Jack Hunt from #SWFC to Bristol City

Hunt was basically a runner.

He did a reasonable job for us but if you think about his weaknesses they are quite significant.

He is not a great defender. Not bad out wide but very poor in the box. Always worried me when he had to defend crosses etc.

Going forward he is a great runner but not a good footballer. Too often lost control or gave it away.

I think when he did actually cross it he was good at it.

My biggest gripe is physically he is weak. Not strong enough, got bullied , always picking up knocks.

If I was an opposition winger I wouldn’t mind playing against Jack Hunt every week 

We need a replacement but it ain’t a massive loss.

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Indeed, everyone to their own but you have been wrong for ages then. 

Hunt or any of our fullbacks for that matter were given a hopeless job by CC as they were asked to provide the width (high up the pitch because we were so narrow) and also expected to defend as well. We were asking them to do the job of a wingback. Because of the system we played the fullbacks had no cover when they went forward so left us wide open, they were also often left 1v1 against the opposition winger because of our narrow midfield. The only exception to the above was when Hutch played in midfield and either by design / Hutch being tactically aware / natural game dropped deep to more or less give us a back three so the fullbacks now had some sort of cover and could operate as wingbacks...not fullbacks.

For me the opposition sussed our fullbacks were the key to our success in the first season under CC as they were playing so high and we were flying. They soon realised that by stopping that threat you could nullify us and if they set up with width they would create us problems. 

Pudil played pretty well in that role until his legs went (and until we got sussed) and we have struggled ever since for a decent left back. Hunt gave his all up and down the flank with little help either attacking or defending, but yes he had his limitations and Palmer had a run at it but was found out to be lazy as he will not run back towards his on goal, was terrible at defending whenever anyone ran at him on the inside and was truly woeful when going forward.

Fast forward to Jos being here, both Palmer and Hunt were tried in the (now) wingback position. Palmer briefly upped his game and then reverted to type, Hunt started poorly but then took the jersey from Palmer and put in a string of excellent performances in the run in towards the end of the season.

Seems to me that we got Hiunt playing in his best position in a system that suits and he delivered, just like Jos did with FF, João and Nuhiu. Can we do better with the transfer money? Of course we can but we are now weaker because we have just lost our best wingback. If Jos gets to pick his transfer targets then I’d be pretty confident, if he doesn’t then I will be worried.

Delivered what exactly ? 

A few goals ? 

A few assists 

Immaculate defending ? 

No didn't think so 

I am amazed how many of our fans settle for average , i never said Palmer was the answer but neither has Jos . 

Come back at Christmas and tell me how much we are missing Hunt .

• Like 1

Best we can do here is get some rapid full back on loan from the premier league. Low commitment whilst we have a season of sorting FFP out and inject some pace into the team. Although it would mean folk would need to stop wetting their pants about a replacement whilst we wait for the prem clubs to sort their squads out.

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

Delivered what exactly ? 

A few goals ? 

A few assists 

Immaculate defending ? 

No didn't think so 

I am amazed how many of our fans settle for average , i never said Palmer was the answer but neither has Jos . 

Hunt did all those things bar scoring when Jos had us set up 343 towards the end of the season. If you can’t see that then I give up.

Comeback at Christmas...Like I said we can do better, if Jos is given the money to replace him with. 

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

If people cannot see that getting a decent fee for a bang average player is not good business they will be reaching for the tablets when we sell someone who we really will miss . 

You are letting your opinion of a player get in the way of reality, we all do it but the bottom line is we’ve weakened our team with the sale of our first choice wingback. Now if Jos thinks he can do better with the money, great, that’s how a club should be run. If Jos had no input into the sale of his first choice wingback then we have a problem. If Jos has little input into signings then we have another problem.

I’m far from reaching for the tablets as I’d be open to selling anyone of our players if Jos thinks he can improve the first eleven with the money and gets to pick the replacements.

12 minutes ago, Walt said:

You are letting your opinion of a player get in the way of reality, we all do it but the bottom line is we’ve weakened our team with the sale of our first choice wingback. Now if Jos thinks he can do better with the money, great, that’s how a club should be run. If Jos had no input into the sale of his first choice wingback then we have a problem. If Jos has little input into signings then we have another problem.

I’m far from reaching for the tablets as I’d be open to selling anyone of our players if Jos thinks he can improve the first eleven with the money and gets to pick the replacements.

I am of the opinion that even if we do not directly replace him we have better players for that position 

Hutchinson , Lee , Pelupessey , Boyd .

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

I am of the opinion that even if we do not directly replace him we have better players for that position 

Hutchinson , Lee , Pelupessey , Boyd .

All unknowns.  I am assuming we are again playing with wingbacks:

Hutch: our best centre back imo, but with his injuries, I don’t think he’d last 10 mins in such a physically demanding position as wingback, plus I think the red mist might get the better of him with the wingers. He would be an option but for me he’s different class at centre back.

Lee: Never seen him at wingback and again his injury record would be a major concern in that position. When we played Lee on the right I think we lost something from his game...those late runs into the box and his quick short one / two touch pass and move game.

Pelupessey: Again, wouldn’t have a clue on him playing wingback, has he played there before? Being Dutch I suppose he will have played most positions as a kid. No fitness worries and has got a cracking delivery.

Boyd: Been useless since his arrival and looked terrible at wingback. Seems to be treading water when he runs.

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

Delivered what exactly ? 

A few goals ? 

A few assists 

Immaculate defending ? 

No didn't think so 

How can we mis a defender who couldn't defend. 

On 04/07/2018 at 21:04, sweetsheri said:

Very rarely has an end product

Nesh

Injury prone

Can't cut crosses out

He's quick and he linked up well with Wallace in CC's first season.

£1.6m for an average championship defender in his last year...Great deal for us

Would you have him back?

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Would you have him back?

Also says in this thread that Ash Baker will step up and we can’t go into another season with Palmer as first choice 

3 years on and Palmer is still booting the ball in the kop and Baker didn’t make the grade at Newport 

• Haha 1