Wednesday turn down second bid for Dele Bashiru……

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

It's going to be hard to turn down if they come back with over £1.5m i reckon and with adeniran to come back and fill that spot of progressive athletic midfielder, i'd be tempted to cash in as he's unlikely to sign a new contract with interest from the league above.

I’d argue any offer is very easy to turn down if you want a successful club at this level 

• Like 2

Let’s be honest up to recent performances he’s been very inconsistent? Before that did he do enough to break into first team last season and stay there? Probably not? That leaves us where we are .moore probably didn’t think he’d progress as he as this season, still might be a flash in the pan for a few games only? So stick or  twist atm? Good enough offer and player atm doesn’t look like signing we’ll probably sell

1 hour ago, vulva said:

We are in a position where we have to sell if we get a decent offer. £2m for a League 1 player going out of contract is very good money. Forget potential. We are losing millions a year. And it boils down to the player. If he wants to go, start an auction.

Why do we have to sell? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parajack said:

Big NO for me for any contract over 2 Years if he goes so be it. Sick of seeing players lose form or get ‘injured’ and than be unavailable or unselected

This is the counter argument, and a relatively valid one given that one of the contributory factors to our current situation was handing out huge long term contracts to anyone with a pulse and a pair of boots.

We've had FDB on the books for 2 years now  and whilst he's developed over that time it's only the first 2 games of this season where we've seen him really stand out for more than the odd flash in a game.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and agree that he definitely has the potential to be worth A LOT of money in the future but so have countless other youngsters over the years.

Its always a tough call which way to jump in these situations, especially for a club in our financial situation. Hopefully DM can use his man management skills to get him to sign up for a couple more years, maybe with say a 5m or so release clause so everybody wins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We need to offer him a new contract. If he doesn’t accept, we need to sell him in this window.

I want to keep him and he’s been great in these 2 games but we’ve got to be commercially minded in how we run the club and deal with buying and selling players. 

Keeping him strengthens our chances of promotion, once in Championship he's more likely to want to stay, even if not I'm sure we'll be £1m better off just winning promotion. 

If we receive a bid a lot more in excess of a million then maybe it would be tempting to cash in. 

48 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Eh, I can only disagree... I said in another thread he was literally just fractions off... somewhat fortunately across the board. He only needed to incrementally improve to really step up.

Agree about the confidence thing, but IMO you don't loan put a 4th (IMO) or 5th (completely understand why someone one rank him there) choice CM when you're playing a midfield three and you know he's so close to breaking through.

Anyway, semantics. Point is, he's bossing it right now, he should have been tied down to a bigger and longer contract sooner, but we have to manage the situation as it is right now. If he scores another 2 goals between now and the end of the month, we could see a lot of hyped-up interest from Championship clubs much better than Blackpool...

But when you have Adenarin, Bannan, Byers, Vaulks, Bakinson all competing for a spot, if Dele hadn't stepped up like he did against Pompey and MK Dons - you risk stifling a promising young talent and restricting much needed game time at his age.

However, like you suggest it is now his place to lose. But its fine margins in football - he took his opportunity. If he had a slow start to the season I'm sure people would be calling for a loan spell so he can get regular games. 

No disrespect to Blackpool, but I'd be more worried about losing him if it was anyone else else.

Hopefully we sort a contract out and even not I'd rather we run the clock down and he will help us get promoted.

21 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

He hasn’t broken through our academy or development squad though has he.

Therefore the compensation won’t be very high.

Especially if he goes abroad we could be looking at next to nothing again like with Hirst, Shaw and Urghuhide.

He was recruited from MC academy for our development squad as a 19 year old so yes he has come through our development squad by definition, and has massively developed and improved since coming here.

People on here are just guessing at potential compensation. 

I am really happy with the clubs stance on this so far personally 

13 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Won't happen.

I wish I had your confidence. We've been a lot better behind the scenes in recent years but the list of players that we've let run out of contract in the last two decades is nearly as long as the list of players we've had in the last two decades

We've sold about 10 players out of hundreds

2 hours ago, Jim said:

The clubs got a big call to make but with DC’s track record, totally expecting him to leave for free at the end of the season?

As long as he helps us get promoted he can for me. The problem is if he reverts to the form of last season (hit and miss)

There’s a valuation he’s worth coming to end of his contract 

and a different one when he signs 

I think as soon as the first valuation is met we will have to be saying to Bashiru. We need an answer on your contract otherwise we’re accepting the bid 

Ive a bad feeling we’re going to let him go on a free and someone’s going to  my end up selling him millions