Carvalhal - YES or NO

Leeds spent a fair whack on foreign players too and a season later they are seemingly going back to the buy from England approach again.

I know what you mean yunga as it is his approach, I'm just annoyed that someone has convinced him that this is the only way to go. It isn't and it's the riskier.

Whilst it is very different for swfc, one thing remains the same. It's the cheaper option on the transfer front, getting better value abroad and hoping it works out.

Totally agree.

You do have to wonder who's advising him? Roeder, Aldridge or someone else? It seems a total gamble, when surely we need to be looking for manager's with proven track records at this stage. 

I've seen quite a few posts over the last couple of days saying this appointment will say a lot about what to expect from DC in terms of transfer targets and sadly I think we'll be gambling here as well, in the cheapo European market, and look how well that worked out earlier this year...

Its a no from me.

No experience of English Footy - tough place to learn

Average record in management

Lots of clubs

Rusty.

What I don't understand Is why we are taking the gamble? Just seems unnecessary but as I have said before, perhaps he fits the system

It's a no for me though overall

Ive said this to a couple of mate that a year ago or at least when Jones went we would of been wetting ourselves at the prospect of a manager who had managed at Europa League level at so (all be it in their own country's) top clubs.

Shows how far we have come or how much our expectations have.

If Biggs is correct, then I'll put my vote down as a big NO.

more of a worry is that DC was coming across as a man of action and decisiveness. If he really wants to see how fans react before making an appointment, well he's soon lost those qualities when it comes to one of the biggest jobs he has to do.

If DC wanted to consult fans before making decisions, he should have looked at Gray's popularity before sacking him

It's a no from me. This appointment is a gamble given his record and lack of experience over here. If we have money to spend and with the coaches available we don't need to gamble. DC has the chance to make a sensible and popular decision, that should be easy for him.

Wouldn't be my obvious choice, mainly because I know nothing about him. I would have gone for big Sam, jokanovic or warburton personally. But, I'm not going to ridicule this guy and tweet him abuse (a) because that's pathetic and (b) we should give him a chance before judging him.

Agree 100%. In response to the OP though, my answer would have to be NO.

This is definitely not the direction I want our club to go. A journeyman European coach whose CV suggests he has no track record whatsoever of building a team, as he never stays at a club for longer than a season or so, is not what we need at this point in time.

I don't think sacking Gray was the right decision, but if we appoint a demonstrably better manager/coach with a track record of promotion to a higher level than the Championship, then I could accept it was ultimately for the best. But who knows what we'd get with Carvalhal? He could be a revelation, but he could be atrocious. He'd represent a real leap into the unknown, risking everything good that Gray has built at our club, and I for one would prefer a safer bet in order to justify the sacking of Gray.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Is he going to be good - Nobody knows

Is he going to be bad - Nobody knows

Slating him before he has.....

...Lets just give him (whoever it is) a nice warm welcome and see if it turns out for the best, because we have no influence on it whatsoever, apart from making the next manager so afraid he is scared to try anything that might just work....

Great post. No chance of it happening from the moaning fookers who are already sharpening their knives, but I like the sentiment.

Last year I saw some of the worst football I've ever seen in 30 years watching Wednesday, granted SG had few resources but so many games with barely a shot on target etc, painful to watch.

This can't be my worse than that.

Allerdyce was never coming, I read somewhere yesterday that he was the 7th highest paid manager IN THE WORLD LAST SEASON, WTF!? His teams have generally been dire to watch over the years.

I would rather pay to watch some decent football than pay more for Big Sam to hoof us into the Prem tbh.

This could be a sexy football appointment which is exciting. If it doesn't work then so what, get someone else in a year as we have been doing for ever.

But if it does work.....its an absolute yes from me in the hope of a break from the sad dire norm that we've had on that pitch for so long now.

Whoever comes in will be coming in as Head Coach not Manager in the traditional English model. He will be expected to set up a training and coaching regime to get the best out of all the clubs players and have them playing to the best of their abilities. The hiring of new players will not be his sole responsibility but hopefully his name will attract a good enough standard of player.

If he does not work out and is judged to be at fault, he will be replaced by another out of work coach. If it is judged not to be his fault then he will still probably be the scapegoat.

Guest totemowl

So Biggs thinks the club are holding out to see what the public opinion is on a coach that the public know nothing about.

There's some right tomwittery going on...

It could be a master stroke or it could be a disaster.

I don't know enough about him to make a prediction either way. All I know is that plenty of managers come into English clubs now without much of a CV and flourish (Jokanovic, Warburton etc)

Would i want someone who I'd be more convinced about getting us up ie: Big Sam? Of course. 

But I'm not going to tweet the guy abuse and burn my season ticket if we appoint him, christ. Let's see what he can do. He could surprise us all.

The only thing we do know about him is that he's an attacking minded coach with poo poo loads of contacts. I like that.

Edited by FlyingOwl