#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

5 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Giant stopper, pacy winger minimum.

Doubt we'd get them but I would like someone like Kyle Bartley and someone like Neeskens Kebano.

Last summer I hoped we'd bring in someone like Bartley as a commanding defensive leader and I hoped we'd bring in pace at full back/wing back or on the wing.

I still think we need to upgrade our full backs, bring in a powerful commanding centre back, pace and power, plus some creativity or width.

Neeskens Kebano is out of contract in the summer, depending upon whether or not Fulham go up or not, he might be up for a move to another Championship club for first team football?

But those are two of the types of players I would look at bringing in, not necessarily them but them or someone similar to them would be ideal, along with a couple of full backs.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, malek said:

If Luhuky continue to give youth chance next season, Matt Penney will make lb/lwb spot his own.

I keep seeing this yet he was loaned out to League 1 and is still sat on the bench.  What makes everyone think he is good enough??

7 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I keep seeing this yet he was loaned out to League 1 and is still sat on the bench.  What makes everyone think he is good enough??

Kind of have to agree. Not had a proper left sided player for years. Look what happened when we were short of midfielders, Clare got a chance. Centre backs, Thorniley and Nielsen. 

If this guy was good enough we would have seen him by now.

29 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Kind of have to agree. Not had a proper left sided player for years. Look what happened when we were short of midfielders, Clare got a chance. Centre backs, Thorniley and Nielsen. 

If this guy was good enough we would have seen him by now.

His loan at Bradford was more like a 'work experience' drafted in as cover to James Meredith who now plays for Millwall. This was close to home for him and to get some real lower league experience in a side that made the play-offs.

At Mansfield he was brought in by Steve Evans who fought off a number of other teams to bring him to the the club. Again Mansfield is local to him (being from Chesterfield) and a side pushing promotion. He managed to get a start and a couple of sub appearences however a change of manager affects everything. A new manager will have their favourites and when they dropped out of the promotion race Flitcroft wanted experienced heads to get them back into it.

Cannot write him off yet as I believe he is perfect for the LWB role, however he needs games and a big pre-season. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Another one I'd consider would be Jack Robinson.

Seems a decent enough player, my only worry with him is that he's just spent 2 years out with a knee injury.

Hope he goes on to have a long career and players 1000 games, just not sure I'd gamble on his long term fitness after the season we've had.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Beware end - of - contract performances.

We only just dodged Nick Blackman.

Here here........he's had a decent couple of months for us.....please don't get carried away....we can do better than this man.

1 hour ago, MarkS43Owl said:

His loan at Bradford was more like a 'work experience' drafted in as cover to James Meredith who now plays for Millwall. This was close to home for him and to get some real lower league experience in a side that made the play-offs.

At Mansfield he was brought in by Steve Evans who fought off a number of other teams to bring him to the the club. Again Mansfield is local to him (being from Chesterfield) and a side pushing promotion. He managed to get a start and a couple of sub appearences however a change of manager affects everything. A new manager will have their favourites and when they dropped out of the promotion race Flitcroft wanted experienced heads to get them back into it.

Cannot write him off yet as I believe he is perfect for the LWB role, however he needs games and a big pre-season. 

As you say don't write him off just yet. But i think if people think he is going to step into the left wing back spot and make it his own they maybe disappointed.

Penny's careers here seems to be similar to stobbs. Just not quite good enough to make the jump to the first team.

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

As you say don't write him off just yet. But i think if people think he is going to step into the left wing back spot and make it his own they maybe disappointed.

Penny's careers here seems to be similar to stobbs. Just not quite good enough to make the jump to the first team.

100% I don't think you can expect him to come back in pre-season and be the first choice LWB at all, however i would like to see a proven player brought in which would allow Penney to challenge and learn from.

Can't see Stobbs getting a look in, especially if we play with 5 at the back.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Unfortunately I'm of the same mind.

Penney has been one of the brightest sparks in our academy over the last couple of years and probably has the third best left peg at the entire club, but it's a huge worry that at 20 he still only has 66 minutes of first team league football. It could just be bad luck, it could just be he's lacking that "something", but either way you can't help but feel he's lacking the experience you'd expect of a young lad on the cusp of breaking into a Championship squad. My guess is that even if he's got what it takes, it'll still be another 12 months before we regularly see him around our squad... he needs to get that first team experience in a successful loan spell first.

15 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Penney has been one of the brightest sparks in our academy over the last couple of years and probably has the third best left peg at the entire club, but it's a huge worry that at 20 he still only has 66 minutes of first team league football. It could just be bad luck, it could just be he's lacking that "something", but either way you can't help but feel he's lacking the experience you'd expect of a young lad on the cusp of breaking into a Championship squad. My guess is that even if he's got what it takes, it'll still be another 12 months before we regularly see him around our squad... he needs to get that first team experience in a successful loan spell first.

There is clearly something that he lacks to be able to make the step up. may come with time. but if your going out on loan to a league 2 sides and struggling to make an impact there then there is doubt he will ever be good enough for us. Same applies to Stobbs aswell. I am suprised we offered him a new deal actually. As up until his new contract runs out in 2020 I will be surprised if makes anymore than 2 or 3 appearances for the first team. And I think it's only the fact he is on a relatively low wage and is very good for the u23s that he got the contact at all. bet if he would have asked for say double the money or some sort of first team assurances he probably wouldn't have seen a new deal.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

A lot of comments in the press about us being favourites to sign Jack Marriott We should be wary

Hes a decent goal scorer at lower league level, but looks to me like another Jordan Rhodes

Doesn't this guy have some pace though? surely that makes him vastly different to Rhodes in that department lol 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sticky belly said:

Doesn't this guy have some pace though? surely that makes him vastly different to Rhodes in that department lol 

He does, but like Rhodes, and Winnall for that matter, he doesn’t have the level of footballing ability we need going forward

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He does, but like Rhodes, and Winnall for that matter, he doesn’t have the level of footballing ability we need going forward

Tell that to Gary Madine and Cardiff :laugh:

Joking aside, what Cardiff have shown is you can sign players other people have dismissed like Hoillet and Bamba and turn them into top 2 players when the system suits them 

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Is this the same Winnall that has scored on average a goal every 154 minutes of Championship football he's played in his career? 

Jos seems the sort of coach that can get the best out of players. While I agree that players like Winnall are limited, I think it's unfair to put him in the same bracket as Rhodes. He's shown, even recently with a goal every 106 minutes of footie for Derby, that he's a goalscorer in this league. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Is this the same Winnall that has scored on average a goal every 154 minutes of Championship football he's played in his career? 

Jos seems the sort of coach that can get the best out of players. While I agree that players like Winnall are limited, I think it's unfair to put him in the same bracket as Rhodes. He's shown, even recently with a goal every 106 minutes of footie for Derby, that he's a goalscorer in this league. 

It’s my opinion we need to get away from players like that Again, and it’s only my opinion, we’ve passed that stage We needed to add quality, not quantity to that Wembley final team, something we haven’t done

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Penney should feel left down by the club.

First they sent him to Bradford when in his first interview after bringing him in their manager (McCall) said how although he came highly recommended Penney will be used only in case of injury or suspension to James Meredith as they had no other left-backs at the club.

Why sending him out on loan under such arrangement ?!

Evans said how he was tracking him since last season and had to beat number of League One and League Two clubs to bring him in. He also told that Penney will be very important player in their promotion bid, but due to lack of first team experience he wanted to give him time to bed in and adapt before starting for Mansfield.

Evans left, and Flitcroft who is notorious for not giving youth chance took over (just ask Bury fans, and Sean Clare who barely played under him).

I believe that he will make his SWFC debut next season, and that he won't left anyone down.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Penney should feel left down by the club.

First they sent him to Bradford when in his first interview after bringing him in their manager (McCall) said how although he came highly recommended Penney will be used only in case of injury or suspension to James Meredith as they had no other left-backs at the club.

Why sending him out on loan under such arrangement ?!

Evans said how he was tracking him since last season and had to beat number of League One and League Two clubs to bring him in. He also told that Penney will be very important player in their promotion bid, but due to lack of first team experience he wanted to give him time to bed in and adapt before starting for Mansfield.

Evans left, and Flitcroft who is notorious for not giving youth chance took over (just ask Bury fans, and Sean Clare who barely played under him).

I believe that he will make his SWFC debut next season, and that he won't left anyone down.

Covered this a bit further up. But you are spot on.