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I’ll stop you worrying / thinking about it . There is a zero chance of promotion with or without these players... 

thats not exactly true though is it. while highly likely, its doubtful Jos will throw he towel in as early as you.

if he can make us compact and hard to beat, we have players of quality in the final 3rd who can make the difference and win a game for us by the odd goal. 

take one game at a time. we probably have more chance right now (squad wise) as Cardiff had after 1 game last year.

while i dont think we will go up, we aint as crap as lots are saying.  top half for me.