We will need so many new players

Even if we do get a new manager, we need so many new players as there are, sadly, so many players whose best days are behind them, despite some being good servants for us - e.g. Westwood, Loovens, Hutchison, Lee, Pudil, Wallace, Hooper, Fletcher. With other consistently under performing players who either lack consistency, pace or the basic quality of effort, I can't see anyone getting this squad into a play-off position. We need a minimum of 5 or 6 first team regulars replacing to stand a chance. I don't think Carlos can turn this around now, but I don't see a new manager doing anything special with these current crop of players.

Additionally, I hope if Carlos is removed, it is done with dignity. I'd hate it for the crowd to have the opportunity to turn against him. Whatever the current circumstances, he (nor we as supporters) deserve to suffer that experience.

1 hour ago, 4evaowl said:

Even if we do get a new manager, we need so many new players as there are, sadly, so many players whose best days are behind them, despite some being good servants for us - e.g. Westwood, Loovens, Hutchison, Lee, Pudil, Wallace, Hooper, Fletcher. With other consistently under performing players who either lack consistency, pace or the basic quality of effort, I can't see anyone getting this squad into a play-off position. We need a minimum of 5 or 6 first team regulars replacing to stand a chance. I don't think Carlos can turn this around now, but I don't see a new manager doing anything special with these current crop of players.

Additionally, I hope if Carlos is removed, it is done with dignity. I'd hate it for the crowd to have the opportunity to turn against him. Whatever the current circumstances, he (nor we as supporters) deserve to suffer that experience.

Westwood? Lee? Hooper?

:wacko:

• Haha 2

I said a few months back when all looked to be going the wrong way that I wouldn’t be totally against a total reset! With all but a few being up for sale and clearing the decks as best we could over 2/3 windows. 

Then allowing a coach either either to buy his own, or to try something a bit different and bring some younger hungrier players in. 

Players such ad Westwood, Bannan, Lees, FF, Fletch, Wallace, Boyd you’d expect to be in fairly high demand. The only players I’d try my damnest to hang on to being Hooper and Lee, with even those going if someone wanted to pay above and beyond. 

Whilst I don’t feel anyone has to go, neither do I care if they did. We could ship 10 or so players and still field a team that performs to this level and also blood Penney and a few of the kids. 

I agree that many are out of form but they don’t look fit enough to me (which may explain our frequent widespread injury issues)!

Fernando, Hutchinson and Boyd will be like new signings when they return along with Lees so I don’t think we need an overhaul! 

Add a pacy winger or two in January, and a CM ‘brick sh1thouse’ along with most importantly a new manager and you’ll see a different dynamic to the team! 

1 hour ago, 4evaowl said:

Like the bit i've highlighted mate, it shows a bit of class on your part compared to the undignified personal attacks from some on here.

I do think though, the complete rebuild scenario is overplayed a bit.

Obviously all teams need to build & gradually improve the personnel, (bit of pace) but all this group need is a sense of purpose, increase the tempo across the board and go for it when the opportunity presents itself.. 

Yesterday was just crying out for us to go for the throat once we'd gone in front but we played 'safe' and if anything reduced the tempo rather than go hell for leather for a second goal.

You can't do it all the time as United's recent results show, but when the opportunity arises you have to take it. We didn't and as soon as it became clear we weren't going to 'go for it', the writing was on the wall.  

We need almost a complete set really, as we are being found out for pace in all areas of the pitch given the showing at Norwich.

RB and LB both with pace like the lad Pinto for Norwich.

A decent CB to go alongside Lees (the two Flying Dutchmen aren’t...Flying that is)

A strong CM to win the ball and get us driving forward ( Hutch too much of a liability with injury and suspensions).

A bleedin’ winger with pace that can beat a man and cross from any where along the by-line.

Rocket science this is not, and it’s all been said before, if not by me then by plenty more on here. The Portuguese mob are really over thinking everything at the moment what they don’t seem to realise is that man for man we have more ability at our disposal than most others in this division.:ph34r:

1 minute ago, sternlad said:

We need almost a complete set really, as we are being found out for pace in all areas of the pitch given the showing at Norwich.

Honestly, we don't. With a match fit and well drilled team that are organised and motivated then the current squad is good enough to compete in this league. It really is.

4 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

Sorry, you lost me when you suggested Hooper and Hutchinson's best days are behind them, at 28 and 29. Baring in mind at 21 Hutchinson had retired and came back since then. He's always battled injury theres nothing to suggest its too much for him yet.

Hooper has probably been our player of the season (or at least in the top 2) at the big old age of 29.

Don't doubt we need replacements, but Fletcher is also only 31 ffs, you've got Glenn Murray doing well in the Premiership at 34. 

Westwood could have a good 3+ years left in him for a goalkeeper. 

Lee is only 29. 

Squad does need a freshen up, but speaking as if all our players are 35 is a bit silly. 

Said it before but the only ones I'd keep who I think have the right quality to get us out of this division are - Westwood , Hunt , Lee ,Bannan,Hooper ,Lees ,Hutchinson ,Forestieeri .

That leaves an awful lot of gaps which will necessitate a big clear out and a bigger spend .

I think this is more of a not seeing the wood for the trees issue.

We don't need wholesale changes to the playing personnel, we just need to move the ones on who are either not getting a sniff or have a coach/manager in place that will utilise the resources at his disposal more effectively.

The majority of this squad have been good enough to achieve two top six finishes in the division but it's a massive ask for any professional to achieve the same level of consistency and that's why these players are not at clubs playing in the PL.

My issue with our recruitment has been the lack of bringing players in that are going to be hungry for an opportunity at this level.

Signing players with previous PL experience is all well and good but are we carrying too many who are here because we put together a contract that keeps them in a standard of living they are accustomed to and can't achieve the same elsewhere?

A good manager can create the right balance, I just don't think CC has that ability.