How good can Lucas Joao be at Sheffield Wednesday?

Think it's time we stopped talking about "potential" with relation to Lucas Joao. 

He has all the physical and technical attributes to be a beast of a player at this level; while I think his chances have been restricted in the last couple of seasons, he now looks like he's going to get a relatively continued run in the side. At 24 and with 18 months left on his contract then it's now or never for the lad IMHO.

Has decent pace and trickery, think he scores most of his goals from bench so a good option against tiring defences.

Seems to tire or fade quickly when starting tho, possibly partly due to running with ball alot or low stamina.

Head goes down easy, lacks composure and finishing consistency in front of goal and tires, if he somehow sorted all that he could be a dangerous 20+ goal striker at this level instead of bit part 10 goal max scorer now.

Regular posters om here will know that I have never been a fan of Joao, but in his recent outings he has begun to look as if he is being allowed to play to his potential.

All of a sudden he has realised he is a big lad and is using his physical attributes at last.

Maybe this is Jossie's influence.

His composure is pretty good when he's in form and confident. Same as nearly every other striker on the planet. He's calmer than most we've had in the last 20 years.

For me he should be starting every league game this season, alongside Hooper when fit or Nuhiu or Fletcher until then. See how he does with a long run of games. He's got more attributes than Nuhiu, Fletcher and Rhodes. Give the lad half a season to prove himself

Guest Jack the Hat

My opinion of him is this. When he first came he did well and got noticed, particularly against Arsenal. He got a bit big headed - and maybe agents were nudging him - lost a bit of form and got sent into the Carlos wilderness. Although he misses some sitters he is also one of or best finishes with mid - hard chances (Second to Hooper, I would say). He has : pace (unlike anyone else in our team), a physical presence (unlike Rhodes), is different to what else we have on offer, and other teams seem to hate playing against him(like Nihui but better). Only thing he needs to do is stick the easy ones away - but then it took Hirst a while to start scoring the easy ones - and he will be a great striker. One of the reasons he misses the sitters is cos he gets there in the first place. After his initial heights he has dropped back to being loaned out and realises how big an opportunity the massive is for him, so now he will give his right tooth to get in the side. He has 18 months to prove what I have said - but I think by then he will be one of our key men.

Edited by Jack the Hat

Sort of player about once a season will be having a drink after the game and everyone will be saying he won match by himself and then next match back to normal. 

Been at Wednesday 2.1/2 years and only playing really because of an injury crisis at moment. Will need a really good run of form for me to justify him being here next season. If season ended now would ship him out without a second thought.

I wonder if the fact that he hasn't developed is down to Carlos, who, - whatever his tactical abilities, doesn't seem to have a pedigree for actually developing players and making them better.

Personally, I hope that Jos will work with Joao and coach him to improve his finishing and be more consistent.  The pace that he has is better than anyone else in the squad and a couple of times in his first season, we scored on the counter-attack due to intelligent use of his pace and good finishing.  If Jos can build on that, we could yet have a great player on our hands.

I think he has actually got stronger and protects the ball better , we have no other striker who can turn a player and leave him for dead like Lucas does .

His concentration and body language needs to improve but I would like him to have a extended run now as long as he keeps the effort up . 

Age is irrelevant. Football is littered with players who looked world beaters at 24 and then disappeared and vice versa. He's got loads of time to develop. Don't forget Pelupessy is the same age as him and what an owlstalk bumfest he's caused.

Thing that strikes me about that video is that he looked stronger, fitter and sharper in front of goal 2 years ago than he does now.

He was gambling on knock downs and second balls then too which he isn't doing at present.

Somehow seems less coordinated in his movement. Can only be the lack of intensive training especially of the fringe players under Carlos.

Joao is surely a player that can benefit from a run in the team with better coaching from Jos and co.

Defence has been seradied but work to do in attack. Team needs to be running at opposition defences at pace again. Only Reach seems capable of that until Forestieri Bannan and Lee return. Time to give young Clare a chance to see if he can do it at Championship level. A Gills supporting pal of mine rated him highly in league 1.

Joao will benefit from someone to help him by providing the sort of passess Forestieri was giving him 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Gnarwolf said:

Actually can't believe some on here think that you've stopped developing as a footballer at 24/25, what an insane statement that is.

We signed Johnny Quinn from Prescot Cables , he had a 3 year appointment with HM Armed services and was not always available for Wednesday games. Like Joao Quinn was very hit and miss with Wednesday. However from his mid 20's he developed rapidly and was perhaps one of our top performers, all be it in a utility role, when he was inexplicably moved on to Rotherham. We got our monies worth out of Quinn and it's my belief Joao will improve similarly.