How Long Should We Give A Manager To Get It Right?

I would say as long as you are seeing progression.He has made substantial progress so far and addressed many issues.I would not judge progress on purely results alone, this includes restructuring of squad and getting all club pulling in same direction.

The size of the mess he inherited I do not think has been entirely appreciated by all of the fans. It was not just a side lacking pace but energy and defensive ability was also in short supply. There was lots of disharmony off the pitch, you did not see many players step forward and defend the former manager which is a good sign things were not right. In addition he was not knowledgeable on league or the players in it and had to learn fast. to accomplish what we did is nothing short of remarkable. Only Reach Lees Bannan Hunt and Forestieri were regulars under previous manager that were used as first choice by Jos and these were not available for much of his period in charge. A system was found which utilised player skills which were available and players used in areas where skills were at a premium. He also had to contend with a squad which lacked basic conditioning and this had to be done in busy part of season. 

It is clear now there was a disconnect between younger players and first team. Progress has been made to remedy the situation, but we still have lots of aging players on the books and an unbalanced squad both in terms of position and skill sets. If we start to address these and are in safe position in league it will do for me as we need to lay a foundation on which to target assault on advancement to Premier league.

I think it could be summer of 2019 before we can clear lots of dead wood and therefore I would retain him at least until this time and give him a realistic chance of building a team.

If he receives little in terms of financial backing it make take 3 seasons before we are able to have a side to challenge at the top.

Depends how we start the season I think. It breaks down into periods usually. Give him a summer. First 10 games. Then up to Christmas. Give him a January. That sort of thing.

From what I've read about him, he likes discipline. This means everyone turns up on time & learns what he wants them to do. It's a good start. He seems to have some tactical nous. Give him some more first team players back from injury, I think he'll do well.

The league table will dictate how long he keeps his job.

DC wants promotion & knows a lot more now than when he turned up as to how it all works. Wouldn't bet against Jos bringing in some players from Germany either. Unknown quantities to this division which could surprise a few. Looking forward to it.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think people might have to accept that might be a more gradual climb than previously envisaged

I think that is always good advice when the subject is football.

Every fan says at some point get the young un in yet should a manager do that and then lose the next 3 or 4 games we get calls for his head 

Van Aken is a case in point new to the country and league he's chucked into a very difficult situation with our injuries yet does well initially has a wobble and there are people on here who have already written him of as rubbish 

Players and managers need time but these days fans will not allow time so building a team is a thing of the past 

It sorta depends on what you mean by "giving them a chance". Personally I think if we finish outside the top 8 next season we should think about dropping Jos. But at the same time, if we finished say 9th after showing really good progression, good attacking football and a heck of a lot of promise, you'd want to persevere and continue the upwards trajectory. It's as much about performances and progression as it is about results. 

Personally I can see Jos doing what Hughton did at Brighton. He took a poor team over halfway through a season and kept them up, then turned them into a b*tch of a team to play against being, solid defensively and methodically effective in their attacking. They get so close but so far, but pre-season add the extra oomph they need... the rest is history. Still the best team I've ever seen at Hillsborough in my short time watching us. Jos seems to have similar philosophies to Hughton and has inherited a good, if slightly lopsided, squad. I won't expect a play-off season next year, and I don't think it should be some sort of pre-planned remit for him to achieve it... but I'll be honest, if this summer goes OK, I'd be surprised if we didn't finish in the top 7 or so. 

Can't really put a blanket time frame on it, it really is a case by case basis.

It took 18 months us to start realising Carlos had gone as far as he could at the club, as where those signs might not appear for 2, 3, or 4 years under Jos. The Man City owners have talked openly about a managerial turnabout window (can't remember how many years, 3-5 years comes to mind) - be interesting to see if they maintain that with Pep in charge these days.

Can't really put a time frame on it. But the most important thing is that he shows progression. If by Christmas we're languishing around the bottom 6 then he could well be a dead duck. But if we finish 10th but push for playoffs in a mould similar to Bristol City this season then that's certainly progress and should gain 19-20 off that. We can't expect him to take us right back to the playoffs if not above next year, but that's definitely a possibility depending on fitness and recruitment.