The credit where it's due

I was one of the people who gave criticism of how the team were playing during a lot of the season and I always thought the actual performances would result in poor results, as they eventually did.  However, it is true to say that the return to fitness of several key players has made a significant and positive difference and now we are the form team in the top 6.

The most positive thing for me, looking forward to the play-offs is that there isn't another team that is physically stronger than Wednesday, as Hull City were last season.  Without wishing to be over-optimistic (we all know the Wednesday way, when we start being too positive about our hopes), I really do think this is now the best chance we will have of achieving promotion.  Next season, 3 more teams with massive financial advantage will come down, as well as Aston Vanilla and Norwich who will still have the parachute payments again.

So we all need to get behind the team in the two semi-final games and hopefully the final and be the "twelfth man" that gets us over the line.

1 hour ago, Purley Arms Owl said:

And please, please please, dare I say it, if - and I say if - the boys are not successful in winning the play offs, please, please please let's not have another chorus of Carlos out.

I've been highly critical of CC for much of the season but I've been 100% consistent in my view that we should take stock at the end of the season rather than press the panic button. OK, we've still got one more game to go, but win or lose we're in the play-offs and will finish with more points and in a higher position than last season. To be honest, I never expected promotion this season so if we do go up it will be a bonus.

I think CC has justified keeping his job whether we make it through the play-offs or not.

I'll be perfectly honest. After the Barnsley game when we dropped out of the play offs, I couldn't see a way back and thought that was it. All I could see were local derbies, matches against teams in good form, bogey teams, bogey managers and I just couldn't see where the points were going to come from. Every time this season we've had the chance to go higher than 6th, we've blown it. Now after an incredible run, which I think very few people saw coming and which hopefully continues, we are in 4th place with 6 wins on the bounce. Huge congrats to Carlos and the team for keeping it going as Fulham kept the pressure on. Now not only have we seen them off but we've also overtaken the two Yorkshire teams that have been having a laugh at our expense all season. I'm now really looking forward to next Sunday and just enjoying the match without worrying too much about the outcome. 

2 hours ago, poite said:

I've been critical of Carlos when we went on that dismal run of 1 win in 7. I won't apologise for that as I believe it was deserved. 

So with that in mind it's right to turn the table and give the credit and praise for what an incredible job the man (and team obviously) have done over the past few weeks. 

Outstanding work Carlos.  Fantastic work. Now let's go a step further than last year!

WAWAW

UTO

yes - walking back to the train station after the Barnsley game, I would have laughed at anyone suggesting we'd win the next six games.

Football is really the best game in the world - never fails to confound.

We have improved this season we will finish 5th or better in a harder league 

The money we have spent for a 1or2 place improvement just shows how tough the money in the division is making it and its only going to get worse 

Something i think our neighbours haven't gotten their melons round yet 

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Great OP, and one that summarises my own views.

Our form for a period raised valid questions and I don't think it's particularly constructive to rake people over the coals for airing concerns at that time. The turnaround though has been absolutely superb. Carlos and the team have absolutely stepped up and delivered when they had to.

My own personal view is that we aren't THAT much different than we were after that run, in terms of Carlos' remit. I still think he may need to finish the job to keep his for next season. But he's done everything to try and achieve that and he will get the absolute backing of everybody over the next 3 (hopefully 4) games of the season. 

That's really good of you.

Not concerned about the teams coming down at all. flipping Sunderland? They have a rude awakening coming. Boro and Hull are no better than they were a year ago and we are.

But we can and should go up from here.

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

This will be the sixth season a row where we've improved on our position the previous season. Obviously, that won't be any comfort if we don't go up, but well done to Carlos and everyone at the club. 

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

The money we have spent for a 1or2 place improvement just shows how tough the money in the division is making it and its only going to get worse 

Something i think our neighbours haven't gotten their melons round yet 

Here come the negs lol - it really isn't a harder league this year and I'm not sure how anyone could seriously suggest such a thing. Who would have predicted teams like Norwich and Villa under-achieving so badly? You just have to look at our PO opposites to realise this season presentsan amazing opportunity to get where we belong. With the wonga we have spent we are (probably) where we should be but it actually has been made to look better by the terrible run before the last 6 matches. If the division was as hard as the deluded claim, that terrible 7 match run would have seen us skirting with mid table.

Edited by Almat

26 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Blah blah blah .... it doesn't matter what has been said and done ... we are in the play offs that's all that matters . Balls to point scoring I can't wait to march to Wembley , surely everybody feels the same ? 

Would have done if Cc had got the push like you lot all advocated, but yeah, fair do's, let's look forward and get behind them as one and rip apart whoever crosses our paths in the next few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Almat said:

Here come the negs lol - it really isn't a harder league this year and I'm not sure how anyone could seriously suggest such a thing. Who would have predicted teams like Norwich and Villa under-achieving so badly? You just have to look at our PO opposites to realise this season presentsan amazing opportunity to get where we belong. With the wonga we have spent we are (probably) where we should be but it actually has been made to look better by the terrible run before the last 6 matches. If the division was as hard as the deluded claim, that terrible 7 match run would have seen us skirting with mid table.

lol

Cheer up we're in the play offs.