#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

9 hours ago, striker said:

Jos talking in his press conference wants to look within first to see which of the youth players can become first team regulars, then he will focus recruitment on Championship and Premier League U23 players, presumably to plug the gaps. 

He has recognised the importance of experience in this league but still focusing very much on youth with ability to develop. This makes the link with Honeyman credible and indicates the type of business we will look to do? I think we have also proved that if good enough, we will play younger players and expect us to use the loan market with much greater effectiveness to access the Premier League u23's he mentioned, now they can have trust that their players will get a game. 

Think this is very good news and a shrewd decision, he also spoke about recognising quality and referenced the spine of the team in Lees, BB and FF so looks like our squad will be much more balanced next season.

I think we need to be patient, we are not used to long term thinking at our club, but personally I am much more excited about this approach than paying extortionate amounts for 'named' players based on past reputation and very much looking  forward to seeing what we do this summer.

I think we will see players with pace and power brought in, We are woefully short on both. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toppOwl said:

I can never understand this either, he seems to crop up on a lot of peoples lists.

If FF can take the form and focus of his few comeback games into next season he could be a very, very important player indeed and virtually irreplaceable, one that needs to kept at all costs.

It's because he's 33, injury prone and saleable. Not that difficult to grasp

8 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

It's because he's 33, injury prone and saleable. Not that difficult to grasp

33 isn't old for a keeper, his appearance record prior to this season was very good and you don;t sell your best players if you have any ambition. Not that difficult to grasp.

6 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

33 isn't old for a keeper, his appearance record prior to this season was very good and you don;t sell your best players if you have any ambition. Not that difficult to grasp.

Average Championship keeper for me , to many injuries and he's not getting any younger either 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Watto said:

Average Championship keeper for me , to many injuries and he's not getting any younger either 

Utter nonsense............... IMHO of course.

A few dodgy performances at the start of this season , apart from that he has been one of the best keepers at SWFC in my 50 years watching Wednesday.

Just now, Watto said:

He’s a bit better than that, and certainly better than Foderingham Ideally we’ll keep Westwood, the fact that he’s getting on means that he won’t be blocking the youngsters progress long term

Selling Westwood might just be commercial reality.

If we are struggling cash wise and need to sell some assets then you can only sell the ones there is a buyer for. Of course we would probably prefer to keep Westwood and get rid of say Abdi and Fletcher instead but who is going to take those two.

We need to live in the real world and our objective has probably changed from promotion no matter what it takes to avoiding sanctions.

I thinks Big Dave's position is an interesting one.  A lot of Championship managers have praised him after their teams have faced us. With his contract being up it might not just be the case of whether we offer him a new one or not there will be other teams ready to try and sign him.

4 hours ago, Mickjj said:

I thinks Big Dave's position is an interesting one.  A lot of Championship managers have praised him after their teams have faced us. With his contract being up it might not just be the case of whether we offer him a new one or not there will be other teams ready to try and sign him.

What will we offer him, a one year deal?

for his own benefit he might be better going elsewhere and getting a two or three year deal based on his second half of the season form

2 hours ago, the third man said:

for his own benefit he might be better going elsewhere and getting a two or three year deal based on his second half of the season form

That's what I was thinking. I was talking to a couple of Hull fans the other week who were telling me that Michael Dawson is going to Forest in the summer because they have offered him a three year deal.

If Westwood plays regularly next season then I think there's a fair chance we'll get back to being more solid at the back and perhaps challenging in and around the Top 6 again. It's more in the balance if either Wildsmith or Dawson are number one next season.

On 27/04/2018 at 16:47, the third man said:

Why would we only offer Nuhui a one year deal worth at least 2 or 3 years