How Long Should We Give A Manager To Get It Right?

Just now, Watson said:

A year is hardly a fair crack of the whip

It is in today's football which is ludicrous. Isn't the average tenure of a manager these days something like 12-18 months? I personally would trust my instinct that I got the right man in and give him 3 years minimum. That way it gives him the chance to get contracted players off the books and fully put his stamp on the team.

• Like 1

CC got two and half seasons but expectation were fairly low season 1 which helped.

JL deserves the chance to clear the dead woood and bring his own players in.

CC has backed his chosen managers so far, so JL has a decent chance of getting a good run. 

20 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

At least two 'backed' transfer windows. I wouldn't say he was fully backed in January due to only bringing in Joey Pelupessy so he's got at least nearly all next season if you're going to give him a fair crack of the whip.

I really think he's restricted in the transfer window dept J Smuggler..

The Well is ......well it's truly dried up me thinks ..

Time to trust in what we have n what we can scrounge ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I really think he's restricted in the transfer window dept J Smuggler..

The Well is ......well it's truly dried up me thinks ..

Time to trust in what we have n what we can scrounge ....

Could be a bit of a blessing that we’re having to live in the real world. Some of those signings in Carlos’ last year were very damaging. Also as the last few games have shown, we’ve still got the nucleus of a decent side. Just needs some of the youngsters to kick on and a little bit of canny trading in the transfer market. 

7 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Could be a bit of a blessing that we’re having to live in the real world. Some of those signings in Carlos’ last year were very damaging. Also as the last few games have shown, we’ve still got the nucleus of a decent side. Just needs some of the youngsters to kick on and a little bit of canny trading in the transfer market. 

Totally agree EYO ......

If Jos carries on like he finished this season, as long as he wants. We need to be patient though, developing young players is not going to bring overnight success, we will be inconsistent at times but as long as our direction of travel in positive have cause to be optimistic.

took jack Charlton 2 years to put together a winning team but he was starting from scratch .....wilko did it instantly on the back of what Charlton left him ......suppose it depends on how jos views what carlos left him . if he thinks this lot is good enough to contend then he needs to hit the ground running next season but if he thinks he needs a major overall to get his own players in then  probably 2 years while he shifts out the deadwood .

Edited by torryowl

Think next season we will be at least top 6.

All the other teams don't think we are any good anymore not realising that it's the injuries why we were not up there.

We will have our first season shock factor back.

• Like 1

We need to see progress, that has got to happen in first team and throughout the club. Regression cannot happen for any sustained period of time IMO. For me progress would see us continuing our current form at Hillsborough (it's joyful to watch again!), being consistently in the top 12 or higher (i.e win more than we lose) of the Championship and slowly building up the squad over the next 2 years, while getting some of the high earners off the books, (Will take 2 more years for some). Progression would be working out why we've had such a terrible injury recording and starting to remedy that. Progression would be to bring younger players through (Jos seems to be a champion at this). 

For next season at least Jos will be working with some players who he possibly won't want, which will give him less room for manoeuvre in the transfer market. For that reason I'd give him until Christmas 2019.

Having said that, he's improved us already so, as I said before, owt can happen.

Quietly confident.

Jos will have his hand tied by FFP unless we sell one of our stars. It's next summer before we can get rid of some of the dead wood. I think we can start to judge him properly in the 2019- 20 season.

Having said that I hope he can keep us in mid table next year, if we are top half he will have done well, challenging for top 6 (even if we don't quite make it) would be a very good performance.

Patience will be needed and I think most fans will understand that after the season we have just had.

15 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

It takes 3 seasons to put together a brand new squad of players and turn them into a good team.

I think it is more important to continue building the CLUB over the 1st team, at the moment.

i very much doubt we'll be having a brand new squad, we will be more likely having 80+% of our present squad, with additions.

IF we can keep our best players, get them all fit, avoid another disterous injury riddled season, i can't see why we can't have a decent start, if so, then press on from there, and see what it brings, he's far from building from scratch.

we don't know IF a big name is being released or not, we don't know what he'll bring in, but whether or not we sell one of our better players he'll still have a decent squad to build upon, one that's not been tried with good management before.

How long should we give him ? I'd say 18 months is fair to make an impact.

How long will we give him? Probably until January 19 where upon if we are not doing well then people will start foaming at the mouth and the usual chaos will ensue.....

7 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Regardless of how long we want to give him, if he isn't in the top 10 at Christmas he'll be gone.

This is it really.

The question is not "how long" but "what is acceptable?"

No matter how much we concede that Jos is starting from a poor position and needs three transfer windows to make significant personnel changes, he will be sacked if he doesn't deliver acceptable results.

Outside top ten at Christmas? I think he'll be allowed to continue.

Bottom three at Christmas? Sacked.

End of the season? I think anything bottom half could see him sacked. But other factors might save him.

Im reading in other threads about top six next season. Expectations are already creeping up. I'm hopeful of top six, but expecting lower. I'm also hopeful that Chansiri has more patience than many of our fans. But 2 or 3 years, without significant progress, I don't think so.

6 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

No manager will last long here with our fans, Jos will get another few months to a year at it then the vicious cycle starts all over again. 

I'm quite aware someone just quoted you saying "exactly"

However I disagree.

I believe Chansiri is belligerent enough to disregard what the fans want, should he disagree enough.

And, to be honest - why shouldn't he be. 

"One voice" is how a business should be run.