#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

29 minutes ago, malek said:

Penney should feel left down by the club.

First they sent him to Bradford when in his first interview after bringing him in their manager (McCall) said how although he came highly recommended Penney will be used only in case of injury or suspension to James Meredith as they had no other left-backs at the club.

Why sending him out on loan under such arrangement ?!

Evans said how he was tracking him since last season and had to beat number of League One and League Two clubs to bring him in. He also told that Penney will be very important player in their promotion bid, but due to lack of first team experience he wanted to give him time to bed in and adapt before starting for Mansfield.

Evans left, and Flitcroft who is notorious for not giving youth chance took over (just ask Bury fans, and Sean Clare who barely played under him).

I believe that he will make his SWFC debut next season, and that he won't left anyone down.

I'm not going to judge either way, but from what's been said on here  by yourselves and others in the past it does seem like he's just had some atrocious bad luck with these loan spells. For that reason alone I'm still optimistic he'll come good... it certainly seems to be the prevailing tone from those that follow the youth team more than myself (you being one of them), so skeptically optimistic shall be my stance for now :biggrin:

Penney has been sent on two terrible loans, the club needs to think about just giving him a chance ourselves , looked every bit good enough when I’ve seen the lad in 23’s 

Guest wilyfox
4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

A lot of comments in the press about us being favourites to sign Jack Marriott We should be wary

Hes a decent goal scorer at lower league level, but looks to me like another Jordan Rhodes

Hmmm, I'm leaning that way too. Not sure how quick Marriott is. Steve Evans' comments about him needing service discourage me. Does Marriott have enough about his game, or just another box player like Fletcher & Rhodes?

i prefer forwards of the Joao and Forestieri mould whom can conjure something for themselves at times. No more goal-hangers please. I look at Marriott and fear he has a touch of the Stevie May's. 

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

Penney has been sent on two terrible loans, the club needs to think about just giving him a chance ourselves , looked every bit good enough when I’ve seen the lad in 23’s 

Maybe we will. but my argument would be that we would have done already.

@StudentOwl Had it right in the first post with that if we are going to see the best of him it won't be for a year or so yet. Some players need a loan spell or two to get it going. Harry Kane being the best example you're going to get. but if you are good enough then you don't tend to go out on loan you tend to be kept around the club in case you are needed. Hirst has never been out on loan. is that because we deemed him good enough to make the step up if we needed him to so we wanted him avalible for us or another reason. Not work out to well that has it.

Will Penney be a late bloomer. Maybe. but it's going to take time.

26 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Maybe we will. but my argument would be that we would have done already.

@StudentOwl Had it right in the first post with that if we are going to see the best of him it won't be for a year or so yet. Some players need a loan spell or two to get it going. Harry Kane being the best example you're going to get. but if you are good enough then you don't tend to go out on loan you tend to be kept around the club in case you are needed. Hirst has never been out on loan. is that because we deemed him good enough to make the step up if we needed him to so we wanted him avalible for us or another reason. Not work out to well that has it.

Will Penney be a late bloomer. Maybe. but it's going to take time.

Hard to say without giving him a chance first.

Hope he goes on pre-season tour with first team, getting evaluated by Luhukay in the process. In my opinion he should have been part of the first team this season if not before.

If you look at the chances young Thorniley/Neilson/Kirby and Clare have been given by Jos, it’s hard to imagine Penney not getting a chance

If Carlos was still here I would probably say Penney may be better moving on, but I’ve got a good feeling in Luhukay we’ve a manager who isn’t scared of showing faith in the young lads 

32 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

If you look at the chances young Thorniley/Neilson/Kirby and Clare have been given by Jos, it’s hard to imagine Penney not getting a chance

If Carlos was still here I would probably say Penney may be better moving on, but I’ve got a good feeling in Luhukay we’ve a manager who isn’t scared of showing faith in the young lads 

It was bad timing for Penney. Was injured when Bullen and then Jos took over. Get back to full fitness with loan window closing, Evans determined to bring him to Mansfield, and Jos not having chance to get a good look at him.

Jos has outlined transfer plans,

1. Look at what we have got.in the club including u23s and u18s

2. Look at players in Championship who are familiar with league and its requirements

3. Look at Premier u/23 players

I got distinct impression before that he was looking at youth.

There was no mention of foreign, league1 or 2 or Scottish. Yet HTIC and football league are comtinually linking us with stories to players in these leagues. This is poor lazy journalism.

Jos may have been telling fibs but think its unlikely. 

Only link so farwhich may have semblance of truth is one relating to Honeyman as he fits profile.

9 minutes ago, Quist said:

Jos has outlined transfer plans,

1. Look at what we have got.in the club including u23s and u18s

2. Look at players in Championship who are familiar with league and its requirements

3. Look at Premier u/23 players

I got distinct impression before that he was looking at youth.

There was no mention of foreign, league1 or 2 or Scottish. Yet HTIC and football league are comtinually linking us with stories to players in these leagues. This is poor lazy journalism.

Jos may have been telling fibs but think its unlikely. 

Only link so farwhich may have semblance of truth is one relating to Honeyman as he fits profile.

Though after he said that, we again had scouts at Benfica Who knows what we will do, I’m sure there will be other people who have more input than Jos

Regarding the Penney situation and people saying how he's had a couple of awful loan spells where they refuse to then play him. It's a swings and roundabout situation if you cast your mind to Carlos and his awful use of loans. I'm sure the Penney situation is no different to that of McManaman, Emmanuelson, Buckley, Venancio and McGeady. 

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

A lot of comments in the press about us being favourites to sign Jack Marriott We should be wary

Hes a decent goal scorer at lower league level, but looks to me like another Jordan Rhodes

He is fast , direct and plays off the shoulder of the centre half . More like Jamie Vardy than Rhodes in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Marriot is a Hungry young player Rhodes is not .

Correct. A player on his way up in the game with a sell on value. Just the type of player we should be looking to sign.

Just reading the comments this morning about our younger players. I don’t think there is anyone on here that wouldn’t love to see these boys feature next season. With good coaching, mentoring and of course luck we’ll see one or two become more established. 

It’s all about balance, for me, any healthy squad should always have a handful of youngsters knocking on the first team door. Certainly any that are knocking should be the backup options in their respective positions not aging pro’s on big money. What is absolutely critical is that we get that balance right. Too much onus on youth and we could easily find ourselves in trouble again but for different reasons.

I still think we’ll push for the “right” players if they are available but fully expect next season to be a transitional one as Jos re-shapes the squad and our finances are balanced. Different playing style and mentality more tactical flexibility, less predictability. Jos has done incredibly well to reach the end of the season in a position where we can start a fresh and with optimism next season, it could have been very different.

Even though there are plenty of challenges I still feel more positive and excited by next season than I have the last two.

Edited by Morepork

22 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Just reading the comments this morning about our younger players. I don’t think there is anyone on here that wouldn’t love to see these boys feature next season. With good coaching, mentoring and of course luck we’ll see one or two become more established. 

It’s all about balance, for me, any healthy squad should always have a handful of youngsters knocking on the first team door. Certainly any that are knocking should be the backup options in their respective positions not aging pro’s on big money. What is absolutely critical is that we get that balance right. Too much onus on youth and we could easily find ourselves in trouble again but for different reasons.

I still think we’ll push for the “right” players if they are available but fully expect next season to be a transitional one as Jos re-shapes the squad and our finances are balanced. Different playing style and mentality more tactical flexibility, less predictability. Jos has done incredibly well to reach the end of the season in a position where we can start a fresh and with optimism next season, it could have been very different.

Even though there are plenty of challenges I still feel more positive and excited by next season than I have the last two.

Yes, I’ve long thought our squad was too large and unwieldy Too many ageing back up players duplicating the starting eleven, and when we did have that injury crisis, what good did it do us?

What we should have done was, invest in a few quality options, which would have taken our starting level up a notch or two, and then integrated the best of the youngsters to make the numbers up

Lets not get carried away though, from what I’ve seen, Sean Clare was significantly better than the others, though that’s not to say that some of the others won’t have a chance In agreement though, that a squad with a smattering of home grown youngsters is the way forward We do need to hold on to any gems that we produce though, or at least make sure we get a sizeable fee for them

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Correct. A player on his way up in the game with a sell on value. Just the type of player we should be looking to sign.

We have no chance whatsoever of signing either Marriott or Maddison from Peterborough.

Their chairman rates Marriott as better than both Gayle and Asombalonga at this stage. He wants at least 8m for him

Theu have already turned down 6m for Maddison in January so it’s going to take a similar amount to get him

9 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

No links, but Sonny Bradley reminds me of a Shaun Morrison type, 11 goals in 89 games at Plymouth. Very tall and aggressive and on a free this summer.

Plus he's about 6'5" and was voted in the L2 team last year. 

Another player voted worth a mention is Oztumer at Walsall, also on a free, who has scored, 16 goals this year from midfield.

Creative player, whose downside is that he is only 5'3". He was voted in the L1 team this year, a decent achievement playing for a team that only escaped the threat of relegation this week. 

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

We have no chance whatsoever of signing either Marriott or Maddison from Peterborough.

Their chairman rates Marriott as better than both Gayle and Asombalonga at this stage. He wants at least 8m for him

Theu have already turned down 6m for Maddison in January so it’s going to take a similar amount to get him

I agree we probably have no chance, but their chairman talks out his arris. Both Gayle and Assombalonga looked much better in terms of making a bigger step up.