#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

On 4/26/2018 at 11:13, Rogers said:

Why does everyone want to get rid of Westwood. Best keeper we’ve had

Personally, I don't want him to go, but if we have to make sacrifices for financial reasons then better him than a FF or a Hooper.

At least we have keepers we can bring in who are decent.

Looking forward to the first bonafide rumour. Then, our first transfer.....

I don't need it to be glamorous, I just need it to make sense!! Too often over the last couple of years, our transfers have left you scratching your head, sometimes even when it's been a good player.

I'm looking for players that can grow, with a solid work ethic and mentally tough.

We should have bought Barnsley last year, transferred their scouting dept and turned them into a Sunday League team, everyone's a winner. lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

Looking forward to the first bonafide rumour. Then, our first transfer.....

I don't need it to be glamorous, I just need it to make sense!! Too often over the last couple of years, our transfers have left you scratching your head, sometimes even when it's been a good player.

I'm looking for players that can grow, with a solid work ethic and mentally tough.

We should have bought Barnsley last year, transferred their scouting dept and turned them into a Sunday League team, everyone's a winner. lol

They are having a good go at that themselves to be fair.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Is there any precedent for getting the kind of fee that people are quoting for Westwood?

Three million seems like a lot for a 33 year old goalkeeper.

No, there isn’t, and I hope we keep him Don’t think we’d risk going into a season with just Wildsmith and Dawson, well not yet anyway Having the experience of Westwood around for another year, would probably be the sensible approach 

Because of his age, he isn’t going to block their progress long term

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No, there isn’t, and I hope we keep him Don’t think we’d risk going into a season with just Wildsmith and Dawson, well not yet anyway Having the experience of Westwood around for another year, would probably be the sensible approach 

Because of his age, he isn’t going to block their progress long term

Totally agree. I mean, in our financial position you might have to consider £3million for one the few saleable assets that we have reasonable back up for, but then I don’t think we’d get £3million. More valuable to the team than the price we’d actually get.

With regard Westwood his performances this season were average at best and in some games not up to standard. Dawson and Wildsmith definitely outperformed Westwood in goal for us this season. In his first season Westwood was brilliant but you are only as good as your last match and for some reason this season Westwood was below par. There can be many reasons for this, carrying an injury, being denied a move which would have made him money, who knows but he was not playing well.. Its interesting there has been speculation about him and this will have more than likely been initiated by his agent.

Dawson and Wildsmith have both had good seasons and will only improve. You can not say Westwood will improve next year with any certainty.

Jos says he lives in the present and not in the past when asked about players and think he is correct. I suspect Westwood is onhis way.

Westwood was slightly under par this season. Wildsmith has easily made just as many mistakes though and a cynic might suggest Dawson is only flavour of the month because he’s not had a proper chance yet.

Do anyone else think it's key that we finally upgrade our full backs/wing backs? I'd look at bringing in some pace, so that we can keep Reach in an attacking position along with Forestieri. I'd look at some of the out of contract players like Jake Bidwell and Andy Yiadom, etc. Someone capable of defending and attacking. I'd consider looking at trying to bring in a couple of full backs that are able to play as wing backs. Are there any other realistic suitable players available that would be a upgrade for our full backs?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Are there any other realistic suitable players available that would be a upgrade for our full backs?

Well, since we don't have a real left wing back right now, yes.

Pudil and Fox are both better on the left of a back 3 and Reach just doesn't seem to have enough about him defensively.

Fabio on a free from Boro is the obvious one. Perfect for us. Quality, forward minded, and he wants to play every game, which given that we have no one to challenge him is pretty certain!

I'd look to bring in Greg Taylor too.. He's a 20 year old at Kilmarnock, who's well thought of. For some reason Scotland's churning out left back right now.. Keiran Tierney at Celtic, Andrew Robertson at Liverpool, Barry Douglas at Wolves. Taylor's not on that level yet, but he's shown a lot of promise, has 82 games and over 7000 minutes under his belt and would be a cheap understudy who could learn a lot from Fabio.

At right back, Andy Yiadom's the obvious one. On a free from Barnsley. Suits the wingback role and while just as quick is probably a bit more solid defensively than Hunt.

So there's three, two on a free and one probably costing a couple of hundred k.

• Thanks 1

If there's one position we don't need to address, it's striker, so I'd rather we didn't end up spending £5 million or more on Marriott, regardless of what a good player he is. 

Could somebody remind me - I remember the Premier League voted to close the transfer window before the season started (which I thought was an excellent move), but did that apply to the Football League as well or will our window go through til the end of August again?

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Pudil and Fox are both better on the left of a back 3 and Reach just doesn't seem to have enough about him defensively.

Fabio on a free from Boro is the obvious one. Perfect for us. Quality, forward minded, and he wants to play every game, which given that we have no one to challenge him is pretty certain!

I'd look to bring in Greg Taylor too.. He's a 20 year old at Kilmarnock, who's well thought of. For some reason Scotland's churning out left back right now.. Keiran Tierney at Celtic, Andrew Robertson at Liverpool, Barry Douglas at Wolves. Taylor's not on that level yet, but he's shown a lot of promise, has 82 games and over 7000 minutes under his belt and would be a cheap understudy who could learn a lot from Fabio.

At right back, Andy Yiadom's the obvious one. On a free from Barnsley. Suits the wingback role and while just as quick is probably a bit more solid defensively than Hunt.

Cheers. Seems like there's a few decent ones around out of contract this summer.

Andy Yiadom sounds to me like he would be a good signing.

Another one I'd consider would be Jack Robinson.

Someone like your Greg Taylor suggestion sounds like a smart option to consider too.

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Do anyone else think it's key that we finally upgrade our full backs/wing backs? I'd look at bringing in some pace, so that we can keep Reach in an attacking position along with Forestieri. I'd look at some of the out of contract players like Jake Bidwell and Andy Yiadom, etc. Someone capable of defending and attacking. I'd consider looking at trying to bring in a couple of full backs that are able to play as wing backs. Are there any other realistic suitable players available that would be a upgrade for our full backs?

I agree yes. It's clear he is going to be playing a 532 or 352 and the wing backs in this system are absolutely vital. Pace and stamina are required to get up and down. I think Hunt can do it, but i'm not sure we can rely on him totally given his injury record. Palmer in my opinion is not good enough or Rizzle kicks as the bloke behind me call him lol . The left side is absolutely desperate though, Fox and Pudil do not have the attributes to play wing back imho, neither are strong enough runners. So yes we could do with a couple of wing backs. I also think this system is not good for Reach. For me is he a left winger and his best asset is his crossing from the left. But he's not strong or physical enough to play centrally and cannot defend well enough to play wing back. The only place i can see him playing is in a 'floating' roll behind the front man...

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

If Luhuky continue to give youth chance next season, Matt Penney will make lb/lwb spot his own.

1 hour ago, fred mciver said:

Giant stopper, pacy winger minimum.

And a midfield box to box beast .

The three positions we have needed to sort for the last two years .

20 minutes ago, malek said:

If Luhuky continue to give youth chance next season, Matt Penney will make lb/lwb spot his own.

This kid scores great goals in the youth teams but hasn't had a kick at Bradford or Mansfield. We know first hand about managers that don't trust kids but surely if this guy had anything about him he'd get in a League 1 or 2 side.