How Long Should We Give A Manager To Get It Right?

I'm asking the question because I'd like to think that we will give Jos a decent crack of the whip to get this right, especially as he has shown a real willingness (even if through necessity) to give the youngsters a chance. I believe that long term the Academy has a vital role to play in the sustainability of the club and it is good to see a Manager who is prepared to take that on board.

Personally I would settle for building up to a real promotion challenge over the next 3 seasons if it meant that each season saw two or three of our youngsters make the step up from the Academy.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, britpunk77 said:

18 months minimum

Different times, but it took Ferguson 4 seasons to win any trophy at Manure (FA Cup 1990 was his first) and Howard Kendall 3 seasons at Everton (again FA Cup was the first).

On the basis of just 18 months, what chance has any manager or coach got?

• Like 1

Unless he's an absolute catastrophe, he needs at least until next summer to get rid of the high earners and injury prone players.

So judge him in summer 2020. Hope for promotion, expect progression and minimum challenging at the top.

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Different times, but it took Ferguson 4 seasons to win any trophy at Manure (FA Cup 1990 was his first) and Howard Kendall 3 seasons at Everton (again FA Cup was the first).

The managers have no chance nowadays totally unrealistic targets set by the fans which the manager has no chance of realising.   If we don't reach the playoffs the fans who demand that their hard earned cash gives them the right to demand a new manager.  If we are outside the top ten by Christmas OT will be in meltdown.

1 minute ago, Watson said:

The managers have no chance nowadays totally unrealistic targets set by the fans which the manager has no chance of realising.   If we don't reach the playoffs the fans who demand that their hard earned cash gives them the right to demand a new manager.  If we are outside the top ten by Christmas OT will be in meltdown.

Largely agree but I'm trying to see if people would give more time to a manager who deliberately tries to develop the youth players rather than ignoring them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Largely agree but I'm trying to see if people would give more time to a manager who deliberately tries to develop the youth players rather than ignoring them.

Fully agree with you and believe that a Championship manager needs three seasons at least to get every aspect of the club running his way.  

The club has much going for it a quality squad, a promising set of youngsters and a Chairman who will back the club.

But fans are demanding 

15 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Thats why I said minimum, I am of the same thought path as yourself “Rome wasn’t built in a Day”. Sacking managers within months means there is more wrong at a club than just the manager.

Objectively, Where would Palace be if they hadn’t sacked Frank de Boer after his extremely short tenure.

So I think every individual managerial appointment and the assessment of their progress or failure is dependent solely on the Chairman/Board of the club in question. I believe at our club any manager would get a fair crack of the whip with Chansiri at the helm.

He's in a unique situation which helps him out somewhat.

He has a full pre-season AND been allowed the chance to essentially trial a lot of players and get a good look and feel for them.

For this reason, i'd say he has until Christmas, which would be unfair usually.    

I have an inkling he'll make it far past Christmas mind.

Edited by HubristicClapper
  • Like 2

CC got us in the playoffs two seasons on the trot and the smart Alec's on here say he should have gone after the Huddersfield play off games.  And he spent very little in the first season.

So if losing on penalties in the playoffs is failure, Jos has, sadly, got no chance. 

If we aren’t challenging top six by Christmas he will be vulnerable.

Some Derby fans were calling for Rowetts head ten days ago - a bloke who has overachieved  by comparison to Boro Villa and Fulham.

We are over anxious now we have got a bit of money. Jos is hardly expansive in the Big Ron mould so it won’t be as if the footy will be as pretty as some would like.

As the winter nights get dark, so surely will the sun rise over Greno woods and calls for the return of the Ginger Messiah will ring out like the solstice bells!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Depends on the tools he has available

Jos inherited a crisis

He's well in credit

21 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

The club gave Carlos 2 and a half years and backed him with the biggest transfer budget we've ever had

I think Jos will be working on a comparative shoestring

He should get at least 2 and a half years

Along with Utah's initial post absolutely spot on ...

He's performed a bloody miracle at S6 

OK he's had his arm rammed right up his back regarding availability. .

But more importantly he's got Carlos cast offs playing like champions ....

Reminds me of the Charlie Sheen /Wesley Snipes film " Major League" ..

Team of useless no hopers turned into winners ...

Give the bloke a break..  he's got us into a really good place ..

Onwards and upwards ...... 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

CC got us in the playoffs two seasons on the trot and the smart Alec's on here say he should have gone after the Huddersfield play off games.  And he spent very little in the first season.

So if losing on penalties in the playoffs is failure, Jos has, sadly, got no chance. 

And bloody wasted a lot of cash after that first season.

At least two 'backed' transfer windows. I wouldn't say he was fully backed in January due to only bringing in Joey Pelupessy so he's got at least nearly all next season if you're going to give him a fair crack of the whip.

5 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

At least two 'backed' transfer windows. I wouldn't say he was fully backed in January due to only bringing in Joey Pelupessy so he's got at least nearly all next season if you're going to give him a fair crack of the whip.

A year is hardly a fair crack of the whip

• Like 1