Jack Hunt from #SWFC to Bristol City

12 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

Thinking about it, the strangest thing for me about all this is why Hunt has accepted the move! Presumably won't be paid more, he's from Yorkshire originally... Assurances of a starting place? Bristol city must have guaranteed it and perhaps Jos refused to.

They've offered him a 3 year deal I think? Considering his age and injury issues (over the last season in particular) if he has another poor season with injury, the contract offers may be less in terms of security for a player who would then approaching 30 with an injury record even on a free assuming he saw out his contract.

A 3 year contract on presumably similar wages at a decent Championship club is a good move for him, an understand why he would be interested

44 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

Thinking about it, the strangest thing for me about all this is why Hunt has accepted the move! Presumably won't be paid more, he's from Yorkshire originally... Assurances of a starting place? Bristol city must have guaranteed it and perhaps Jos refused to.

Maybe Jos has told him that he won't be first choice as he's looking to bring in a different type of player for his position & that he's unlikely to be offered a new contract next year.

Even if he's offered the same money at Bristol City he'll get a signing on fee & will be due a loyalty bonus from us as he hasn't asked for a transfer.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Hunt is one of our better players, poor start to our business is this.

Backward step.

Selling players that are in your best 11 makes you weaker, regardless if he's a fans favourite or not.

He really isn’t one of our better players and the alternative could have been him leaving for nothing in less than a year. 

We have to sell players in these situations to ensure financially stability. Letting players walk on a free is madness.

£1.6m or £1.75m (whatever the figure is) is decent business in the circumstances.

1 minute ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Hunt is one of our better players, poor start to our business is this.

Backward step.

I disagree, personally I'd be far more concerned if we lost one of our best or key players, such as Lees, Bannan or Forestieri. Although Hunt was good for us, he wasn't one of our best players. If we can replace with someone younger on loan or on a free, plus strengthen one or two other areas, then there shouldn't be any issue with trimming and freshening up the squad. I don't see it as a move that considerably strengthens Bristol City or considerably weakens us. If we have a fitter and younger squad, keep our key players and freshen things up with youngsters and loanees or frees then it could be argued that, that should make us stronger rather than weaker. In my opinion it's a good move for Wednesday, Hunt and Bristol City.

This leaves us terrifyingly light at right back.  Palmer has shown time and time again he's not good enough in this league.  I like Hunt, I think he's a solid performer that you can, for the most part, rely on for a solid performance.  And £1.6m doesn't sound like a lot for a solid Championship player, 1 year left on contract or not.

Just not bothered...

The sale of Hunt is very dependent on his replacement...assuming there is one. 

If we bring in a young, athletic wing back, then fine. I'd still feel that £1.6m for a modern day full back in his prime is having your pants pulled down...regardless of his contract status. For a comparison...Bristol's Joe Bryan, is very similar to Hunt in terms of the type of player he is, has played a lot less games at this level, but is a couple of years younger...he's out of contract in 12 months time...what is Bristol's asking price? £10m. I'm not saying they'll get that...but it's a long way off the £1.6m were been robbed for. 

However, if we rely on Liam Palmer and Ash Baker...we'll soon realise how fortunate we were having Hunt at right back.

I simply cannot agree with anybody who tries to justify Palmer as a suitable ready made replacement. Palmer is lazy, has the heart of a pea, and is inferior both offensively and defensively. He's poor...always has been, and has shown no improvement since he's been moved to right back. From the brief performance we saw from Baker on the final day, I'd suggest Baker has more in his locker than Palmer has, already. 

A loan deal for Byram...just doesn't add up. By all accounts a move to Forest is agreed, they are just waiting for West Ham to sign a right back themselves. But a loan deal for Byram wouldn't be cheap also. I reckon we'd be looking at a loan fee of close to Hunt's transfer fee, and his wages will undoubtedly be higher than Hunt's. All that for a player that isn't our own. It wouldn't make any financial sense whatsoever. 

A loan move for Ola Aina, who was at Hull last season, may be an interesting alternative. Still pretty raw, but played a lot of games last season, is lightening quick and physically strong. If we're looking to reinvest, Nathan Byrne could be a shrewd signing. He's out of contract in 12 months time, and so should cost less than Hunt, both in transfer fee and wages. Can play all the way down the right flank, and has pace and a bit of quality in the final third also. 

Edited by frastheowl

4 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

This leaves us terrifyingly light at right back.  Palmer has shown time and time again he's not good enough in this league.  I like Hunt, I think he's a solid performer that you can, for the most part, rely on for a solid performance.  And £1.6m doesn't sound like a lot for a solid Championship player, 1 year left on contract or not.

100% this.

palmer is clearly not good enough ,I hope he aint on a great deal of money as he is shocking as a right back ,so many times last season he was so poor. a league 2 player for me. if hunt goes exactly who is coming in? decent players go for stupid money so unless its an out of contract player it has to be a loan of a youngish player from a premier league team. I will reserve my judgement on our transfer business until deadline day ,we know we have to wheel and deal for the next 2-3 years until these huge annual losses are out of the 3 year ffp cycle . question is though what contacts doe jos have? we know that certain English managers have many contacts in the game ,I doubt jos knows anyone in the English game , but I was and still am hoping that the dutch and german market can/will be explored 

9 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

An established 1st team player whose contract expires next summer

That means we'd need to offer him a new (improved?) 2-3yr deal before Christmas or else risk losing him for nowt

Or, sell him now for a profit and trust the manager to come up with a worthy replacement

I'm cool with this, although I've always appreciated Jack Hunt as a player

His injury problems are well documented (hope he has no problems passing the medical) and despite the effort he'd put in his form was often erratic

But in three seasons he never managed a goal and for me that's a mark against

I never expected him to be the next Zico but I would hope to see two or three goals a season scored from right back, perhaps more from RWB

You might well be thinking along the same lines as the manager.

Jos seems to me to be extremely competent and strong minded...he's got my full support.........until the first 0-0 when I'll start screaming to get him sacked.

Guest Arcadianrocket

1.6m is still a joke for one of the better right backs in the league.

If we had auctioned Hunt off to the league we would have got closer to 3m. 

5 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

1.6m is still a joke for one of the better right backs in the league.

If we had auctioned Hunt off to the league we would have got closer to 3m. 

How do you go about auctioning a player to the league? Not seen that method of selling a player used before. We should do it if we’ll double our money.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

It's time for Ash Baker to step up, excellent player. 

Sam Hutchinson's position was right back at Chelsea though I think his best position is now middle of a back 3. 

I'm certain Jos will have someone lined up, I can still see Palmer departing too before start of season.

1 hour ago, striker said:

They've offered him a 3 year deal I think? Considering his age and injury issues (over the last season in particular) if he has another poor season with injury, the contract offers may be less in terms of security for a player who would then approaching 30 with an injury record even on a free assuming he saw out his contract.

A 3 year contract on presumably similar wages at a decent Championship club is a good move for him, an understand why he would be interested

1 hour ago, mogbad said:

Maybe Jos has told him that he won't be first choice as he's looking to bring in a different type of player for his position & that he's unlikely to be offered a new contract next year.

Even if he's offered the same money at Bristol City he'll get a signing on fee & will be due a loyalty bonus from us as he hasn't asked for a transfer.

Two great posts, very helpful, cheers.

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

How do you go about auctioning a player to the league? Not seen that method of selling a player used before. We should do it if we’ll double our money.

You click "offer to clubs" then make sure "exclude domestic clubs is unticked" 

Ask for £3m.

Then wait a day and watch the offers come rolling in, easy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3