How good can Lucas Joao be at Sheffield Wednesday?

The lad has natural ability but has been overlooked for long periods.

This will have done neither his development or his confidence any good.

Jos can see this and if anyone can get the lad firing he can, he has many positive attributes.

Agree with others he needs to work on his mental game as much as anything else if he wants to make the grade.

No idea...

Has put in two very good performances recently against Dem Blades and Cardiff. 

He's bulked up a fair bit and is holding the ball up really well. 

Biggest problem with Lucas is I'm not always convinced he knows exactly what he's doing, but I suppose that means he brings a bit of a spark which others lack. 

Got to work on that finishing though (he's not the only one). 

16 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Jos can see this and if anyone can get the lad firing he can, he has many positive attributes.

Agree with others he needs to work on his mental game as much as anything else if he wants to make the grade.

I don't think he's been overlooked, I think he went off the rails, he started to think he was something special when he was just a kid with the potential to be something special. He got above himself, then he got the tooth knocked out, he was devastated by it, not the reaction of a warrior. During that period he just wasn't good enough compared to the other strikers we had.

All credit to him he seems to be finding his way again . I hope he continues to improve.

24 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

I know I've said this before but I don't think developing players was in his head 

I think man management  is a big failing of Carlos 

the way matias and joao have suddenly become available makes you wonder if they were 'rats'

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

I don't think he's been overlooked, I think he went off the rails, he started to think he was something special when he was just a kid with the potential to be something special. He got above himself, then he got the tooth knocked out, he was devastated by it, not the reaction of a warrior. During that period he just wasn't good enough compared to the other strikers we had.

All credit to him he seems to be finding his way again . I hope he continues to improve.

You're probably right about not being overlooked, I guess he's only getting a chance to start now because just about every other forward we have is on the treatment table.

His best work has always been off the bench as an impact player.

Maybe that's his strength ? I wouldn't be disappointed if he turned into a version of Ole Gunar Sjölskaer !

I wouldn't be pinning our hopes on a striker who's only scored 15 goals in a 106 games at a decent level ......yes he's scored the odd good goal but his finishing is generally  poor , his hold up play isn't the best , he's not that strong in the air , and he's not the bravest centre forward I've seen .....he's pacey and that's about it imo .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I wouldn't be pinning our hopes on a striker who's only scored 15 goals in a 106 games at a decent level ......yes he's scored the odd good goal but his finishing is generally  poor , his hold up play isn't the best , he's not that strong in the air , and he's not the bravest centre forward I've seen .....

Apart from that he's alright.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Don't want to be too negative about any player but there's a reason Lucas is our 4th/5th choice Striker. Mainly his 1/6 strike ratio for us.....

18 month left on his contract and if he develops as much in that time as he has in the past 2 1/2 years I can't see it being renewed.

The reason he became 4/5th choice striker is because he fell off Carlos's list of favourites. David Hirst was kept out of our first team by Colin West.

I'm glad everybody here now has a clean slate and these decisions will be made objectively by someone unfamiliar with these players.

Time for him to be given a fair chance just like any of our other strikers. Without Hooper we don’t score goals so someone is going to have to step up to the plate. I’m afraid there can be no more excuses for any of the strikers as we need goals from them - any of them. 4 very good chances last Saturday, we have got to score at least one of them and that’s being extremely lenient as you couldn’t really wish for better opportunities. 

I know it’s hard to tell from the little time they spent together on the pitch but it did look like João and Matias operated on the same wavelength. Just after Matias came on there was a lovely little passage of play between the two of them that lead to Matias almost being one on one with the keeper. I’ve haven’t seen too many examples of our two strikers successfully linking up this season.

25 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

You're probably right about not being overlooked, I guess he's only getting a chance to start now because just about every other forward we have is on the treatment table.

His best work has always been off the bench as an impact player.

Maybe that's his strength ? I wouldn't be disappointed if he turned into a version of Ole Gunar Sjölskaer !

DR.jpg

We can't talk about potential, that's ridiculous for a player his age.

We can discuss whether he can improve his attitude, decision making and team play, and if he does that he will be a very useful striker at this level. 

His pace and confidence have seen him get to here, if he wants to go further he can and maybe play for his country again. Its entirely up to Joao and how hard he wants to work.

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

The reason he became 4/5th choice striker is because he fell off Carlos's list of favourites. David Hirst was kept out of our first team by Colin West.

I'm glad everybody here now has a clean slate and these decisions will be made objectively by someone unfamiliar with these players.

With the greatest respect....he went for almost a year without scoring a goal. That’s why he became 4th/5th choice.