Carvalhal - YES or NO

No, not because he's foreign or I haven't heard of him. Because he's achieved nothing in 12 years at 14 clubs, apart from getting sacked.

I would have been very open to a foreign coach, Petrescu would have been a much better option. Knows the club and he's managed in the Champions League & won titles.

Big NO from me. Who on earth is advising the chairman, don't understand the logic at all.

The Portuguese has not been in charge of a club since 2012 when he left Istanbul BB after six months in charge, though he has continued to coach and wrote a book on coaching.

Carvalhal has been boss of 14 clubs in a 14 year spell, mainly employed in Portugal with a mixed record.

I just don't get this 'try it because we've got nothing to lose' nonsense.

Of course we have....I don't think the owner has a bottomless pit of money so what if we sign a load of poor players on 2/3 year contracts that we can't get rid of?

What if we are in a relegation battle or (God forbid) end up getting relegated?

It's too big of a risk to take in my opinion.

We've got plenty to lose. Have people forgotten so soon that we nearly ceased to exist as a football club a few short years ago.

Or, you know, not sacking the perfectly adequate manager you already have in the first place...

Woooohoooo 'adequate'

It doesn't stop the door revolving if they are foreign

You're not wrong but at least it's a different bloody door Edited by Random Task

I'd take adequate over'who the roger knows but the signs are bad' any day of the week...

You might be right to. All I'm trying to say is that we're judging Carvalhal against criteria that have failed us for the last 20 years.

Maybe having someone come in with a strong philosophy, which isn't restricted just to the pitch but stretches to every area of a football club is exactly what we need right now. I can see the appeal of this to a new owner, he wants an attractive brand of football to be created - none of the available, traditional managers really provide that.

Or, you know, not sacking the perfectly adequate manager you already have in the first place...

How many threads did we have saying Gray out, Grays lost it, Gray isn't strong enough blah blah. Seems they were just as unprofound and reactionary as the current talking points. 

I'm not saying Gray was bad but he wasn't the guy for the new structure.

Guest thetruthisoutthere

It's a yes from me, this guy may not be a big name but he has got a poo poo load more to brag about on his CV than Stuart Gray did, I like Gray but was a little disappointed at his defensive set up which I thought shackled us many times

To be fair I don't think there is a great deal out there to chose from at the moment

We missed the boat with Adkins I'm gutted that lot got him, I would have loved that guy

No.............the guy will know nothing of our squad , and maybe more importantly nothing about any other championship squad and what is needed player wise to be successful in this league.

His track record screams journeyman , and I don't see the point of spending all this money on other aspects of the club , and then making such a random left field appointment like this in the most important position of all.

If he gets the job I hope he proves me and all the doubters wrong , but I can't help but think that come October he will be gone and we will a start the whole laborious process again.

There's another Portuguese middle aged manager in English league who were crap till he went to a specific team & they're mates

Crap before he went to Chelsea? Don't think so, wasn't he successful and highly rated at Porto?

Guest Ellis Rimmer

In 32 years supporting us I've never ever been so disgusted in a managerial appointment.

Just go look at his CV hops from mediocre club to mediocre club (even at Sporting and Besiktas). Can't even last a season at most of them and was just about to join yet another nothing Portuguese team.

I fear some people, maybe loads, are ripping the eyes out of our new owner. I refuse to believe people aren't having their pockets lined with this appointment it just makes no one iota of sense

But it has probably helped me with my expectation of next season which is to ride out that disastrous appointment and hope DC learns from it.

Forget the play offs now for me

How can you say that. Gray has nothing on this guy.