How good can Lucas Joao be at Sheffield Wednesday?

He arrived with raw talent but with a game full of errors & inconsistencies. He then went backwards until very recently & has now progressed to the same level he was at when he arrived with the same errors & inconsistencies.

He needs to grasp the opportunity he now has & make a more rapid improvement or he will be back out of the side once Forestieri & Hooper are fit.

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

His composure is pretty good when he's in form and confident. Same as nearly every other striker on the planet. He's calmer than most we've had in the last 20 years.

For me he should be starting every league game this season, alongside Hooper when fit or Nuhiu or Fletcher until then. See how he does with a long run of games. He's got more attributes than Nuhiu, Fletcher and Rhodes. Give the lad half a season to prove himself

I'm with you on this one. Never been given a fair crack of the whip. He's got one thing none of our other strikers have....pace

37 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

The main thing he is lacking imo is putting the ball in the back of the net when good chances are handed to him. If he can work on that he could be a top player for us, could do with bulking up a little also.

I think he as bulked up. First time he came on this season I had to ask my mate who it was

24 minutes ago, mogbad said:

He arrived with raw talent but with a game full of errors & inconsistencies. He then went backwards until very recently & has now progressed to the same level he was at when he arrived with the same errors & inconsistencies.

He needs to grasp the opportunity he now has & make a more rapid improvement or he will be back out of the side once Forestieri & Hooper are fit.

Absolutely agree.

Also I believe he’s a Doyen client so his future will be affected by the state of our relationship with them. May mean he gets moved on early if there’s a deal for him elsewhere.

All the ingredients are there from a physical and ability perspective, but my main doubt is what’s going on in his head. Quite often his body language appears to betray frustration and if I were his coach I’d be telling him to man up.  

Professional football is a tough game and players willl love to see tantrums and frustration written all over their opposite number.  For me if Joao can sort out the mental side of his game the rest will come good.

He arrived with "raw" talent I admit....and for long enough we have been sayin' "Hey tho..that "raw" talent

Time to step up Lucas....

You watch him do that sorta drag across the ball with his studs against Forest..then bury it..an' think "Crikey"....You watch him go through one on one against Brentford the other year..and think "Oh Yes"...Then you watch him and watch him...and watch him....

Its bloody infuriatingly inconsistent...........

Problem at the minute is by playing Joao and Rhodes then they both look like they need an arm around them. I feel that with different partners then Joao could add something to the team as he offers more than Rhodes.

Basically Rhodes is a non-functioning goalscorer and that rings more alarm bells for me than Joao not scoring regularly as he can offer pace and a bit more directness at times. 

4 hours ago, Gnarwolf said:

Actually can't believe some on here think that you've stopped developing as a footballer at 24/25, what an insane statement that is.

No I fully agree that you can develop beyond that, you have to however show potential to do so. Unfortunately in my opinion Joao has not shown himself to be, or have, anywhere near the potential required. 

He's not actually had much football has he?

A year more or less wasted last season. Despite the loan.

I genuinely think he has all the tools  in his locker physically and technically to be an excellent player.

The one thing I have always had concerns about is the mental side of the game. Decision making. Sometimes that clicks with a player. Sometimes it doesn't.

If he can get on top of that then I think he has the chance to be a big player for us in the coming years.

It goes back to the old thing about 'when does potential start become unused talent' .

He's certainly looked lively of late. A run in the team (which he fully deserves) will only help him improve I'm sure. As long as he's remembering and learning along the way.

I still don't think he's fully up to match sharpness ,IMO, and when he is. If he can continue and improve even slightly on what he's been doing of late then I think we'll really start to see the reason we paid the fee we did for him.

Guest Willow Owl

I keep reading that Joao has pace. So does Usain Bolt, but doesn't make him a good forward. For me does not possess the necessary minerals when it gets tough. Has abilty but how long do you keep saying this before deciding enough is enough.