Jack Hunt from #SWFC to Bristol City

Jack Hunt will in my opinion be very good for a little bit of the time, occasionally MOM performance.

Mostly he will be good enough, and rarely will he be poor.

That would be good enough, if he was available for selection more.   Last season may have been the Carlos effect so his appearances maybe take with a pinch of salt, but on the off chance not - then i'd definitely say invest the time and effort in a different person now who will be less expensive on the wages.

It may be that Jos has identified that he wants something different from his fullbacks/wingbacks which may be why he almost crippled us offensively with a flat back five at times last season - because he felt what he had available wouldn't work otherwise.

Imo was a solid 6-7 most games, 1 of few with pace so forwards rarely got the better of him 1v1, just lacked end product and has questionable durability.

If we bring in someone at least as good fine, but might be easier said than done on a budget

Very telling move.

Personally not a fan of this, I like Hunt he does a job at RB and as we know you do not need an excellent fullback to get you promoted in this division.

Judging by what Dom Howson & Biggsy have said on Twitter as he only had 1 year left on his contract and we need to SELL players/reduce the wage bill for FFP reasons Hunt has been moved oppose to us losing somebody like Bannan/Hooper/Westwood/Forestieri. I would rather us make those decisions while we are still in control now than in 12 months time we may risk losing our best players for free (Bannan,Lee, Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Westwood - contracts all expire next summer) or we find ourselves in a position where we HAVE to sell our best players because we accumulate so much debt. (Consecutive loss making seasons & increasing debt mean further FFP limitations and restrictions which would make promotion virtually impossible).

I gather we are still OK FFP wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if we also sold Westwood or even Joao, with Rhodes loan departure on the horizon too if we are to sign any players at all to bolster the squad it looks like we must drastically reduce the wage bill and sell some first.

Based on those FFP reasons it makes sense to let Hunt go, if i'm wrong however its a move I'm against. He's been solid these last 3 seasons, he struggled last year with injury but so did everyone else...those first two seasons playing with Wallace down the right side we were very dangerous and we are really going to struggle to replace the threat he and Wallace provided. Don't forget along with Lees/Loovens and Westwood, Hunt has been a regular part of our record breaking defence (clean sheets) the last few seasons?

I find it bizarre some fans think an academy prospect or Liam Palmer are viable options for our first choice RB/RWB for the whole season, we don't need a superstar to play there but Hunt was fast, able to beat a man, worked hard, very experienced and perfect for the wingback position....hopefully Hunt's departure along with others paves the way for us being able to bring in a quality CB or LB, positions where we are desperately short and in need of strengthening.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

7 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Very telling move.

Personally not a fan of this, I like Hunt he does a job at RB and as we know you do not need an excellent fullback to get you promoted in this division.

Judging by what Dom Howson & Biggsy have said on Twitter as he only had 1 year left on his contract and we need to SELL players/reduce the wage bill for FFP reasons Hunt has been moved oppose to us losing somebody like Bannan/Hooper/Westwood/Forestieri. I would rather us make those decisions while we are still in control now than in 12 months time we may risk losing our best players for free (Bannan,Lee, Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Westwood - contracts all expire next summer) or we find ourselves in a position where we HAVE to sell our best players because we accumulate so much debt. (Consecutive loss making seasons & increasing debt mean further FFP limitations and restrictions which would make promotion virtually impossible).

I gather we are still OK FFP wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if we also sold Westwood or even Joao, with Rhodes loan departure on the horizon too if we are to sign any players at all to bolster the squad it looks like we must drastically reduce the wage bill and sell some first.

Based on those FFP reasons it makes sense to let Hunt go, if i'm wrong however its a move I'm against. He's been solid these last 3 seasons, he struggled last year with injury but so did everyone else...those first two seasons playing with Wallace down the right side we were very dangerous and we are really going to struggle to replace the threat he and Wallace provided. Don't forget along with Lees/Loovens and Westwood, Hunt has been a regular part of our record breaking defence (clean sheets) the last few seasons?

I find it bizarre some fans think an academy prospect or Liam Palmer are viable options for our first choice RB/RWB for the whole season, we don't need a superstar to play there but Hunt was fast, able to beat a man, worked hard, very experienced and perfect for the wingback position....hopefully Hunt's departure along with others paves the way for us being able to bring in a quality CB or LB, positions where we are desperately short and in need of strengthening.

Very well written and thought out post. 

I think Hunt is a huge talent, vastly underrated and probably better than he looks based on fact he was often left isolated due to Wallace getting on a bit. 

That said, he’s not getting any younger, was signed on decent wages and with one year left on contract he’s looking at 3 year investment. It feels right to me, in current state to cash in, reinvest.

Also I think we may not need a RB or RWB if we end up playing 343. We may see Boyd or new recruit on the right of a midfield 4. Reach seems perfect for that role on left, Boyd may be ok on right although not as quick as I’d like.

Only think this as I’m sure we stumbled upon fact that Fessi can be a hard working forward as can Jaoa. With A.N. Other spearheading that, need a hard working player behind each, not necessarily a winger as they will be supporting the forwards rather than being main threat. 

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

He seemed to be getting more and more injury prone so that may have played a part. Having said that it annoys me we have to get rid of him when fletcher , abdi , Jones etc are still here contributing nothing 

Nothing to say they can't contribute going forward and I'm sure the case could be made that Fletcher already has done so.  Abdi certainly has the ability and history to say that he can still come good. 

8 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Very well written and thought out post. 

I think Hunt is a huge talent, vastly underrated and probably better than he looks based on fact he was often left isolated due to Wallace getting on a bit. 

That said, he’s not getting any younger, was signed on decent wages and with one year left on contract he’s looking at 3 year investment. It feels right to me, in current state to cash in, reinvest.

Also I think we may not need a RB or RWB if we end up playing 343. We may see Boyd or new recruit on the right of a midfield 4. Reach seems perfect for that role on left, Boyd may be ok on right although not as quick as I’d like.

Only think this as I’m sure we stumbled upon fact that Fessi can be a hard working forward as can Jaoa. With A.N. Other spearheading that, need a hard working player behind each, not necessarily a winger as they will be supporting the forwards rather than being main threat. 

Something like this?

Westwood

Lees      Pudil      van Aken

Boyd      Pelupessy      Bannan      Reach

João      Nuhiu      Forestieri

That could be interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

He seemed to be getting more and more injury prone so that may have played a part. Having said that it annoys me we have to get rid of him when fletcher , abdi , Jones etc are still here contributing nothing 

Who on earth are goin to want fletcher abdi Jones etc? You can only get rid if somebody wants em..somebody like banana or ff will have to be sold to fund the big wages of the crocks..imo

3 minutes ago, Watson said:

Nothing to say they can't contribute going forward and I'm sure the case could be made that Fletcher already has done so.  Abdi certainly has the ability and history to say that he can still come good. 

Not goin to happen...let’s have a bit of reality on the forum

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Something like this?

Westwood

I can never get positions correct typing in the mobile! Exactly like that. With options too! 

Fessi / Matias 

Nuhiu / Fletch / Winnal / Rhodes / Hooper

Jaoa / Lee / Hooper / Matias 

Boyd / Lee

Bannan / Lee

Pessi / Jones / Hutch / Lee

Hutch / Thornley in for any of back three. 

Leaves us light at left mid, but Bannan can fit in worst case. Also I’d hope Penney could get some chances...

Just what I was thinking based on how do we fit three up top! And with no recognized wingbacks. 

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Something like this?

Westwood

We played that team at the end of last season. Only problem is that it’s signifianctly weakened as Boyd and Van Aken are in instead of Hunt and Venancio.

One thing I would definately do next season is play with a front 3. Let FF drift in from the left - his best position. Whether we go with 3 centre backs or a conventional back 4 remains to be seen. The reason I’m a big advocate of 4-3-3 Ian that Lee and Bannan are  suited to playing in a midfield 3 and I like my team to have control in the middle. 

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We played that team at the end of last season. Only problem is that it’s signifianctly weakened as Boyd and Van Aken are in instead of Hunt and Venancio.

One thing I would definately do next season is play with a front 3. Let FF drift in from the left - his best position. Whether we go with 3 centre backs or a conventional back 4 remains to be seen. The reason I’m a big advocate of 4-3-3 Ian that Lee and Bannan are  suited to playing in a midfield 3 and I like my team to have control in the middle. 

Only trying to make sense of what we have on the books at moment, I’m sure between now and end of transfer window the puzzle pieces will change. Also based on Jos short tenure I’m sure he’ll have bourses for courses approach too. 

But as as it stands, if we played something like that I’d be happy with squad and confident of top half - top ten finish, even if we sold another 3-4 players I’d still feel confident. 

8 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Very telling move.

Everyone to their own but I want the best we can get in every position , and Hunt aint that 

Shocking crosser of the ball . consistently lost his man at the back post and couldn't even hit the target never mind score a goal in the 3 seasons he has been here . 

Also lost the ball a lot in the last 3rd putting us under pressure 

I have been banging on about how poor Hunt is for ages , glad Jos thinks the same .

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Everyone to their own but I want the best we can get in every position , and Hunt aint that 

Shocking crosser of the ball . consistently lost his man at the back post and couldn't even hit the target never mind score a goal in the 3 seasons he has been here . 

Also lost the ball a lot in the last 3rd putting us under pressure 

I have been banging on about how poor Hunt is for ages , glad Jos thinks the same .

Indeed, everyone to their own but you have been wrong for ages then. 

Hunt or any of our fullbacks for that matter were given a hopeless job by CC as they were asked to provide the width (high up the pitch because we were so narrow) and also expected to defend as well. We were asking them to do the job of a wingback. Because of the system we played the fullbacks had no cover when they went forward so left us wide open, they were also often left 1v1 against the opposition winger because of our narrow midfield. The only exception to the above was when Hutch played in midfield and either by design / Hutch being tactically aware / natural game dropped deep to more or less give us a back three so the fullbacks now had some sort of cover and could operate as wingbacks...not fullbacks.

For me the opposition sussed our fullbacks were the key to our success in the first season under CC as they were playing so high and we were flying. They soon realised that by stopping that threat you could nullify us and if they set up with width they would create us problems. 

Pudil played pretty well in that role until his legs went (and until we got sussed) and we have struggled ever since for a decent left back. Hunt gave his all up and down the flank with little help either attacking or defending, but yes he had his limitations and Palmer had a run at it but was found out to be lazy as he will not run back towards his on goal, was terrible at defending whenever anyone ran at him on the inside and was truly woeful when going forward.

Fast forward to Jos being here, both Palmer and Hunt were tried in the (now) wingback position. Palmer briefly upped his game and then reverted to type, Hunt started poorly but then took the jersey from Palmer and put in a string of excellent performances in the run in towards the end of the season.

Seems to me that we got Hiunt playing in his best position in a system that suits and he delivered, just like Jos did with FF, João and Nuhiu. Can we do better with the transfer money? Of course we can but we are now weaker because we have just lost our best wingback. If Jos gets to pick his transfer targets then I’d be pretty confident, if he doesn’t then I will be worried.