Carlos Carvalhal Appointed Head Coach - OFFICIAL

Not sure kicking ass at this stage is what we need think the majority felt SG did well with what he had to work with but the negative football was virtually unbearable as a fanbase a proven manager was what we wanted someone with pulling power who was going to cost in wages.

I would think everyone wants this to succeed however most people are rightly sceptical that it will especially if we don't bring some experienced championship footballers in to build on effectively our back three of Lees,Loovens n Westwood

The kick ass reference was directly aimed at the new management structure, not the old. Gray is in the past now, we can't change that and many people harping on without knowing the full facts are wasting energy

I understand the sceptism and it is natural, to feel that way, the challenge for CC is huge, he knows his remit and I don't doubt he will give it his best shot. His will have fresh ideas and methods that are going to initially inject a high level of optimism within the evolving squad, his hardest challenge will be maintaining this.

Loovens and Lees are great examples of under performing players kicking on after joining us, there are only so many experienced champ players available and less so who would be classed as realistically affordable. We are casting the net, surely this is good, surely it improves our chances if they are researched and scouted correctly.

Time to chill and let the people within the club throw all their weight into what is going to be a unique and most certainly interesting season for us all.

Going on his previous record I'm totally undewhelmed. I would say this puts us in-line to be the first club to change their manager this season.

DC did say he was going to change things and he certainly has. He also said he knows nothing about football and that's painfully obvious too.

Hope I'm completely wrong and we run away with the league; right.

I can understand being underwhelmed. That's if you were expecting someone with a CV like Allardyce/Redknapp etc

I can't understand how you can say he'll be the first manager change of the season? You can't predict that.

He could be awful, he could be a master stroke. The same as any manager regardless of previous experience.

You could say that his lack of experience in England/this league is a disadvantage, you could also say it's an advantage. He's going to see everything for the first time and be able to make a clear judgement. Judging our players/opposition on how they play right now rather than their reputation. 

DC knows nothing about football, sure. But do you really believe that he has been given a list of potential managers...closed his eyes and picked randomly? Do you think he's done eenie meenie miney mo between Allardyce, Megson and Carvalhal? I can assure you this will be a calculated appointment, DC will have had help in appointing the right man from many many people.

If people truly think that this is a random appointment and that he'll be crap because he ''doesn't know the English game'' (which is bullshit) and has little experience then you're absolutely nuts.

He might not work out. But this isn't some random guy off the street coaching us. He's a professional manager & English football is probably the most watched football on TV. All his lacks is experience of this league, but that's not a big deal at all. Norwich and Watford went up with managers with zero championship experience. 

This is our first foreign manager. Let's embrace the change, welcome the guy & see what he can do. If he's poo poo then changes will be made. DC doesn't strike me as a fool.

Edited by FlyingOwl

Should be positive about this but unless something changes in the next couple of weeks, I feel more apprehensive about next season than I did about last. And my version of success for the past few years has been that if we stay up we've done well.

I'm sick of reading the "we hope they adapt to the English game" cobblers, let the others adapt to the Wednesday game,

How many of the teams these players and coaches are coming from would get battered by us last year?

Or have i missed the fact that the English championship is the top league in Europe

Good luck to Carvalhal and his team, and I trust they'll get the resources to do their best in getting us to the Premiership.

If the managerial appointment doesn't work out, Chansiri will have to dip into his vast funds and correct his decision, so I'm not concerning myself with any potential failure. The days are gone when we've had to stick with a manager who can't buy a win simply because we can't afford to sack him.

I'm sick of reading the "we hope they adapt to the English game" cobblers, let the others adapt to the Wednesday game,

How many of the teams these players and coaches are coming from would get battered by us last year?

Or have i missed the fact that the English championship is the top league in Europe

In answer to your question, I suspect none/very few of those teams would get battered by us.

Also, please define the 'Wednesday game' for me as I don't want to end up like one of them cockerney 'ammers thank you.

Guest _Ibbo_

Well as a positive he won't have this "scared to play at home" negative rubbish that we have had to endure under both jones and Gray. 

I can understand being underwhelmed. That's if you were expecting someone with a CV like Allardyce/Redknapp etc

I can't understand how you can say he'll be the first manager change of the season? You can't predict that.

He could be awful, he could be a master stroke. The same as any manager regardless of previous experience.

You could say that his lack of experience in England/this league is a disadvantage, you could also say it's an advantage. He's going to see everything for the first time and be able to make a clear judgement. Judging our players/opposition on how they play right now rather than their reputation. 

DC knows nothing about football, sure. But do you really believe that he has been given a list of potential managers...closed his eyes and picked randomly? Do you think he's done eenie meenie miney mo between Allardyce, Megson and Carvalhal? I can assure you this will be a calculated appointment, DC will have had help in appointing the right man from many many people.

If people truly think that this is a random appointment and that he'll be crap because he ''doesn't know the English game'' (which is bullshit) and has little experience then you're absolutely nuts.

He might not work out. But this isn't some random guy off the street coaching us. He's a professional manager & English football is probably the most watched football on TV. All his lacks is experience of this league, but that's not a big deal at all. Norwich and Watford went up with managers with zero championship experience. 

This is our first foreign manager. Let's embrace the change, welcome the guy & see what he can do. If he's poo poo then changes will be made. DC doesn't strike me as a fool.

Appreciate the well thought out and argued reply and very valid points.

I did smile at 'randomly picked' - of course I don't think this, but then again I really don't care for the people who are advising him either. To me it looks like the clueless leading the blind.

My maiin issue with this appointment is his past recored. Personally, I don't care about what country he is from and that he hasn't managed in England before. It's good that he has won the Portuguese Super cup and 2 runners up spots (the most recent being 8 years ago) but what worries me is the amount of times he has been sacked / left jobs:

1998–2000 Espinho

2000 Freamunde

2000–2001 Aves

2001–2003 Leixões

2003–2004 Vitória Setúbal

2004–2005 Belenenses

2006 Braga

2006–2007 Beira-Mar

2007–2008 Vitória Setúbal

2008 Asteras Tripoli

2009 Marítimo

2009–2010 Sporting CP

2011–2012 Beşiktaş

2012 Ä°stanbul BB

2015-present Sheffield Wednesday

It's hardy a CV to inspire me - Granted there are some fairly good names in that CV, but hardly any of them have lasted longer than a year, some only a few months. This doesn't shout out stability and loyalty to me. If his ideas and coaching styles are of the right calibre then why has he been out of work since 2012?

I'm not saying that he won't do well, I really hope he does, but if I was looking at a CV like that, then I wouldn't have even interviewed him.

We shall see in the coming months if it's me being the short sighted one. If so, I'll be happy to hold up my hands and admit that it's a good job that I've got nothing to do with running a football club.

“I have coached big teams in Europe like Sporting and Besiktas and played in the Europa League but my child’s dream has always been to coach in England".

His child pushed him to come to Wednesday just as Att Chansiri did lol

So we are going to be run by 2 lads while their dads pretend to be front men? should be one hell of a ride  :biggrin:

“I have coached big teams in Europe like Sporting and Besiktas and played in the Europa League but my child’s dream has always been to coach in England".

His child pushed him to come to Wednesday just as Att Chansiri did lol

Where did you get that from? 

onward and upward  new start for all ,what the outcome will be no one knows . carlos will get my support unless it becomes carcrash ,good luck to the fella and lets do the business and play football ,

Appreciate the well thought out and argued reply and very valid points.

I did smile at 'randomly picked' - of course I don't think this, but then again I really don't care for the people who are advising him either. To me it looks like the clueless leading the blind.

My maiin issue with this appointment is his past recored. Personally, I don't care about what country he is from and that he hasn't managed in England before. It's good that he has won the Portuguese Super cup and 2 runners up spots (the most recent being 8 years ago) but what worries me is the amount of times he has been sacked / left jobs:

1998–2000 Espinho

2000 Freamunde

2000–2001 Aves

2001–2003 Leixões

2003–2004 Vitória Setúbal

2004–2005 Belenenses

2006 Braga

2006–2007 Beira-Mar

2007–2008 Vitória Setúbal

2008 Asteras Tripoli

2009 Marítimo

2009–2010 Sporting CP

2011–2012 Beşiktaş

2012 Ä°stanbul BB

2015-present Sheffield Wednesday

It's hardy a CV to inspire me - Granted there are some fairly good names in that CV, but hardly any of them have lasted longer than a year, some only a few months. This doesn't shout out stability and loyalty to me. If his ideas and coaching styles are of the right calibre then why has he been out of work since 2012?

I'm not saying that he won't do well, I really hope he does, but if I was looking at a CV like that, then I wouldn't have even interviewed him.

We shall see in the coming months if it's me being the short sighted one. If so, I'll be happy to hold up my hands and admit that it's a good job that I've got nothing to do with running a football club.

He managed the Istanbul bed and Breakfast XI in 2012 ????

Any manager is a gamble.  The only real factor in success is how good your players are and how well those players play vs their capabilities, compared to the teams you play against. 

If we have the best players in the league, playing to their full potential, we'll win the league.

Roeder and co have to deliver the first part of that

Carvalhal and his team the second part.

In this respect the management system makes complete sense. 

Good luck Carlos.