Carlos Carvalhal vote - Now with an actual poll!

In or Out  

889 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carlos be fired?

• Fire Him
    • Keep Him

With a heavy heart, sack him. The fact he can't get the players up for a Derby, or worse still, didn't understand the importance has left me with a bad taste. I simply don't trust him in big games. I like him as a bloke and it's a shame if he goes as I'd love him to succeed but I think he's took us as far as he can.

Out

Taken us as far as he can and just doesn't get the team ready for big games. So many times he blames the player for individual mistakes or not being ready but he needs to take some of that responsibility as well.

Who would I replace him with? Very unlikely that he would come but I would try my best to get Pearson here. He has promotions on his CV and seems the sort of bloke who wouldn't accept his players being rolled over and having their bellies tickled.

Yesterday was a shocker, but you can't judge a manager on one game.

The problem is that Carlos tries to play a brand of football which he's not good at, with players who're not suited to it.

Carlos was fine when promotion didn't matter, and he could play his natural game. Wilder's the same this season as Carlos was 2 seasons ago. The problem is when the pressure mounts, promotion is expected, and opponents are wise to you.

Pragmatism probably is the right way to get out of this league for a non-parachute club, but we don't have the manager or players for it.

I've backed him all the way, and defended him up until now. I do think a lot of fans were very premature in calling for his sacking. But. Yesterday was a turning point for me, you simply can't play like that against them, at home, and let in 4. It's not just one game, it's another cup final. And he's blown it in every one we've been in. Not good enough.

Nice bloke.

Time for a fresh start though, and hopefully a big boot up some arses.

Edited by Internationowl
  • Thanks 1

Ridiculous poll.

You should have been in charge of elections in Ukraine.  

You should have a poll straight after a reasonable result, such as the draw away at Cardiff.  Not straight after our worst home defeat in his reign.  

Owlstalkers blow hot and cold.  

I note this poll was posted 13 hours ago, about 7pm last night.  

Can't moderators pull it?  Talk about gerrymandering.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Ridiculous poll.

You should have a poll straight after a reasonable result, such as the draw away at Cardiff.  Not straight after our worst home defeat in his reign.  

Never heard of him.

Gerry Daly was a German newspaper though.

And yes you are right. Opinion on such a major issue should be formed over time, not based on one result. However, I suppose there is always one final straw, and a 4-2 stuffing at home to United is a pretty heavy straw.

Edited by Holmowl

6 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Ridiculous poll.

Have you been listening to the 2 Mikes.

Depends who we have lined-up. I don't think Carlos will go before the end of the season but would like to give a new manager a couple of months to assess the squad before January but under the implicit assumption that our squad is serious unbalanced, our midfield has little pace and creativity and is going to take a least 2 windows to address.

If we knew in hindsight we were going to end up with Pardew, McClaren or Lambert then I'm sure this this poll would be much more even. Karanka would be just more of the same.

Dean Smith and Jokanovic aren't having great seasons but they are the kind of appointment I hope we would make. Preferably somebody attacking-minded with a ruthless streak who has a record of bringing through youth players like Heckingbottom. 

43 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Ridiculous poll.

We should have won at Cardiff.

The first time I've nailed my colours to the mast, but it's obvious that we won't get promoted with Carlos in charge. I doubt we'll even make the playoffs this season. 

Some fans seem happy enough winning more than we lose, so understandably Carlos is the man for them. But when you hear people defend him by saying we've been on a good run, despite us only winning 3 out of 10 matches this season, you realise that some of us have different levels of ambition from others.

We're going backwards. The excitement of the first season disappeared long ago. Our attacking play is boring and predictable, other than the odd 15 minute spell here and there. We have fewer points than we had at this stage last season and I've just seen us put in the worst defensive display since the Dave Jones era. 

Most noticeably, Carlos seems to have lost the backing of the fans with this latest anemic performance, and he's now in a position that very few managers come back from in my opinion.

4 points from the next 2 games may give him a stay of execution, but there is a sad feeling of inevitability about the whole situation now. As I and many others see it, we won't be promoted this season, Carlos won't be in charge this time next year, so there seems little point in delaying things much further.

It's time for a change and it needs to happen sooner rather than later, to allow the new manager time to assess what needs to be done in January. 

3 minutes ago, snaykz said:

The first time I've nailed my colours to the mast, but it's obvious that we won't get promoted with Carlos in charge. I doubt we'll even make the playoffs this season. 

Some fans seem happy enough winning more than we lose, so understandably Carlos is the man for them. But when you hear people defend him by saying we've been on a good run, despite us only winning 3 out of 10 matches this season, you realise that some of us have different levels of ambition from others.

We're going backwards. The excitement of the first season disappeared long ago. Our attacking play is boring and predictable, other than the odd 15 minute spell here and there. We have fewer points than we had at this stage last season and I've just seen us put in the worst defensive display since the Dave Jones era. 

Most noticeably, Carlos seems to have lost the backing of the fans with this latest anemic performance, and he's now in a position that very few managers come back from in my opinion.

4 points from the next 2 games may give him a stay of execution, but there is a sad feeling of inevitability about the whole situation now. As I and many others see it, we won't be promoted this season, Carlos won't be in charge this time next year, so there seems little point in delaying things much further.

It's time for a change and it needs to happen sooner rather than later, to allow the new manager time to assess what needs to be done in January. 

This. Carlos is a nice guy and I really wanted him to succeed, but you can't just pretend yesterday didn't happen nor that performances have not been good now for over a year. Ultimately, the aim is to get promotion. We will not achieve automatic this year and to have given up on this by the end of September is out of order. Our only chance is the play offs and we are going to have to get a wriggle on to get into those. As that's the case, we may as well make the change now, there is nothing to gain from delaying. And to all those saying how do we know we can do any better - do you think that shipping four in at home to the pigs for the first time in our history means we can get any worse?