Official January Transfer Rumours Thread..

On 04/01/2018 at 22:19, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Would love us to sign up the cream of the staff responsible for player recruitment at both Brentford and, to a slightly lesser extent, Barnsley. 

Young, hungry and talented players with their careers in front of them and a lot to prove, would most likely follow. 

These players would more than likely cost less than what we've been used to spending, and resale value (IF we sold) would more than likely be much, much more than what we're likely to get from a large percentage of our current squad.

Yeah, I know... but I can dream can't I?

Sounds a good idea, but they could have had a good run. Everton nicked a load of Leicester’s scouts, but they didn’t replicate the same success.

Blades linked to signing of midfielder, lee Evans, from Wolves. On loan at Wigan and pivotal in their promotion push in first half of season, he is 6 foot 1" and will cost about £750,000. He is 23. Seems to me that the Blades have a much better recruitment strategy than we have had to date, in that they are buying young energetic players for a fraction of the money we have totally wasted over the last two years. It is to be hoped Jos has a similar outlook on prospective signings to CW.  

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Blades linked to signing of midfielder, lee Evans, from Wolves. On loan at Wigan and pivotal in their promotion push in first half of season, he is 6 foot 1" and will cost about £750,000. He is 23. Seems to me that the Blades have a much better recruitment strategy than we have had to date, in that they are buying young energetic players for a fraction of the money we have totally wasted over the last two years. It is to be hoped Jos has a similar outlook on prospective signings to CW.  

Yep, he's a good signing. We could have done a lot worse. We have to start getting this recruitment lark right, We can't afford to keep getting it wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Lee Evans signs for the comedy club

42 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

The frustrating thing is, he is the sort of player at £750,000 that would outplay our central midfield of Jones (who was playing in the prem when we signed him) and Butterfield (who has loads of top campionship experience.)

55 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Really impressed with their transfer policy.

They are signing players on the up, proven at league below and desperate to prove themselves in The Championship.

Most ar at the age where they can further improve, and have resale value if they do well.

3 hours ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

Too old... we need youthful players. Not guys who are going to have dodgy knees and require hip replacements.

Mind you, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's more about us than our players' ages.

We've had too many injuries here over the years for it simply to be down to misfortune.

Clarke, along with Coutts, has been the stand-out player over the road this season, and he's no spring chicken these days.

Had he been here, he'd probably have been in leg irons all season.

Our treatment room must be akin to a field hospital.

Issue is that for too long, our transfer policy seems to have revolved around signing players that have the biggest reputation (ie that the fans have heard of), even if they are complete gash.

A few anomalies depending on the chairman at the time, along with "all our tuppence could buy us", and there you have it. A transfer policy.

I'm so frustrated that with DC and his money - finally - it felt like we would have a chance of establishing something.

No. It's been pissed away too. Scattergunned on fizz knows what. Just like before but on a much grander scale.

What would make me happy this transfer window? Preparing for a focused recruitment in the summer by clearing out the rubbish. Strangely enough, no one seems to want to sign them.

I won't hold my breath.

The Blades’ transfer policy is the kind of thing that is great if you’re winning games and doing well, but if you start to struggle questions will be asked of why players with more Championship experience weren’t signed.

As for us this January, I’d like a centre back, a winger and a central midfielder. Would make sense for all to be loans until the end of the season, whether that’s from abroad or not.

I still think this squad doesn’t need too much work doing to it to compete at the top of this division again, they just need some confidence and a manager who can play to their strengths. Let’s hope Jos can bring both.

Luhukay twice signed Bristol City midfielder Jens Hegeler in Germany. Been injured for them but tends not to be first choice anyway so perhaps Jos will check his availability. Roy Beerens another Championship player Jos previously managed. 

Unsure whether Jos will want another striker. It seems most of ours would much rather play in a striking pair whereas Jos likes to play with only 1 up front. If he doesn’t think many of ours fit the bill I’m sure he’ll look to bring in another.