Young George Hirst

5 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Hmmmm pretty conclusive if it’s from a friends brother who plays for one of the development squads whilst presumably still at school ?

He must be at the cutting edge of the negotiations!

The development squad is the under 23 so the only school he is at is the under 23's Owls team. But never mind there will always be people as yourself.

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

How much of this is actually the lad?

I mean, the chairmans involved, his dad is involved, his agent is involved, the ceo is involved.

I wonder what the kid actually wants and what say he's had.

Exactly this. It would be interesting to put that to him e.g. forget what the club want you to do, forget what Doyen want you to do and even forget what your dad wants you to do. You’re a 19 year old lad and old enough to make your own decisions. What do you want to do? 

If the answer is move to a premier league club on more dollar then fair enough. 

I don't know the first thing about the truth of the matter but I reckon he is a top top prospect who will go on to be a success.

However, playing with similar aged kids for England on massive contracts at prem Clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd etc. has probably led him to think he deserves a similar package to them. We aren't in a position to do this despite offering to make him our highest paid youth player so we have an impasse which will probably lead him to move when he is available to do so regardless of sentiment.

What I fail to understand is the Club not allowing him to play? Sounds like cutting your nose off to spite your face if you ask me which has caused even more damage to the relationship. Shame really as it will negatively affect his value to us and who knows, he could have proved himself worthy of a first team opportunity and an improved offer?

Time to move on and concentrate on developing our other young prospects.

12 hours ago, The Captain said:

The chairman does deserve some credit for engaging with fans in recent times and requesting for feedback.  But ultimately the club have the final say.  And the club’s actions speak louder than words.

Getting back to the topic, with the benefit of hindsight, the club would have been better off selling Hirst for £2 million quid when the offer was there last summer.

We won’t get that figure now, if the player left in the summer. And we could have requested a sell-on fee if Hirst was transferred.  Won’t get that option if the player’s contract expires.

Its very rare that we have sold any player under DC.  So I personally don’t think many fans would have objected, or accused the club of being short-sighted, if the Hirst had been sold when Leicester’s offer was there.  It’s unfair to suggest that the fans were part of the reason that Hirst was retained.

What an odd question.

You will, in fact it will make up a big part of the tribunals decision.

As you say, the upfront value will have dropped but any move will be loaded with appearance add ons and sell on clauses.

What if there’s an agreement with a far bigger club than Leicester and they don’t want to advertise it? I’m not particularly interested in the ‘George isn’t that good’ brigade, they are probably the same ones who said that Reach was a waste of money, Joao was crap and wanted Dawson shipping out, all clubs have them, I well recall the ‘send Ferguson back to Aberdeen’ Man Utd football aficionados, when he’d hardly had time to take his coat off.

What I will say is, if there was something sinister going on, it would have been leaked by now, keeping secrets at a football club is difficult, however it is far easier to keep private matters in the Hirst home, we will find out when whatever happens has happened.

9 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

I know swfc have said it's the highest paid contract offer ever offered to a youth player but do we actually know what it is? Just because it is the highest dosent mean it is a good offer does it? 

I’ve worked in Investment banking for twenty years , earn a very decent salary and I can guarantee his offer will be far in excess of mine.

For a 19 year old with no real experience in his field it will be a very good offer.

When I first started working an England International I knew earned 8 times my weekly wage approx at £4K per week , that differential is now approx 50-100 times my weekly wage depending on the player.

Wages in football are total madness and when clubs get in financial distress the players and other clubs get paid out but it’s the little businesses who end up out of pocket.

17 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

I’ve worked in Investment banking for twenty years , earn a very decent salary and I can guarantee his offer will be far in excess of mine.

For a 19 year old with no real experience in his field it will be a very good offer.

When I first started working an England International I knew earned 8 times my weekly wage approx at £4K per week , that differential is now approx 50-100 times my weekly wage depending on the player.

Wages in football are total madness and when clubs get in financial distress the players and other clubs get paid out but it’s the little businesses who end up out of pocket.

I agree football is total madness and I'm not for one minute trying to defend GH. But from his point of view if he knows another 3/4/5 players of his same age at other clubs who are earning far more than what he was offered then its only natural to be a little peeved don't you think? Players obviously have different abilities so better players can demand more money but again from his prospective he smashes it for England so probably thinks he is up there with the best and his offer should reflect this! Its also not his fault that Carlos completely overlooked him.

10 hours ago, room0035 said:

The development squad is the under 23 so the only school he is at is the under 23's Owls team. But never mind there will always be people as yourself.

That’s not what you said though is it ........

”plays for one of the development squads “

But never mind ........

20 hours ago, BIG D said:

Big lad now and looks as if he’s spent a lot of time in the gym in his gap year. Hopefully the ‘wiser’ bit will mean he’s going to do the honourable thing?

583DF66C-6E7F-4703-8C19-F44A70CEF7F7.thumb.jpeg.ab0a3dad9aa6bbf0e3c6e90f75edaa3e.jpeg

Needs to stop skipping 'legs day' at the gym... lol

Been said that we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes but appears to be about money because he wasn't going to be starting games for Leicester and would most likely gone out on loan, which is the plan SWFC had for him.

Had he signed a contract he would now be amongst those young players who have returned and been put into the first team squad. He would probably been at Rotherham who are doing well and would have provided him with ammunition in games to score goals and enhance his reputation, experience and value. Whatever the reasons he has been given bad advise by people close to him.