So Much For Being A Man Of His Word

1 hour ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

One of our major problems is we never pick up the second ball and I mean never.

The perfect formation is a 352 with wing backs hugging the touch line dragging players across to them making more space in the centre for our 3 man centre mid. 2 marking centre half’s with a spare man to drop off and pick up the loose ball, 3 in centre mid with either Jones or Hutch as a holding mid giving both Bannan and Lee the opportunity to move further upfield and pick up anything loose from the front two. It is infuriating that I can see this and it’s what’s needed but Carlos can’t. 442 is a dying formation.

That is literally how we play now ffs. 

7 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Have your say Under-fire head coach Carlos Carvalhal remains confident he can get Wednesday’s fans back on side this season. Some of Wednesday’s 4,700 plus travelling fans were heard chanting ‘We Want Carlos Out’ in the dying embers of Saturday’s 2-1 loss at bottom-of-the-table Bolton Wanderers. Owls head coach Carlos Carvalhal.....Pic Steve Ellis The pressure is mounting on Carvalhal following three defeats in their last four outings. The result leaves them 12th in the Championship standings, a whopping eight points adrift of the second automatic promotion berth after 12 matches. But the Portuguese head coach, who has led the Owls to back-to-back play-off finishes, is sure he can turn things around. He said: “If we can win some games in a row and come back with good performances, I’m absolutely sure the fans will follow us. “But we must do our work. We can’t lose games and expect the fans to be happy. “The fans are unhappy and they have reasons to be unhappy. I agree with them because I am unhappy.“But we are not far from the first positions. It is a very hard competition and all teams are losing points. We still believe we can achieve promotion this season.” Carvalhal insists he does not fear the sack and has vowed to address their patchy form.“I must do my work,” he said. “I do the best that I can. “We didn’t play a good game against Bolton but a few weeks ago we put in one of our best performances since I arrived at Sheffield Wednesday.“My staff and I work hard. After Leeds almost everything was perfect and good. When we lose one game, everything is wrong. “I believe there is a middle between the things. We were not so fantastic against Leeds but we were not garbage against Bolton.“We have to win points in a hard competition. I will prepare the team for Derby to try to win the game next week.“We put in a good performance against Leeds and scored three goals which made us believe we could do that more often.“But I agree with the critics who say we must be more consistent. We can’t play like we did against Leeds one week and then not play at the same level the next week. We must correct things and do better. We are missing some consistency.”Michael Gray, the ex-Owls defender turned media pundit, hopes Carvalhal is given more time to rectify their results. “I still think you’ve got to be patient with him,” said Gray on Football on 5. “A couple more wins gets them back up to where they should be and if they can get back into the play-offs, who knows? They’ve got every chance.”

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/video-under-fire-carvalhal-vows-to-win-over-sheffield-wednesday-fans-again-1-8806138

Did he not say he would walk if the fans turned against him and yet here he is telling anyone who will listen that he will turn this around and get the fans back on his side.

Man up FFS and leave with whats left of your pride.

In fairness, not all fans have turned against him. Saturday was the first time anyone chanted anything derogatory towards him.

He’ll wait to get fired....like 99% of managers do. 

"we were not garbage against Bolton"

yes were carlos, if they had a half decent striker we would have been out of sight before lee pulled a goal back

madine missed an absolute sitter which would have made it 3-0

so disappointed he hasn't been sacked yet, the whole situation is worrying.

finishing 4th and 6th  looks great on paper but in reality it means nothing , yes it's great while you are fighting for the spot but if you can't follow it up in the biggest games we had for ages( as the team couldn't be bothered to get out of bed and were not motivated,) the occasion should have got them raring to go from manager to team , it did for the fans twice, but that said those two playoff losses were abject failures whichever way you look at it ,now since then i feel many have bit their tongues and given him a fair crack to salvage the hurt the fans felt , has he stood up to the challenge well personally i don't believe he has ,People will have differing views and rightly so but this is mine ,neg away

39 minutes ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

No it isn’t. We were 442 with a midfield diamond on Saturday. Went 433 in the second half. I’ll call 352 when we have 3 recognised centre backs on the field!

Jones or Hutch hold in midfield atm. Bannan Wallce and Lee pick up the loose from the front two abd Reach And Hunt hugging the touchline. 

1 hour ago, ramone said:

Different horses for different courses I suppose. 

Frankly, i'll take this over getting walloped at Stevenage and drawing at home against a Yeovil team with 9 men. 

We're having a sticky spell. Every club has them. Unlike most teams, we're showing a manager that has given his all, that is a popular person within the dressing room and one thats done well for us a chance to turn it around. I'm so proud of that. 

The mans a victim of his own success and it makes me sick and ashamed to see some of the things written by so called supporters. Its quite frankly disgusting. 

This could be an issue indeed, the club, players, CC and DC are all victims of success based on the past 2 seasons..

Its been made clear that promotion is our aim so faltering and ambling along flatly will be met with criticism ...

might have been better not saying anything about promotion and just relaxing and going from there (bit like the first season - relax and pressures off) now the pressure is on and we are faltering, results look guff, tactics and formation look guff and the fans are restless ...

1 minute ago, Hack-Abusi said:

This could be an issue indeed, the club, players, CC and DC are all victims of success based on the past 2 seasons..

Its been made clear that promotion is our aim so faltering and ambling along flatly will be met with criticism ...

might have been better not saying anything about promotion and just relaxing and going from there (bit like the first season - relax and pressures off) now the pressure is on and we are faltering, results look guff, tactics and formation look guff and the fans are restless ...

Picture this scenario

The 2 seasons swap. So we lose in the semi year 1, lose in the final year 2. I'm certain that we wouldn't have this utterly ridiculous thirst for change. Ultimately, we're experiencing bad runs. You don't win every game. Invariably, every team, every season has a bad run. And what, you sack a manager thats done well for you cos we've lost 3 in 4... Thankfully. my meltdown meter is wired up a little higher than most. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The fans haven't turned though

Not yet

Not in any great number

Just a more vocal minority

Absolutely. The next home game be telling, but at the moment fans have not turned unless the barometer is the posters on here.

Even if you think he should be gone, the notion of getting on the moral high horse and slating the bloke for not resigning is laughable (regardless of what he said about triangles of potato or whatever). 

No manager would or will forego payment of his contract. 

The OPs hero (Megson) certainly didn’t.

Edited by SiJ

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The fans haven't turned though

Not yet

Not in any great number

Just a more vocal minority

I disagree. I don't know anyone (work mates, friends, family) that wants him to say. 

I can't believe it's Monday lunchtime and he hasn't been sacked yet!!!

I have wanted him gone since around the turn of the year (I think it was watching us get outplayed and yet somehow win against that awful Rotherham side that was the final straw), at the time when going out drinking with my mates I was very much in the minority.

Something I have noticed though is that as time has passed more and more fans have come round to the same way of thinking, the pathetic play-off campaign swayed some but the most noticeable thing for me is that even the most ardent supporters of Carlos who I know are now starting to "regrettably" think it's time for a change. The Sheffield derby was the final straw for many I think, not just the defeat but the manner in which we lost to a side that really shouldn't have beaten us so easily on our own patch.

This number is only going to grow, Carlos was happy with the dross served up at Birmingham and he thinks that the match officials are more to blame than himself for not picking up more points. This to me says things will not change and if we fail to get anything at Derby and then start in our usual slow fashion at home to Barnsley and they take the lead, I can see the atmosphere in Hillsborough becoming very toxic.

I take no pleasure in seeing this happen to any manager, least of all Carlos who had done well previously and is a very likeable bloke but I think Dejphon Chansiri needs to act quickly, make the change and avoid the situation getting any worse. It's not often you see a manager turn things around when the fans have turned on him.

6 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Throughout his time here, there has always been excuses for his inconsistency and underachievement.

He needs Hooper back. He needs FF back. We miss Hutch. Loovens is key. Etc, etc, etc.

Forget the excuses, he's just not a very good manager. 

Have to agree mate. He has become a one trick pony with no plan B ,and too stubborn to change tactics and formations . Everyone has sussed out how we play .and know how to snuff us out . Carlos isnt capable of surprising the opposition. We are too easy to play against. 

He refuses to sign athletic players or pacy wingers , he constantly makes us unbalanced by shoehorning three centre midfielders into 4-4-2 . 

Like another poster says.

I don't know one person who wants him to stay, not one single person.

So in my non scientific survey of the Wednesday fan base (ok, about a dozen people) 100% think he s a nice bloke, and 100% want him out.

And anyone who thinks that supporting Wednesday and supporting CC are one in the same, and if you don't support one, you don't support the other, needs to grow up.

10 hours ago, Blue and white said:

“We didn’t play a good game against Bolton but a few weeks ago we put in one of our best performances since I arrived at Sheffield Wednesday.“My staff and I work hard. After Leeds almost everything was perfect and good. When we lose one game, everything is wrong. “I believe there is a middle between the things. We were not so fantastic against Leeds but we were not garbage against Bolton.

So even one of our best performances was not so fantastic? I'm confused... :wacko:

Fans need to realise that this scenario does not excuse questioning Carlos' character.

I, and many fans, think enough is enough. This pattern of failing play has gone on for too long, and when he was given a reprieve in the summer, it was imperative we hit the ground running. Well we haven't. This must be close to our worst start now for several years, despite the expectation placed upon this squad.

It's time for Carlos to go, in my opinion, because his methods are failing and have been for a long period of time now. We've gone from been a tactically astute outfit punching above our weight, to a team lacking any cohesion, any balance and underachieving hugely. That slide needs to be arrested, and it needs to be done, whilst we still have a genuine chance of promotion. Wait another 2 or 3 weeks, and that 8 points gap to the automatic promotion places, could easily be 12-15 points, and the playoffs could be three victories away. We need to act swiftly.

However, I don't think Carlos' character or personality can be questioned. He's always conducted himself very well. Has always been the consummate professional, and respected the club and the fans. Let's not turn this into an attack on Carlos Carvahal himself. We are better than that as fans, and he deserves better than that, as a person and for the job he's done.

His time has run out...but he should still be able to walk away from this club with dignity, and he should be allowed to look back at his time here fondly, and not be remembered for a sourness towards him, at the end of his era.