How good can Lucas Joao be at Sheffield Wednesday?

Guest wilyfox

Could still do well in English football, I feel. Needs a run of games. Must find consistency in his performance and composure in front of goal - but has all the necessary attributes. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

Could still do well in English football, I feel. Needs a run of games. Must find consistency in his performance and composure in front of goal - but has all the necessary attributes. 

I'm afraid, IMO, he'll never find that composure.

Misses far too many chances, for me.

3 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

Have I gone back in time? He has been here since 2015 and as for potential, he is approaching his 25th birthday.

Apologies if you are confused

I'm sure everyone else understands this very easy to understand thread on how much potential Joao has to go on and be either a regular first team megastar or stumbles into an inconsistent mess

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I'm sure everyone else understands this very easy to understand thread on how much potential Joao has to go on and be either a megastar or stumbles into an inconsistent mess

No problem thanks for the apology.

He is gash and an OK performance against dem blades doesnt change that.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm sure everyone else understands this very easy to understand thread on how much potential Joao has to go on and be either a regular first team megastar or stumbles into an inconsistent mess

Unfortunately I fear it will be the latter. Never kicked on and in fact seems to have regressed since we signed him. 

Deserved MOM last week for his application, skill at times and movement.

Finishing doesn't appear to be his strong point which for a striker is a bit of a problem

Would like him to have a run of games under Jos and see what happens. 

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

I'm afraid, IMO, he'll never find that composure.

Misses far too many chances, for me.

He does. Not saying there's a 25-goal finisher in him, but he's capable of double-figures and helping the team. Has the pace, works the channels well and can beat a man. Oddly, the ball sticks better with him than Rhodes as well, who usually ends up on his arse. 

I'm not seeing it right now. He's sometimes brilliant and sometimes awful.. but seems like he can't find the consistency to produce every time he goes out. He's the kind of player you might put on the bench in the hope that he might have a good day when you need him, but to be honest I'd move him on in the summer.

Don't want to be too negative about any player but there's a reason Lucas is our 4th/5th choice Striker. Mainly his 1/6 strike ratio for us.....

18 month left on his contract and if he develops as much in that time as he has in the past 2 1/2 years I can't see it being renewed.

Needs a run and get his confidence in front of goal.  His right foot miss vs Cardiff was poor.  Has so much skill to bamboozle even the best defenders, Bamba didn't know what to do with him.

Him and Hoops with FF coming in off right wing and Boyd from left with Pelupessy +1 in midfield should be strong enough to cause issues for most teams.  

Keeper

Palmer Venancio VanAke Penney/ Pudil

Pelespussy

FF         Reach          Boyd

Hooper/ Matias

Joao

Would love to see this team get a run out.  Venancio is a talker who can best out of VA, Pele can screen, Reach up and down switching out with Boyd, Joao can run the right channel whilst FF gets into more advanced central positions with Hoops popping up all over linking play.

Needs Joao's mobility to get the most out of the formation, and was one of Jos favourite formations in Germany.