4 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I would expect football and football contracts to work differently - players aren't just staff, they are assets with a valuation. At present, Clare is registered to Wednesday, but not under a financial contract to Wednesday. I suspect that is different from you and I in the work place?

Certainly agree with your last point - this needs sorting for his sake ASAP.

Contracts used to work differently in football then along came Bosman and brought into line with others guys on contracts in other walk of life.

11 hours ago, Quist said:

I think if you do not pay someone you have no further hold on them. It would break restraint of trade laws. Disputes used to be common place but you do not get many nowadays as when someone is over 24 they are free to leave with no compensation. A good point is made re his rehabilitation and who is paying for this. I suspect Wednesday are picking up bills at moment. For his sake situation needs resolving quickly

There is an obligation for us to continue his rehab and cater for all expenses generated in the process 

He was injured whilst under contract to us therefore we have to suck it in and pay up unless/until he signs for another club

I believe it's an 18 month obligation

• Like 1

Guest ka58
1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

That would cost us compensation, better to let him decide and cash in if he goes elsewhere 

Fair does.

Strange really as he actively seems to be doing everything but wanting to sign for the only club who have offered him a contract for the upcoming season, which for a young footballer should be their only goal. 

His thought process maybe along the lines of that contract is not going to go anywhere and I should keep my options open as long as possible. That is fine and I understand that before pre season starts however we are now entering the 3rd week of pre season for most clubs in this division and with just over a month to go before the start of it and the close of the transfer window I just can not see what benefit comes from this. I can not work out whether this is just waiting to see if a better opportunity presents itself for him in terms of first team football at a different club, or an over inflated value of his own worth after playing 5 games and scoring 1 goal and he thinks I've made it. 

Personally if I were in DC's shoes it is a tough situation as this is essentially a free transfer for a talented prospect but I would not want to be messed around like this by a kid who is not an established or guaranteed first team player because he wants to see if the grass is greener elsewhere as it sets a precedent to other young players that you can behave like this with our football club.  Would I welcome him back at Hillsborough, on reduced terms with the understanding that if he performs we can renegotiate probably but his actions suggest he see's his future away from S6 and there are plenty of youngsters in our youth set up who are willing to fight for their position and opportunity. 

Did not see enough of him to make an informed judgement on him as a player he linked play well and got himself in and around the box, but his inability to stay with runners and track a player worried me for a central midfielder, in short nothing better than to be expected from a young player. 

Edited by matt_johno43