Chansiri - The Beginning of the End

10 hours ago, Luke said:

Dc you need to sell the club asap

Dc:no

Ok thanks for your time

Regulator: Sorry pal but if you don't we're going to put in trustees to run the club and sell it 

10 hours ago, Luke said:

“The other thing that the regulator is going to do is not just do one-off tests, but to actually do the tests periodically to make sure that people are still fit and proper, and to make sure that they’re honouring their commitments and putting in the funding they promised to put in. And if they don’t then they’ll have the ability to tell them to divest and put in trustees to run the club in the meantime. So they will definitely have powers throughout the process that we don’t currently have." Rick Parry, Chairman of the EFL

Edited by HarrowbyOwl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

Not that I am aware of, which is the point really. So what power will they have to deal with bad owners?

Looking at the reporting, it appears they intend to beef up the fit and proper test for new owners, which doesn't help us or Reading.

If they have the power to disbar an existing owner, what then ( which comes back to my original question).

If it's financial sanctions the club / fans will suffer, so doesn't really help.

I'm at a loss as to what a regulator will be able to do that would effectively help clubs like us 

Its all in the bill mate

Clause 39: Removal directions: owners
Subsections (1) and (2) specify that where the IFR has determined or is treated as having determined that an owner (P) of a regulated club is not suitable to be an owner, the IFR must give P a removal direction requiring them to take all reasonable steps to cease to be an owner before the end of ‘the removal period’.

Clause 41: Directions relating to unsuitable owners and officers
Subsection (2) specifies that the IFR may i) give the unsuitable owner or officer a direction prohibiting them (fully or partly) from carrying out specified activities or exercising specified rights as an owner or officer and/or ii) give the club a direction requiring it to ensure that the unsuitable owner or officer does not carry out or exercise (fully or partly) specified activities or rights.

Clause 43: Ownership removal orders
Subsection (3) sets out a non-exhaustive list of what provision an ownership removal order may include, such as provision which allows for:
a. the appointment of trustees;
b. the conferment of functions on those trustees (which may allow for trustees to action on behalf of P or any other person);
c. P or any other person to be required to take certain action, including in response to directions from appointed trustees.

The bill: 

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-04/0187/230187.pdf

Explantory Notes: 

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-04/0187/en/230187en.pdf

Hardly bedtime reading but if people actually read the stuff it would make for a better informed debate 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Sod all will get done

Just more free lunches and VIP box days for ex MPs and their chums. 

With respect that's a very ignorant and ill informed comment

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

“The other thing that the regulator is going to do is not just do one-off tests, but to actually do the tests periodically to make sure that people are still fit and proper, and to make sure that they’re honouring their commitments and putting in the funding they promised to put in. And if they don’t then they’ll have the ability to tell them to divest and put in trustees to run the club in the meantime. So they will definitely have powers throughout the process that we don’t currently have." Rick Parry, Chairman of the EFL

Where does the funding come from to run the club in the meantime. Is there an emergency fund or do trustees go on to sell players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Where does the funding come from to run the club in the meantime. Is there an emergency fund or do trustees go on to sell players.

One of the other clauses of the bill involves owners depositing enough money into a reserve buffer to cover running costs of the club for a period.

That is to stop owners simply turning off the tap (as Mr C threatened) and leaving the club in the lurch.

Presumably the trustees will be able to use that reserve. There's a lot of detail in the bill that I haven't fully understood yet.

I'm hoping Nic De Marco will do an an analysis of the actual bill as he did with an excellent analysis of the White Paper

• Haha 1

If we get relegated sadly.... I think DC will accept there is no point carrying on. Family pressure. Stress. Reputation all time low. New EFL Rules 2 follow. 

But what "bale out" price would he accept to call it a day and walk? 

12 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

The biggest question is what will they actually do to get rid of owners of like him or the Reading guy.

It is all well and good talking about it and issuing threats, but I am still skeptical they will actually be able to get rid of incompetent owners. 

Especially if there's a period of asset stripping to get as much money out of the the business before the company ceases trading.

Additionally, what provision is there for "third parties" like the owner of the ground, selling off of keeping assets that don't belong to the football club, for instance?

The worst case scenario may then be upon us, I fear.

11 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

To hazard a guess to make money from 1 season in the EPL.

Get promoted, and quick sale and return in investment.

In my opinion, he gambled and lost.

I'm going to rephrase this.

He gambled.... We all lost. 

• Like 3

Even though it's there in black and white, it just doesnt feel likely it would ever happen.

Its one thing giving a regulator the power, but its another thing them actually using it. In fact they would do everything possible to avoid it imo. Unless their was an immediate risk of losing a club.  

First time it gets applied, it will probably end up going to judicial review

IFR.png

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I wonder if Chansiri's emails calling fans idiots will be submitted

He's really  shot himself in the foot with stuff  like that given  one of the main directives of the IFR is to improve fan engagement

13 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

Even though it's there in black and white, it just doesnt feel likely it would ever happen.

Its one thing giving a regulator the power, but its another thing them actually using it. In fact they would do everything possible to avoid it imo. Unless their was an immediate risk of losing a club.  

First time it gets applied, it will probably end up going to judicial review

IFR.png

That's enough to send a shudder down the spine of all bad owners. They're living on borrowed time

Edited by HarrowbyOwl
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

I hope youre right mate, but not sure DCs head works like that

You do wonder how much of this stuff even filters down to him. Is there anybody at the club with the cajones to tell him he's walking around with a massive target on his back?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

young DC is worth 200 million billion quid when gets his inheritance.

How come? At current rate that won't even pay the debt DC has run up. He'll be skint

Edited by HarrowbyOwl
  • Like 1