11 hours ago, scram said:

There is an obligation for us to continue his rehab and cater for all expenses generated in the process 

He was injured whilst under contract to us therefore we have to suck it in and pay up unless/until he signs for another club

I believe it's an 18 month obligation

Sean, we have scoured through 200 doctors looking for a suitable medical team to support you through to full fitness again...Meet Nick

Image result for simpsons doctor nick

• Haha 3

As someone posted earlier, these 1 year contracts are the main issue, no security for the player and hardly a vote of confidence for their ability, need to tie some of the more promising ones tied down for 3 or 4 years , introduce them to the team gradually and bring them through.

21 hours ago, Quist said:

Contracts used to work differently in football then along came Bosman and brought into line with others guys on contracts in other walk of life.

So, how come we can stop Forestieri leaving unless someone pays whatever money we want, yet if he was in my job he could hand his notice in, serve 3 months, and be free to leave?

I sense from a contract POV you're correct, but the difference with football is a players professional registration.

16 hours ago, scram said:

There is an obligation for us to continue his rehab and cater for all expenses generated in the process 

He was injured whilst under contract to us therefore we have to suck it in and pay up unless/until he signs for another club

I believe it's an 18 month obligation

Surely, that's purely rehab costs. We don't have to pay him a salary for a further 18 months if no-one signs him?

When Clares loan at Gillingham ended it was reported that they wamted to sign him and he was happy to stay. They can offer him regular first team football. No brainer really

If he wants to stay I’d certainly try and keep him, there’s a player there without question.

What I want to know more about is his journey to until the Nike Academy. What was it that led to him missing the boat despite his obvious ability? Attitude? focus  on education? Traveling the world? Didn’t get the lucky break?

I would imagine the answer to that question will present us with some clues as to the path his future career will take. 

The Nike Academy is hardly littered with great successes as it’s legacy.

21 hours ago, matt_johno43 said:

Strange really as he actively seems to be doing everything but wanting to sign for the only club who have offered him a contract for the upcoming season, which for a young footballer should be their only goal. 

His thought process maybe along the lines of that contract is not going to go anywhere and I should keep my options open as long as possible.

It does seem strange, I thought that once his current contract expired the choice would be to either agree to what's being offered or else seek a new deal elsewhere

That we'd fulfilled our obligations and any future settlement would be decided by tribunal

Didn't know he'd still be entitled to receive a weekly wage and have his medical expenses covered while he/they wait to see what else happens

His injury has complicated matters, but should the offers come in once he's regained fitness I would hope this additional outlay is added to his valuation

And what if his injury clears up and the offers don't come flooding in, will he remain on weekly terms indefinitely?

Or until we forego compensation and release him anyway?

Which might have been their preferred option from the start, especially if a deal with (say) Gillingham is already lined up

6 hours ago, casbahowl said:

IMHO ................. fcukhimoffnow, the jumped up little nobody!

IMHO you havent a clue as to what the circumstances are surrounding his contract. For all we know he might staying, might not but for one, you haven't a clue have you. 

Well there definitely doesn’t seem to be a big clamour for his signature 

I can see his injury been monitored and him signing a revised new deal here towards end of pre season 

I'd  be cautious about him signing a new deal now. Obviously doesn't want to be here and we aren't that desperate.

We don't owe him a living, expect the club to do what is necessary to maintain our right to compensation and facilitate a move elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

IMHO you havent a clue as to what the circumstances are surrounding his contract. For all we know he might staying, might not but for one, you haven't a clue have you. 

That’ll be me and 100% of Owlstalk 

IMHO ........ In My Humble  Opinion!

You got a problem with that ?

Edited by casbahowl

34 minutes ago, striker said:

I'd  be cautious about him signing a new deal now. Obviously doesn't want to be here and we aren't that desperate.

We don't owe him a living, expect the club to do what is necessary to maintain our right to compensation and facilitate a move elsewhere.

I agree, but it seems like there are too many loopholes now for devious agents with 'foreign' contacts to exploit

My main hope is that these are now coming to light and those in authority are actually doing something to address the situation

• Like 1