Are we being harsh on Stockdale?

6 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

He saved the shot, it was the headers that did for him lol

Even worse
Headers are usually at a height that as a keeper you just pluck them out of the air and dont' even have to dive for them

CHANSIRI HAS QUESTIONS TO ANSWER ABOUT THIS SIGNING

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Then sell Dawson.

I mean.. OK?

I'm not making a passionate plea to keep Dawson. Infact I've said on here before that IMO the "competition" with Wildsmith has damaged and halted the progression of both their careers and they should both move. Dawson isn't first choice this season and he's not going to get a chance to be unless Stockdale either becomes a liability or misses time through injury. 

But either way we need a backup goalkeeper and unless there's big money on the table then it might as well be Dawson, at least for this season. 

25 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I mean.. OK?

I'm not making a passionate plea to keep Dawson. Infact I've said on here before that IMO the "competition" with Wildsmith has damaged and halted the progression of both their careers and they should both move. Dawson isn't first choice this season and he's not going to get a chance to be unless Stockdale either becomes a liability or misses time through injury. 

But either way we need a backup goalkeeper and unless there's big money on the table then it might as well be Dawson, at least for this season. 

Dawson will be a useless backup.

He's OK when he knows he has a spot, but if it's under threat he piles in. May as well sell him now, get a bit of cash and get another backup in.

Personally I think that Stockdale will be bad enough to cost us points  but not bad enough that DM needs to drop him, and if DM thinks he's the one, then he'll keep him in as long as he can.

Looking back on Portsmouth, maybe mitigation for Stockdale and certainly other defenders more culpable. Although the first one in particular could/should have been saved. 

That said, he needs to command his area, not stay rooted to the goal line. I've not really seen him come and take a cross confidently yet to relieve pressure on the defence.

Thought one of the reasons for signing him was his distribution. Thought it was awful on Saturday, laboured kicks that often didn't even reach halfway, and what was that nonsense in the first half was playing at centre back - I know we have sweeper keepers but stay somewhere near the penalty area please.