wonder if he got same agent as hirst if so get ready for another shafting , these kids think there sumut but they have achieved nothing on the pitch yet , its unreal how someone like brooks at the pig style goes for 11.5 million yet he cant get into there team regularly , theres been plenty of examples in the past of greed in young players and then 2 years done the line they are as good as finished . hayden white is 1 example , all these kids are thinking about is mega bucks ,the academy is becoming almost pointless . 

2 hours ago, CLswfc said:

That.s why there's an argument in closing down the academy. Let us raid some others for a change rather than fork out loads developing players like Hirst and Clare. We really haven't benefitted that much from this academy

We've got a few decent kids coming through. 2 good keepers and some of the young defenders are almost ready to step up.

We only upgraded the academy 2-3 years ago, it's a long term project so I don't think you can expect instant results. If we produce just one first team player per year we will have a result.

I think the clubs policy of giving kids 1 year contracts backfired badly. We now seem to be offering longer contracts so that might improve our prospects of getting a return on our investment. 

• Like 1

He had 1 good game and everyone got an erection over him...he went on loan to a league 1 club and couldn’t get in the side, in the best position!! He played full back for gillingham. He’s not as good as he thinks and he’s not as good as some fans think.

like George Hirst...he’s not worth the club spending thousands each week in wages. He’s a young lad learning and his contract should reflect that!! If he doesn’t like it, tough. 

End of imo. 

30 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

He had 1 good game and everyone got an erection over him...he went on loan to a league 1 club and couldn’t get in the side, in the best position!! He played full back for gillingham. He’s not as good as he thinks and he’s not as good as some fans think.

like George Hirst...he’s not worth the club spending thousands each week in wages. He’s a young lad learning and his contract should reflect that!! If he doesn’t like it, tough. 

End of imo. 

Are you sure about Gillingham? Fans seemed to be gutted when he left to come back here. 

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/sean-clare-sheffield-wednesday-gillingham-157941/

Edited by bradowl

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Are you sure about Gillingham? Fans seemed to be gutted when he left to come back here. 

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/sean-clare-sheffield-wednesday-gillingham-157941/

Re-read my statement!!! It clearly says he couldn’t get in the side in his best position. He played full back/wing back.

classic case of OT member reading what they want to read. 

Clare is still completing rehabilitation from what was a bad ankle injury. He will be on week to week terms from next week.

I am led to believe he is with same agent as Hirst. The rules have recently been changed with Agency fees. When a player signs a new contract the Agency fee gets spread over duration of contract. Previously it was all paid at start of contract. In Europe the fee is still paid all at start of contract. This change means it is not as profitable for an agent to keep moving players from club to club. Hirst and Max Clark the Hull left back both had same agent and both moved abroad. The Hull manager indicated the players agent wanted him to go abroad. Therefore if Clare is with same Agent would not be a surprise to see him heading to Europe. Think this is to Agents benefit and not to development of player.

Clare was obviously targeted by Villa who were and still are paying ridiculous wages. However this all went pear shaped and the offer we have made him his probably best he has currently got but it takes a man to go and accept a deal he turned his nose up  at and tell Agent he is staying put.

• Thanks 1

Interesting re agency fees. Didn't know that. To be honest I get the impression that the whole thing is a totally unregulated Wild West.

Re Clare, we've got two v promising young CMs in Hunt and Waldock who are Owls and want to make it with us. I wouldn't like to see this kid, who seems to have no attachment to the club whatsoever, hold up their development. 

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Clare would have gone to Gillingham in January had we decided not to keep him. Having been given his big chance by Jos, and having performed patchily in a handful of matches, he's now decided we're not good enough for him. No loyalty, no loss IMO. 

I think it may be more the offer wasn't good enough for him  rather than the club not being …….. .it's unlikely he'll ever be top player who will earn millions in his career so you cant really blame him for holding out  for the best deal . ……..does any player show loyalty to the club? , I doubt there one of them if they got a better offer elsewhere who wouldn't want to go . 

13 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Bye Clare don’t let the door hit your huge unwarranted ego on the way out. Laughable, you never see this sort of thing at any other club. Pay your dues before you start with the bily big bollarks stuff 

makes you think other clubs give the young players they want to keep contracts that make them want to stay ……...it's an impossible situation the club think hirst & clare are worth x amount and the players think they are worth more …...the club don't seem to want to offer more so it's perfectly reasonable that they'll look around . footballs a transient business and probably none of our players will be here in 5 years time .some will move on for better money some will be released as not good enough to keep so why wouldn't anyone try and get the best deal they can when there contracts come to an end . 

1 hour ago, Quist said:

Clare is still completing rehabilitation from what was a bad ankle injury. He will be on week to week terms from next week.

I am led to believe he is with same agent as Hirst. The rules have recently been changed with Agency fees. When a player signs a new contract the Agency fee gets spread over duration of contract. Previously it was all paid at start of contract. In Europe the fee is still paid all at start of contract. This change means it is not as profitable for an agent to keep moving players from club to club. Hirst and Max Clark the Hull left back both had same agent and both moved abroad. The Hull manager indicated the players agent wanted him to go abroad. Therefore if Clare is with same Agent would not be a surprise to see him heading to Europe. Think this is to Agents benefit and not to development of player.

Clare was obviously targeted by Villa who were and still are paying ridiculous wages. However this all went pear shaped and the offer we have made him his probably best he has currently got but it takes a man to go and accept a deal he turned his nose up  at and tell Agent he is staying put.

Interesting stuff, but why would we (as I presume you mean us) pay him week to week whilst he rehabilitates/decides who he wants to F off too? 

Meh. 

The kid seems to have a bit of talent, but we have better players in our squad (albeit Clare has the potential to get better). 

He seemingly doesn't want to stay (much like Hirst Jnr), so it's really not worth worrying about. 

If he can get a move elsewhere for better money then fair play to the kid. We move on (well most of us will). 

Edited by SiJ

I think the club would have to decide whether to burn bridges and terminate or do the week by week stuff and see where it ends up.

TBF paying a month or two wages is probably best in the scheme of things if there is seen to be a chance of resolving matters with a talented player.

It wouldn't suprise me if our porcine neighbours were interested in him.   He is a ready made signing for them:  Cheap, has potential to be moulded and would have instant resale value half a season down the line if it doesn't work out.

Equally, Clare clearly has no loyalty to us, which I don't have a problem with as he's not a fan and we've not really seen him on the pitch much in S6.

Edited by HubristicClapper
  • Like 2