Wednesday turn down second bid for Dele Bashiru……

Guest DoesJackHunt

Unless it’s upwards of 2mil with a massive sell on i would keep him and risk him going for free. 
we’re going up and we pay big wages. 
Blackpool won’t pay him what we would in the the Championship.

If he goes, he goes but someone needs to  get a grip on contracts at the football club.

Mr Chansiri is very bad at pretty much everything to do with running a football club other than providing cash. 

2 hours ago, Dunkstar said:

This is the counter argument, and a relatively valid one given that one of the contributory factors to our current situation was handing out huge long term contracts to anyone with a pulse and a pair of boots.

We've had FDB on the books for 2 years now  and whilst he's developed over that time it's only the first 2 games of this season where we've seen him really stand out for more than the odd flash in a game.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and agree that he definitely has the potential to be worth A LOT of money in the future but so have countless other youngsters over the years.

Its always a tough call which way to jump in these situations, especially for a club in our financial situation. Hopefully DM can use his man management skills to get him to sign up for a couple more years, maybe with say a 5m or so release clause so everybody wins.

You're saying we should stick to getting 30 plus year old sure things not potential?

I only want players in the squad who are totally committed. I have no issue with him delaying a decision to get the best possible deal - he might even have raised his game lately for that very reason. But if he won't sign a deal this month then we must cash in, otherwise we retain a player who's running down his contract and might leave for free even if we go up. That's bound to affect his commitment levels, it's only natural.

Whatever we do it's a gamble. Let him run down his contract and maybe lose him for nothing at the end. Offer him a blockbuster contract and then find out the last two games were a blip and he's only average but we're stuck with him. Or cash in for, say, £1m now and like Antonio he ends up moving on for £7m a year or two later while we look on with jealousy. It's a tough call.

• Like 1

I've not read this entire thread but for me, offer him a very good 3 year contract, with a one year extension. Minimum release fee for a club from a higher league with sell on clause. Pay rise on promotion. A higher minimum release fee, with sell on clause, for a PL club offer, once we are back in Championship.

• Like 2

I back Moore on this one, and it's a big one how this plays out.

When Shaw and Urgohide left, he was very quick to point out that he would have done more to keep them if he had the opportunity.

No one could really have seen Bashiru's first 2 games this season being so successful - he showed promise when he played last season, and that was it. Interest from Blackpool,  Norwich(?) shows that he's on other team's radar. 

He's going to look after himself. He will have his agent in his ear. He will have other clubs sniffing around. His next contract is pretty much a career defining one.

If he stays, it will be down to 70%  money, 15% Moore, 10% how we do this season / ambition, 5% the reception he got from the fans at the end of the game on Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, Otley Owl said:

I back Moore on this one, and it's a big one how this plays out.

When Shaw and Urgohide left, he was very quick to point out that he would have done more to keep them if he had the opportunity.

No one could really have seen Bashiru's first 2 games this season being so successful - he showed promise when he played last season, and that was it. Interest from Blackpool,  Norwich(?) shows that he's on other team's radar. 

He's going to look after himself. He will have his agent in his ear. He will have other clubs sniffing around. His next contract is pretty much a career defining one.

If he stays, it will be down to 70%  money, 15% Moore, 10% how we do this season / ambition, 5% the reception he got from the fans at the end of the game on Saturday. 

Nobody could’ve seen it ?? I wonder what some fans are watching sometimes me ….

I’ve been absolutely confident all summer FDB was gonna be a serious player this season, i’m not having that DM and his staff hasn’t seen this coming, he should’ve been pecking the chairman all summer to sign FDB up to a new deal 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Nobody could’ve seen it ?? I wonder what some fans are watching sometimes me ….

I’ve been absolutely confident all summer FDB was gonna be a serious player this season, i’m not having that DM and his staff hasn’t seen this coming, he should’ve been pecking the chairman all summer to sign FDB up to a new deal 

Fair enough, based on what specifically though? 

Which games? He showed flashes without getting consistent playing time. 

He scored 2 crackers against Portsmouth, and had a 7/10 against MK.  

He clearly has quality, and I like the route of taking Premiership youth players and working with them - it worked with Whelan, Brunt etc. But there's no guarantees. Why so confident?

2 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Unless it’s upwards of 2mil with a massive sell on i would keep him and risk him going for free. 
we’re going up and we pay big wages. 
Blackpool won’t pay him what we would in the the Championship.

If he goes, he goes but someone needs to  get a grip on contracts at the football club.

Mr Chansiri is very bad at pretty much everything to do with running a football club other than providing cash. 

The best thing he'd get from Blackpool is a kiss me quick and squeeze me slow hat off sea front...chansiri needs to sell us as it was lovey dovey in 2016 a I bought into that...if I. Honest I think spend some cash and Premier league here we come but it doesn't work that way.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I hope Chansiri and Moore stick to their guns and simply keep him

We've learned loads over the last year or so when it comes to transfer dealing and long may it continue

We don't need 1.5 million or even 3 million - we need the player

I said pre season he wasn't going anywhere. 

As I understand from the actual player. 

He is happy here. And the contract we have offered looks amazing. 

I told him if he goes Blackpool then we want madine back. Cos he won't last a sesh with goal machine. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

You're saying we should stick to getting 30 plus year old sure things not potential?

Nope, quite the opposite. That's what got us in this mess in the first place.

My main point is just that it's a very difficult call to make. What on the face if it looks like a straightforward sensible  call can end up looking like a terrible one 6 months later.

Consistency is the main thing here, no-one is saying FDB isn't a great prospect, but right now, at this very moment, that's all he is, a prospect. In 6 months time if he's been producing to the same level on a consistent basis then it's a different conversation, unfortunately we don't really have that time so the question then becomes how much are we willing to gamble that he can become the player we think he can be? What's the cut off point where money now beats potential future money? £1m? £2m? £10m?

There has to be a point where pragmatism takes over.

2 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Nope, quite the opposite. That's what got us in this mess in the first place.

My main point is just that it's a very difficult call to make. What on the face if it looks like a straightforward sensible  call can end up looking like a terrible one 6 months later.

Consistency is the main thing here, no-one is saying FDB isn't a great prospect, but right now, at this very moment, that's all he is, a prospect. In 6 months time if he's been producing to the same level on a consistent basis then it's a different conversation, unfortunately we don't really have that time so the question then becomes how much are we willing to gamble that he can become the player we think he can be? What's the cut off point where money now beats potential future money? £1m? £2m? £10m?

There has to be a point where pragmatism takes over.

Honestly ?

I'd say £5m

• Thanks 1

Currently doing the right thing if we are seriously trying to tie him down to a new deal.

However, I know one thing. If we fail to sign him on a new deal and at the same time decline to sell him in this window then not much has changed upstairs......

22 minutes ago, reggae said:

Honestly ?

I'd say £5m

And as mad as it might seem on the surface those kinds of sums are paid for players at Fizz’s stage of development. Adeniran changed hands for £4million! If Prem clubs start getting involved it could happen. 

15 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

And as mad as it might seem on the surface those kinds of sums are paid for players at Fizz’s stage of development. Adeniran changed hands for £4million! If Prem clubs start getting involved it could happen. 

It's not mad. 

It's what he's been told he can leave for