Offload dilemma

8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think that Fletcher can compete with Nuhiu for that central birth.  With Joao in the mix and with it being quite clear that Jos sees Matias as a striker. I don't think goals are going to be the probem they have previously. 

Genuinly think that centre half will remain priority. I know that money is going to be tight but I expect we'll be making sure Venancio is the main target before we start looking at the top end of the pitch.

Really don’t see Fletcher being able to replicate the Nuhiu role, he lacks the movement It isn’t a massive priority, but if we can offload Fletcher, Rhodes and Winnall, then we’d need one more I feel 

A loan would do it, a quick young striker from one of the Premier League clubs

Best hope of getting rid of some of the deadwood players (Abdi,Rhodes,Fletcher,Palmer,Fox) is to try and loan them out and even if we have to cover a portion of their wage, then so be it. None of them will leave for less wages, that is for sure.

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Really don’t see Fletcher being able to replicate the Nuhiu role, he lacks the movement It isn’t a massive priority, but if we can offload Fletcher, Rhodes and Winnall, then we’d need one more I feel 

A loan would do it, a quick young striker from one of the Premier League clubs

I'd agree that no one can do what Nuihu does.

But in terms of having a player who can come in and play that central role and perform the main criteria required - Hold the ball up, win headers, be a focal point, I have no doubt that Fletcher can do that. Not in the same way as the Big-man, but he's capable of leading the line. In fact I'd go as far as saying he was vital in playing that hold up role last season , especially when we were away from home.

I think it's Rhodes and Winnall who are mor likely to fall by the wayside. Rhodes is very much at his best as part of a partnership and Winnall, though able to play down the middle on his jacks will be well down the pecking order and as was proved several times last season isn't a wide forward by any stretch of the imagination.

That said. The problem remains moving people on.  Winnall (When fit I think we can make out money back on) Rhodes is a different kettle of fish. I still think he'd offer something to many teams in the division. But I don't think many teams would be able to match what we're paying him. That'll always be the stumbling block.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe there’s a slim chance that we might be able to sell Rhodes to Stoke now They’re managed by Lambert, and of course they have those parachute payments They might be thinking his goals might fire them straight back up

You know, that isn't necessarily a bad shout as far as fanciful wishes go. Butland and Shaqiri fire sales will give them excess dough. Not saying we'd necessarily get what we paid for him, but large finances and a bit of sentiment from an ex-manager could go a long way. 

5 hours ago, A12owl said:

Fletcher

Nuhiu

Rhodes

Jôao

Hooper

Forestieri

Winnal (still belongs to us)

That's 7 strikers. We cannot afford them all. 

A maximum of 4 is probably all we need and can afford assuming Jos plays 3 up front. There is probably an U23 who could play in injury emergencies . It's unlikely that Jos can keep 7 strikers happy with playing time. 

For me it would be 

Nuhiu

Jôao

Hooper

Forestieri

I would hope that Jos could get Rhodes back to his old form but if it came to having to reduce wages then I would regrettably get rid of Rhodes . Possibly on a loan so that in a years time he could come back or be sold dependant on how he has performed  . 

It all depends on what formation Jos has in mind and how many we can realistically afford to keep without jeapordising strengthening elsewhere.

Interesting times ahead .

I am still wondering how the management could acquire 7 strikers even if FF and Hooper are better slightly behind front striker. Amazingly profligate management.

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't want us to get rid of Fletcher.

When he's been fit, he's been very good for us. He's an intelligent forward who holds the ball up well, unsettles defenders with his physicality, and has a decent strike rate for a striker of his type of a goal every 243 minutes. He was vital to our good run-in last season, and if it weren't for him going off injured against Huddersfield, we could well be in the Premier League right now.

The problem is that he's been injured for so much of his time here that we've barely had him fully fit and firing on all cylinders for more than a handful of matches at a time. This, coupled with his reportedly high wages, means that we're questioning his value to our team.

Having seen the improvement that Luhukay has been able to coax out of Nuhiu and João, I certainly wouldn't want to move Fletcher on just as he's finally returning to fitness, though.

interesting post, here's a question for you and others to answer, IF we could only keep ONE, nuhiu or fletcher, who would you keep?

7 hours ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

I really can see Rhodes coming good for us next season. If Jos works on him, and we keep to the front three line up. But then who do you drop? I am very excited for next season and the options Jos will have.

I was working with my old apprentice yesterday .

Not seen him for a while (all grown up n tattooed)

He's a full on home n away Blackburn Rovers fan with his dad .

I threw him the "would you have him back shot? "

"In a flash yes he said,  one of the best players Rovers have had" ..

But how would you play him I said ?

"Supply him quality balls from Danny Graham even though hes getting old he's still got it 100 % and Rhodes would love playing with Bradley Dack" 

He then said "your lot haven't got a bloody clue how to play him properly "

He then spilt his brew over my brand new Megger tester the clumsy Fuc......r

Taught him well I did ...WTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I was working with my old apprentice yesterday .

Not seen him for a while (all grown up n tattooed)

He's a full on home n away Blackburn Rovers fan with his dad .

I threw him the "would you have him back shot? "

"In a flash yes he said,  one of the best players Rovers have had" ..

But how would you play him I said ?

"Supply him quality balls from Danny Graham even though hes getting old he's still got it 100 % and Rhodes would love playing with Bradley Dack" 

He then said "your lot haven't got a bloody clue how to play him properly "

He then spilt his brew over my brand new Megger tester the clumsy Fuc......r

Taught him well I did ...WTF:

Ok master Yoda calm down :tango:

star-wars-yoda-sixth-scale-hot-toys-silo-902738.png

• Haha 1

Interesting to note the comments about not being able to afford and carry 7 strikers. Well it is a good job we did have 7 because otherwise we would have had nobody upfront !!

Ponit taken though, and for me, and many people will disagree, I would look to offload Hooper. Yes when fit he gives us a lot, but those instances are becoming fewer and fewer as the seasons progress.

He will no doubt attract buyers and we could get some good coin in for him. Of course, all is dependant on who Jos sees as his first choice strikers in a fully fit team.

3 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

If you were a manager on a limited budget for wages ,Would you sign Fox ,Jones or Abdi ?

Isn’t there a management training exercise about getting Fox, Abdi and Danny McGrain to an island on a rowing boat only big enough for two?

We need a serious reshuffle /rethink and I'm hoping Jos unlike Carlos knows how to put a balanced squad together. 

For me we had one of the brightest un18s starlet strikers and clueless added to hooper and nuhiu. 

Joao 

Rhodes

Fletcher 

Winnal

Fernando as his strikers 7 SEVEN?? how many clubs in any division sign 7 first team strikers, especially when you refuse to play anything other than 4-4-2 , matias and Abdi who he'd no idea how to get them into his rigidly preferred formation or what to actually do with either of them when fit. While having no cover for Wallace on the right, hutch or at centre back compared our recruitment whomever you blame has been haphazard and with no planning or thoughts over the last 2 seasons. 

In short most teams have around 4/5 strikers so for me we need to try shuffle 2 or 3 out realistically also allowing kids to come through the development squad. 

I still think that Jos would like to bring in a striker of his own (if he can maybe ship Rhodes, Winnall and Fletcher out). Sometimes it's hard to mould a striker into what you want and basically he's using what he was left with by the previous 2 managers.

12 hours ago, jfr142 said:

So how.do we get rid of fletcher. Abdi. Fox. Jones. 

I'd let them all go in frees if anyone would have them.

I feel we are stuck with Abdi until his big fat contract runs out. 

4 hours ago, dnhc said:

interesting post, here's a question for you and others to answer, IF we could only keep ONE, nuhiu or fletcher, who would you keep?

Good question.

I'm a fan of both, but if you'd asked me that before Nuhiu's purple patch, I'd have said Fletcher - I think he's a better all-round striker and more of a consistent goal threat - but Nuhiu has shown the kind of goalscoring form that he'd not even hinted at previously, and is playing brilliantly under Luhukay. Couple that with the fact that Fletcher has now got to regain his fitness after a lengthy injury layoff, and the scales would seem to tip in Nuhiu's favour...

...until you consider that Luhukay has managed to transform Nuhiu from a striker who averaged a goal every 647 minutes of Championship football under Carvalhal into one who is averaging a goal every 120 minutes under him. If Luhukay can have a similar impact on Fletcher, who averaged a Championship goal every 261 minutes under Carvalhal, then the results could be revelatory.

So, to conclude: I want to keep both!

Gun to my head, I'd keep...Nuhiu - simply for the fact that he's doing it in the here and now and is already proven to work well within Luhukay's system. Fletcher has shown he has the potential to be a better striker, but we don't know for certain how he might perform under Luhukay, whereas Nuhiu represents less of a gamble right now.