Carlos Carvalhal Appointed Head Coach - OFFICIAL

Any manager is a gamble. The only real factor in success is how good your players are and how well those players play vs their capabilities, compared to the teams you play against.

If we have the best players in the league, playing to their full potential, we'll win the league.

Roeder and co have to deliver the first part of that

Carvalhal and his team the second part.

In this respect the management system makes complete sense.

Good luck Carlos.

There's far too much common sense in that post

Don't forget that the Head Coach's job is not to make the players fit. He has underlings and the players themselves to see to this. His job is to plan overall tactics.

and get the players playing to a system he wants. As for not signing English players, remember the transfer window has only just opened TODAY. The delaying in he announcement tells me that this style of Management is to plaay cards close to chest, and only make them when deals are done.

As for Nigel Pearson, along with many other Managers & coaches who get the . usually agood reason

WIG -

Perhaps he was there to get the framework and system in place - put the wheels in motion until the club takes ownership of the project and can fly on its own.

I was with my driving instructor for 14 weeks and never saw him again once I had passed but I have a skill that I needed & will all my life.

He's a hired gun to clear the decks and change direction - he doesn't need to hold a clubs hand forever once he has passed on his expertise.

Appreciate the well thought out and argued reply and very valid points.

I did smile at 'randomly picked' - of course I don't think this, but then again I really don't care for the people who are advising him either. To me it looks like the clueless leading the blind.

My maiin issue with this appointment is his past recored. Personally, I don't care about what country he is from and that he hasn't managed in England before. It's good that he has won the Portuguese Super cup and 2 runners up spots (the most recent being 8 years ago) but what worries me is the amount of times he has been sacked / left jobs:

1998–2000 Espinho

2000 Freamunde

2000–2001 Aves

2001–2003 Leixões

2003–2004 Vitória Setúbal

2004–2005 Belenenses

2006 Braga

2006–2007 Beira-Mar

2007–2008 Vitória Setúbal

2008 Asteras Tripoli

2009 Marítimo

2009–2010 Sporting CP

2011–2012 Beşiktaş

2012 Ä°stanbul BB

2015-present Sheffield Wednesday

It's hardy a CV to inspire me - Granted there are some fairly good names in that CV, but hardly any of them have lasted longer than a year, some only a few months. This doesn't shout out stability and loyalty to me. If his ideas and coaching styles are of the right calibre then why has he been out of work since 2012?

I'm not saying that he won't do well, I really hope he does, but if I was looking at a CV like that, then I wouldn't have even interviewed him.

We shall see in the coming months if it's me being the short sighted one. If so, I'll be happy to hold up my hands and admit that it's a good job that I've got nothing to do with running a football club.

Think someone's already said though that European football is like that. Manager get sacked at the drop of a hat, it's worse than the English game. Apart from Sporting and Besiktas he's been at small European teams who have a high turnover of managers, probably due to being so desperate to make some sort of breakthrough...but with little money. It's not like the English game where small clubs tend to feel some sort of sentiment toward their manager. It's not like where fans give the gaffer the benefit of the doubt because he's got buttons to work with. It's harsh. I think the fact that he's been hired by so many teams in a small space of time shows how ridiculous it is in Europe in terms of hiring and firing. 

CC's list of teams is very very long compared to most managers though, so I'll agree it's still a concern..though a slight one. But I'm not going to hold his past against him. We're a big team, there will have been plenty of managers who would have wanted to manage us. That I'm sure of. CC has been deemed the best man for the job. He plays attacking football which is something we've been after for years. In the mean time we've acquired more ammo at the back, whilst keeping the players who did a job in equaling our clean sheet record. I can only see this as a major positive. 

Let's see who CC can bring in, he's certainly a man with loads of contacts in the game. Let's see what brand of football he can bring to this club.

Like I said though. Regardless of CV's, past failures/success stories etc etc....every manager is a risk....nothing is certain in football....

Well as a positive he won't have this "scared to play at home" negative rubbish that we have had to endure under both jones and Gray.

They had to do that because of tue players at their disposal. Make no mistake, if CC isn't properly backed then he will resort to the same tactics.

Where did you get that from?

Yes it's the Daily Mail but it's an actual quote right lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3145636/Mark-Cooper-rejects-chance-charge-Sheffield-Wednesday-despite-flattered-approach.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

It was only tongue in cheek my msg above though, it's purely a language barrier thing and he means since his own childhood etc, well I hope so haha

Got 3 hours sleep last night but for some strange reason i woke up feeling quite excited about the appointment of CC. Now this could be from the lack of sleep but i think it could be excitement about the unknown, scary at the same time though. Lets hope he/the club are backed by DC with some decent money to bring some quality players in.

Edited by WalthamOwl

Got 3 hours sleep last night but for some strange reason i woke up feeling quite excited about the appointment of CC. Now this could be from the lack of sleep but i think it could be excitement about the unknown, scary at the same time though. Lets hope he/the club are backed by DC with some decent money to bring some quality players in.

Feeling the same, It's amazing how there's some negativity about CC. For 15 years+ we've endured dull football under dour British managers and now we have an enigmatic coach who's team's play attacking and entertaining football. Personally I'm excited about the possibility of watching Wednesday and not being bored to tears.

There's been some rumours that we're going to be signing some exciting players so now we just need to wait and see

Its the 15+ years of apprehension, heartache and utter dross, punctuated by fleeting glimpses of hope that has made us as a fan base, negative, wary and cynical. It will take a long time to overcome this in some peoples cases. Maybe me included.

BUT

We have never witnessed a shift like this in our entire history, what has happened and has the potential to happen at our club is monumental, yes potentially fraught with danger but also could bring success and riches we have never seen before.

It is certainly not going to be dull and lets face it this time last year we all craved this.

EMBRACE THE CHANGE :manager: