Jack Hunt from #SWFC to Bristol City

Hunt will do well at Bristol City, playing in a lovely city in front of passionate and postive fanba....Christ I couldn’t even finish that Jesus Bristol City :manager:

I like Hunt and wish him all the best but by George that’s one hell of a downgrade.

11 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Glad you agree with me.

Personally I think Hunt has been our best WB in recent times.  Has been a regular starter down that right flank for the last 3 seasons (2 of years we made the top 6).  Built up an excellent partnership with Wallace.  Has added pace to a team that has lacked speed.  And we’ve missed Hunt when Palmer has had to fill in.

Whereas, in the time that Reach has been at the club he’s played at LM, LB, ACM and LWB.  Good reliable player at Championship.  But his versatility is also his biggest weakness - he’s become something of a utility player.  I really hope that Reach nails down a regular starting position in the first XI next season, rather than ‘filling in’ and puts in some of the performances we saw in the second half of last season.  If Reach can do that, the lad will start to justify that big price tag he came with.

He doesn't have to justify the price he came with, thats just owls talkers stick to beat him/the club with. 

6 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Move on established, well-paid, names. Replace with young up and coming talent on modest wages.

It’s the future. Embrace the future.

Aka a gamble that skint clubs have to take 

2 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

He doesn't have to justify the price he came with, thats just owls talkers stick to beat him/the club with. 

Wasn’t really my point.  I certainly wasn’t beating anyone with a stick.  My post you quoted mentioned some of Reach’s strengths and also how Reach’s value to the team could be improved.

Whether that’s as a LWB, ACM, LM, etc is down to the player and Luhukay.  Will be interesting to see what Reach’s main position is next season.

Intrigued to see who Jos will replace the likes of Hunt, Wallace and Loovens, etc with? As long as we keep the likes of Lees, Bannan and Forestieri in particular, I don't mind trimming the squad and freshening it up if possible. By going for younger players and bringing through our own it will hopefully freshen us up and put behind us the fitness and stagnation issues of last season and the season before.

If we can bring in a couple of quality loanees and frees, then we might be stronger. I don't have big expectations for this season but I'm intrigued to see how we will do in Jos' first full season.

Changes were needed to freshen things up, so let's just see what happens and the lower expectations could work in our favour. If possible I'd like to see a top flight loanee like Sam Byram or someone like the young lad from Chelsea that was on loan at Hull last season Ola Aina or some other young player on loan from the top flight? Plus we've got our own youngsters to bring through too.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

2 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Wasn’t really my point.  I certainly wasn’t beating anyone with a stick.  My post you quoted mentioned some of Reach’s strengths and also how Reach’s value to the team could be improved.

Whether that’s as a LWB, ACM, LM, etc is down to the player and Luhukay.  Will be interesting to see what Reach’s main position is next season.

Thats the thing tho, everbody knows about Reach and what he can/can't do, his value to the team regardless of where he plays......... why then mention his price, its not as if price equals abilities/capabilites. 

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Thats the thing tho, everbody knows about Reach and what he can/can't do, his value to the team regardless of where he plays......... why then mention his price, its not as if price equals abilities/capabilites. 

Transfer fees do raise expectation levels though.

4 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

£1.6m should get us Venancio and a decent loan signing that would allow gradual development of Baker as back up.

But before we consider any new signing, we have in addition to Baker, Lee, Hutchinson, and possibly Boyd. So we do have options. Let's see what happens over the next week or ten days before getting the knives out.

Agreed.

We have plenty of options for both sides, with the possibility of switching to a back four if needed.

We could probably do the same with a few other players, given us the cash to recruit better players in more important position.

1 hour ago, The Captain said:

Glad you agree with me.

No, I totally disagree but you’re free to look at where Reach played last season and make any assumptions you like. I could just restate my point about Reach being needed in midfield and you could ignore it again but I’m not bothered if you change your mind or not really. 

Firstly I like Hunt, he has been a good acquisition for Wednesday and comes across as a thoroughly decent guy. He has time for the fans and seemed to fit in well with the team, you only have to look at the number of players at his recent lads trip to LA. However, we need to be honest, we really need a wing back (rather than a full back that gets forward every once in a while), that has energy to burn, lightening pace, can supply the forwards with good quality crosses and maybe even add a goal or two. Jack hasn't shown the level of consistency (particulary his final ball) that we need to be a quality side and has really struggled to stay injury over the last season. Hopefully Jos has someone in mind that he can bring in very soon, as Palmer isn't a good enough replacement and Baker has the potential, but probably as back up at the moment. I wish Jack all the best, cheers. UTO

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

No, I totally disagree but you’re free to look at where Reach played last season and make any assumptions you like. I could just restate my point about Reach being needed in midfield and you could ignore it again but I’m not bothered if you change your mind or not really. 

Didnt ignore it - I’ve already pointed out that I have doubts that Luhukay will play Reach as a LWB.

See post below.

2 hours ago, The Captain said:

Yet based on how many minutes Luhukay has actually played Reach at LWB for (not many, even once the injury crisis calmed down)

There’s several reasons why I’ve come to that conclusion.  E.g. there were several matches, even during the worst parts of the injury crisis, where established first-team CMs were benched in favour of starting Reach in ACM instead.

18 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Didnt ignore it - I’ve already pointed out that I have doubts that Luhukay will play Reach as a LWB.

See post below.

There’s several reasons why I’ve come to that conclusion.  E.g. there were several matches, even during the worst parts of the injury crisis, where established first-team CMs were benched in favour of starting Reach in ACM instead.

Good, you don’t think he’ll play there, that’s a lot different from ‘we are safe to assume’ which is what I said you are free to do but I disagree.

Thinking about it, the strangest thing for me about all this is why Hunt has accepted the move! Presumably won't be paid more, he's from Yorkshire originally... Assurances of a starting place? Bristol city must have guaranteed it and perhaps Jos refused to.

• Like 1