We will need so many new players

18 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I said a few months back when all looked to be going the wrong way that I wouldn’t be totally against a total reset! With all but a few being up for sale and clearing the decks as best we could over 2/3 windows. 

Then allowing a coach either either to buy his own, or to try something a bit different and bring some younger hungrier players in. 

Players such ad Westwood, Bannan, Lees, FF, Fletch, Wallace, Boyd you’d expect to be in fairly high demand. The only players I’d try my damnest to hang on to being Hooper and Lee, with even those going if someone wanted to pay above and beyond. 

Whilst I don’t feel anyone has to go, neither do I care if they did. We could ship 10 or so players and still field a team that performs to this level and also blood Penney and a few of the kids. 

Who the hell is going to want to sign Wallace and fletcher , they offer nothing . Lee is knackered so nobody is going to want him either 

Edited by james o connor

7 hours ago, james o connor said:

Who the hell is going to want to sign Wallace and fletcher , they offer nothing . Lee is knackered so nobody is going to want him either 

People may not be willing to pay fees for both Fletch and Wallace but I’m fairly confident they would be snapped up by most teams that could afford there wages. 

Personally there are no players I feel have to go but similarly there are hardly any I’d be upset if they do go.  Maybe that’s just the apathy that is this season. 

23 hours ago, alan48 said:

Said it before but the only ones I'd keep who I think have the right quality to get us out of this division are - Westwood , Hunt , Lee ,Bannan,Hooper ,Lees ,Hutchinson ,Forestieeri .

That leaves an awful lot of gaps which will necessitate a big clear out and a bigger spend .

Pretty much this We’re in a heck of a mess

On 10/12/2017 at 09:14, ozzieowl said:

LB 

RB

FW (fast winger)

FW

BHCM (big hard CM)

Lots of specifics there...

I always see these posts slagging the recruitment, but never any suggestions as to who could have traditionally been recruited to fill the perceived voids.

So who are these five new first team players?

17 hours ago, darklord said:

Change the manager, tactics and mentality and I suspect most of these players have the potential for much improvement

Based on what?

We have the players we have based on trying to pick up ex PL bargains skill players, but it comes with age and injury concerns. The idea is they're good on the ball and can pass, so we're comfortable to play a possession based game and eventually break teams down in attack with a quick pass in the middle or creating space enough for the fullbacks on the bylines (we're failing miserably at the break teams down in the final third bit at the moment)

The amount of people that somehow think our 29 - 31 year old players are going to be able to somehow start scrambling all over the pitch constantly pressing up high, or chasing down through balls at speed playing smash and grab football makes me scratch my head.

We're built for patient, continental football and not much else; and we have a hard enough time staying healthy even doing that.

We don't have the players to smash and grab counter or play longball Pulis ball, we can't press like Klopp's Liverpool.  (And at the same time, we're not nearly skilled enough to be free flowing in our possession game like a team like Barca can be.)

Edited by Indoor Owl

Good enough for top two -

Westwood

Bannan

Hooper

Forestieri

Good enough for top six -

Hunt

Lee

Lees

Potential to improve -

Van Aken

Fox

Joao

Reach

Dawson

Wildsmith

Get rid -

Jones

Rhodes

Fletcher

Loovens

Palmer

Nuhiu

Matias

Boyd

Hutchinson (liability)

Wallace

Kean

Pudil

Abdi

Nope, we may need a couple of new defenders at most. An incoming manager and his staff will have to show the players how to play football again, that's all. They have the ability, I know they do, we're just not getting the best out of them and they're not learning anything

4 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Based on what?

We have the players we have based on trying to pick up ex PL bargains skill players, but it comes with age and injury concerns. The idea is they're good on the ball and can pass, so we're comfortable to play a possession based game and eventually break teams down in attack with a quick pass in the middle or creating space enough for the fullbacks on the bylines (we're failing miserably at the break teams down in the final third bit at the moment)

The amount of people that somehow think our 29 - 31 year old players are going to be able to somehow start scrambling all over the pitch constantly pressing up high, or chasing down through balls at speed playing smash and grab football makes me scratch my head.

We're built for patient, continental football and not much else; and we have a hard enough time staying healthy even doing that.

We don't have the players to smash and grab counter or play longball Pulis ball, we can't press like Klopp's Liverpool.  (And at the same time, we're not nearly skilled enough to be free flowing in our possession game like a team like Barca can be.)

Look at some of the football we played in Carlos first season, some cracking stuff and its a lot different to now. Its mainly the same players so we know they can play like that, the question is why dont they anymore?

On 10/12/2017 at 12:31, 4evaowl said:

Even if we do get a new manager, we need so many new players as there are, sadly, so many players whose best days are behind them, despite some being good servants for us - e.g. Westwood, Loovens, Hutchison, Lee, Pudil, Wallace, Hooper, Fletcher. With other consistently under performing players who either lack consistency, pace or the basic quality of effort, I can't see anyone getting this squad into a play-off position. We need a minimum of 5 or 6 first team regulars replacing to stand a chance. I don't think Carlos can turn this around now, but I don't see a new manager doing anything special with these current crop of players.

Additionally, I hope if Carlos is removed, it is done with dignity. I'd hate it for the crowd to have the opportunity to turn against him. Whatever the current circumstances, he (nor we as supporters) deserve to suffer that experience.

Completely disagree! The players aren’t the problem, the coaching and tactics aren’t right.

Worse players are doing better things at other clubs, purely through better management. 

I do feel that that we need someone who can deliver a cross with some pace, but we don’t need to lose anyone. 

8 minutes ago, Kermit Flump said:

Completely disagree! The players aren’t the problem, the coaching and tactics aren’t right.

Worse players are doing better things at other clubs, purely through better management. 

I do feel that that we need someone who can deliver a cross with some pace, but we don’t need to lose anyone. 

Only partly true mate, there aren’t many teams in this division completely devoid of pace and power Any new manager would have to address that first

Edited by gurujuan

5 hours ago, Philb125 said:

People may not be willing to pay fees for both Fletch and Wallace but I’m fairly confident they would be snapped up by most teams that could afford there wages. 

Personally there are no players I feel have to go but similarly there are hardly any I’d be upset if they do go.  Maybe that’s just the apathy that is this season. 

The thing is no on who wants them could afford their wages.

I’ve found a cracking player. Young, raw, powerful, quick, tricky, took his goal brilliantly tonight, and off the radar you would’ve thought. Exactly the type of player we should be looking at.

Reminds me of Antonio when he came to Hillsborough. Going to be a cracking player. Sada Thioub of Ligue 1 side Nimes.

We should send someone to watch him.

Think we are short in several areas of team which has been pointed out numerous times. Think imbalance of squad is causing several players to function well below best and impacts flow of football. In last game we had many players who are very left footed and this made flow of football more difficult. It is important next manager has a look at squad so one of the reasons to get them in as soon as possible. The way we are set up gives full backs heavy work load and often not much cover so any player in those positions would do very well to shine. Deep lying midfield plaers have time and space and so individual in those is more able to look a better player. Therefore have open mind on all players as tactics will not have suited many of them.