Offload dilemma

I don't want us to get rid of Fletcher.

When he's been fit, he's been very good for us. He's an intelligent forward who holds the ball up well, unsettles defenders with his physicality, and has a decent strike rate for a striker of his type of a goal every 243 minutes. He was vital to our good run-in last season, and if it weren't for him going off injured against Huddersfield, we could well be in the Premier League right now.

The problem is that he's been injured for so much of his time here that we've barely had him fully fit and firing on all cylinders for more than a handful of matches at a time. This, coupled with his reportedly high wages, means that we're questioning his value to our team.

Having seen the improvement that Luhukay has been able to coax out of Nuhiu and João, I certainly wouldn't want to move Fletcher on just as he's finally returning to fitness, though.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jfr142 said:

So how.do we get rid of fletcher. Abdi. Fox. Jones. 

I'd let them all go in frees if anyone would have them.

I’d add Palmer and Rhodes to the list.

Reslistically, I think we will struggle to shift many of them on.

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

When he's been fit, he's been very good for us. He's an intelligent forward who holds the ball up well, unsettles defenders with his physicality, and has a decent strike rate for a striker of his type of a goal every 243 minutes. He was vital to our good run-in last season, and if it weren't for him going off injured against Huddersfield, we could well be in the Premier League right now.

The problem is that he's been injured for so much of his time here that we've barely had him fully fit and firing on all cylinders for more than a handful of matches at a time. This, coupled with his reportedly high wages, means that we're questioning his value to our team.

Having seen the improvement that Luhukay has been able to coax out of Nuhiu and João, I certainly wouldn't want to move Fletcher on just as he's finally returning to fitness, though.

I feel the same way about him as a player, but in terms of the squad I guess the issue is who we drop in order to give him even semi-regular game time? Seems more likely to unsettle any potential balance than add to it.

Mind you, between him and Hooper it probably adds up to one player’s typical availability/fitness over the course of a season, so I guess that’s...good? Kinda? One player pulling a total wage of about £55k, that is...

:carlosswfc:

4 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I feel the same way about him as a player, but in terms of the squad I guess the issue is who we drop in order to give him even semi-regular game time? Seems more likely to unsettle any potential balance than add to it.

Mind you, between him and Hooper it probably adds up to one player’s typical availability/fitness over the course of a season, so I guess that’s...good? Kinda? One player pulling a total wage of about £55k, that is...

:carlosswfc:

I'd see Fletcher and Nuhiu as our 'target man' options. Nobody else in our squad really offers similar aerial threat, hold-up play and physical presence.

If Nuhiu turns down his contract offer and signs elsewhere, then it's all the more crucial that we keep Fletcher.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jfr142 said:

What would be the point of that? We'd have to pay them off. 

Edited by OxonOwl

17 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Fletch and Hoops were forming a good partnership before he got injured. I wouldn't be in a rush to get offload either, if we can keep them fit, unless we could get a reasonable fee.

Lets just remind ourselves how good they were together....18 goals in 17 matches.

That said, Nuhiu-Joao in tandem have scored 17 goals in 16 matches.

Fascinating and exciting to see what Jos does next. He has already got the best out of Nuhiu, Joao and Forestieri. If he can get the best out of Hooper and Fletcher too there could be no stopping our attack. He has yet to get the best from Rhodes but I don’t give up hope. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Exactly he's a crock. And we need to free up space up front. If nuhiu stays and who knows maybe even hirst.

41 minutes ago, Think tank said:

I’d add Palmer and Rhodes to the list.

Reslistically, I think we will struggle to shift many of them on.

Palmer yes for sure. Rhodes I still think will come good

25 minutes ago, jfr142 said:

Exactly he's a crock. And we need to free up space up front. If nuhiu stays and who knows maybe even hirst.

Granted, this season has been bad for him on the injury front, but he's still managed 61 appearances for us in two seasons.

Given that he's been more effective than Nuhiu until the latter's recent astonishing form, and the fact that he'll have had plenty of time plus a full pre-season to recover from his injury, I'd like to see what Luhukay can get out of him before we take the drastic step of trying to move him on.

1 hour ago, jfr142 said:

You can add Rhodes to this list. Best we can hope for is to cut losses by sending out on loan and subsidising wages. We have players who were assembled with no plan as to how we would play them or no idea as to how they needed to be played to show the best. We have too many strikers and some need to be moved on to make room for players where we have fewer options. It is another mess Jos has to resolve he has done wellwith getting the best out of players he now has another challenge. I hope Katriene can earn money by helping him move players on.

Seriously think Abdi could be retired on medical grounds as he goes down injured whenever wind blows so that is an option.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Theproblem is that he's been injured for so much of his time here that we've barely had him fully fit and firing on all cylinders for more than a handful of matches at a time. This, coupled with his reportedly high wages, means that we're questioning his value to our team.

Fletch also formed a good understanding with Hooper.

Unfortunately they were rarely both fit at the same time.

Fact is there are 8 strikers on the books if you include Winnall,

This is a ridiculous waste of resources as our favoured strike partnership was probably the least expensive to bring to the club.

A way just has to be found to address this, expensive as it probably will be in the short term.

2 hours ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

I really can see Rhodes coming good for us next season. If Jos works on him, and we keep to the front three line up. But then who do you drop? I am very excited for next season and the options Jos will have.

He's on his way to Forest (you heard it here first)