Chansiri - The Beginning of the End

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

That's a good point, and one I was about to raise. What power will the regulator have, will they be able to stop chansiri owning the club, and if so what then, if a) no buyer comes forward or b) no buyer will make an offer he agrees to accept?

The authorities in the country ( be it footballing or governmental)don't have a good record of improving things, in fact new rules usually result in chaos

Does any other regulator have the power to force you to sell a business? 

• Thanks 1

I don't find the old "gift for his son" too difficult to believe. Att loves football and maybe wanted to own a Premier League club. A lot of how the club is ran reminds me of how I wanted the club to be when I was young; buy the big name players based on their hype, keep the good ones and never sell, money and management is meaningless, all that matters is having the best players. It's all very naiive, but I know I wouldn't want to pour all this money down the bottomless well only to crush my son's dreams.

• Like 1

I may be way off the mark but it appears that a single owner like Chansiri, has a club by the short and curlies.—-Do as I say or I will pull the plug and go bust

Are there ways we could prevent this hypothetical scenario.taking place?

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not that I am aware of, which is the point really. So what power will they have to deal with bad owners?

Looking at the reporting, it appears they intend to beef up the fit and proper test for new owners, which doesn't help us or Reading.

If they have the power to disbar an existing owner, what then ( which comes back to my original question).

If it's financial sanctions the club / fans will suffer, so doesn't really help.

I'm at a loss as to what a regulator will be able to do that would effectively help clubs like us 

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Nero said:

Existing owners will have to meet financial guidelines and engage properly with fans.

He won't be able to continue like he has.

He hasn't got the wits to change.

He will either have to sell or lose his licence.

He’ll get round it, he has “friends”.:Chansiri:

• Haha 2

I wouldn't be calling time on Chansiri ownership just yet.
These things take ages to go through Parliament and be an election soon which will delay it more.

Sure they will legal challenges etc by some club owners saying its they money and can run it how they want.

• Thanks 1

I'd have thought this would only be useful for new owners of clubs (replacing the fit and proper test).

Cant see how an independent body can force an individual or company to sell their assets.

The sad thing now is that the best signing a club can make is an accountant, not a star striker

38 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

You never know, it might make it that much of a pain in the ar$e to own us, he might just cut his losses and leave.

Heres to hoping!!

I think that's probably the most likely impact of any regulator, rather than any direct action in a reasonable timeframe.

Surely the penny has to drop with Chansiri one day that he isnt wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spookone said:

Still not sure if/how they could “force” a club owner to leave a club he owns, but it may make it uncomfortable for someone like DC to own a club.

Different circumstances but Ambromovich was forced to sell Chelsea.

If only it was the beginning of the end.

We the fans have to keep the pressure on DC to sell up but given how stubborn he is it will

be a  long fight. We have to keep on protesting it's the only way .

• Like 1

I think people are placing too much faith in this regulator:

a) doubt we will see one any time soon, no way does this make it through parliamentary process before an election.

b) I suspect that if and when it does their powers will be much watered down from the headlines currently banded about.

• Like 2

All well meaning stuff isn’t it but what powers will this independent regulator really have?

If the new regulator tries to sanction Chansiri in some way you just know what his reaction is likely to be. He’ll threaten to pull the plug and stop funding the club. He’s done it before and doesn’t like being told what to do. He will then blame the regulator and fans for forcing the club into receivership.

Not sure this independent regulator idea has really be thought through.

10 minutes ago, Blatter said:

All well meaning stuff isn’t it but what powers will this independent regulator really have?

If the new regulator tries to sanction Chansiri in some way you just know what his reaction is likely to be. He’ll threaten to pull the plug and stop funding the club. He’s done it before and doesn’t like being told what to do. He will then blame the regulator and fans for forcing the club into receivership.

Not sure this independent regulator idea has really be thought through.

He's only putting the bare minimum anyway...

• Thanks 1

Chansiri is not a fit and proper person to own a major football club like Sheffield Wednesday.

But how did we or the regulator know this before hand?

Didn't have any track recored of incompetence as never owned a football club before and as far as I am aware never been accused of being involved in anything shady.

7 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I posted this before mate and got shouted down….the thing is, who sets the price for the club, the terms and timescales for sale?

What if there isn’t a buyer?

What if Chancer say “OK I will sell……£300m”? 

Its nonsense.

I’m not sure if the the link will work but you can search ‘Rick Parry on Talk Sport’ to listen to an interview where Parry says that company law dictates they can’t force a sale or seize a business. The key point is from about 12 minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/talkSPORT/videos/efl-chairman-rick-parry-faces-simon-jordan-over-tv-money-premier-league-regulati/912273073629945/ 

• Thanks 1