Are we being harsh on Stockdale?

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

A lot of people deciding where to apportion blame (among the players) and some saying a new defensive line up will take time to gel.

The mistakes from yesterday (and I’ve watched their goals through about twenty times) were a re run of every abysmal defensive error from last year. Looked like the defence were playing a fuc** n diamond formation at times. 😅

It’s history repeating itself. 

Average / decent players, badly coached by a ‘coach’ out of his depth off the pitch and who gets out thought on the pitch.

Alex Neill, Paul Warne, Gareth Ainsworth just three of many who have exposed the limited mental agility of our man.

Absolutely no point in crucifying players, who look lost and crying out for leadership and simple organisation.

Just watching a similar example of Coventry breaking in a similar position to any of our three goals conceded. Sunderland back four knew exactly what their roles were, closed them down, covered the spaces and forced Coventry back. 

Properly coached, properly executed.

Regardless of how this game pans out. The example of this one repelled attack is a stark example of how far off the mark we are, and when I say ‘we’, I mean our manager.

Also in his ‘interview’ he failed to mention the defensive mistakes once. 

In denial!!

Some interesting points there

Would you say we have a strong leader / character in the back three?

And would you say Stockdale organised the defence enough?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Some interesting points there

Would you say we have a strong leader / character in the back three?

And would you say Stockdale organised the defence enough?

I’m absolutely not saying there were some horrendous performances yesterday, but it seems to me whoever the personnel are, the result seems the same. 

Players who have led stats in their particular areas for other (lesser) clubs, suddenly look like rabbits in the headlights for us (and have done since the relegation season).

I have lived for the day when my initial reservations about our manager are proved misplaced, but I am gradually losing hope.

I am starting to accept, that whatever the personnel on the field, we will continue to underperform (even when picking up decent results on occasions) due to the lack of top grade coaching and tactical nous. 

• Like 2

Just now, bigthinrob said:

I’m absolutely not saying there were some horrendous performances yesterday, but it seems to me whoever the personnel are, the result seems the same. 

I see what you mean yeah

Although the second half of last season was just outstanding. Attacking football, record number of goals, record number of wins and a great watch.

So are your views the result of not shaking off the first half of last season and if so is that a fair and balanced way of looking at it?

Or are your fears with merit?

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I’ve watched the Pompey goals a few times now and whilst he was slow to react to their first, it wasn’t a catastrophic error. Despite me initially blaming him for the second, I think I was being harsh. Nothing he could do about the third. His performance certainly wasn’t the horrendous one some on here have been having a meltdown about. I suggest people watch the goals again.

Lets support Stockdale, the same keeper who kept the most clean sheets in this division last season.

We ain’t being harsh enough, I demand we build a huge wicker

Just now, Five Archers said:
2 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

We ain’t being harsh enough, I demand we build a huge wicker man in the park and stick Stockdale and Iorfa in it before the next game as a warning to the rest

Dog is going in the wicker man as well as punishment for jumping on me as I was typing 

lol 

Stockdale wasn’t at fault for any of the goals yesterday.

It’s the defenders that should be getting the grief for yesterday for being too slow at closing down and stopping the crosses for the goals, and for not winning enough in the air against their opponents. I’d also blame Moore partly for this too because the system looks all wrong defensively.

First goal the cross should be stopped from coming in. Their winger pushes past Windass far too easily and basically knocks him over.

Second, Heneghan probably should be quicker out to his man, but most importantly Iorfa gives their number 9 space and the opportunity to run onto the ball so he can power a header in. Iorfa is the culprit there, the Keeper isn’t saving that from 6 yards out. Iorfa was dogshite yesterday BTW and should be dropped. 

Third the keeper again has no chance either. Their player has all the time in the world to pick out his man and measure his cross. And despite us having 3 defenders around the 6 yard box to their one attacker, he wins the header.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I see what you mean yeah

Although the second half of last season was just outstanding. Attacking football, record number of goals, record number of wins and a great watch.

So are your views the result of not shaking off the first half of last season and if so is that a fair and balanced way of looking at it?

Or are your fears with merit?

My fears are that we will underperform again as we did last year and even allowing for the improvement in the second half of the season, we still technically underperformed in relation to the final outcome.

My fears are that this could happen again, we could have a ‘decent’ season but still ‘underperform’ as against where we should be, and my big fear is that when the chips are down, either in big one off games or even play off games, we come up against manager’s who clearly outthink / out tactic ours.

I also question his reading of games after the event in his interview. For him to say the character of the team was good because they came back from being behind and was pleased with a point,  without even mentioning the horrendous defensive mistakes and embarrassing organisation, is a dereliction of his responsibility to tell the truth and looks like an ar*e covering exercise to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigthinrob said:

My fears are that we will underperform again as we did last year and even allowing for the improvement in the second half of the season, we still technically underperformed in relation to the final outcome.

My fears are that this could happen again, we could have a ‘decent’ season but still ‘underperform’ as against where we should be, and my big fear is that when the chips are down, either in big one off games or even play off games, we come up against manager’s who clearly outthink / out tactic ours.

I also question his reading of games after the event in his interview. For him to say the character of the team was good because they came back from being behind and was pleased with a point,  without even mentioning the horrendous defensive mistakes and embarrassing organisation, is a dereliction of his responsibility to tell the truth and looks like an ar*e covering exercise to me. 

I don't pay attention to interviews personally. They're just reporter asking question and manager/player just batting off the question with as neutral an answer as they can get away with.

The frustration for me is how we start seasons. We seem to use the first couple of months to just test out different starting lineups, tactics etc and to finally settle on one around Christmas time

lol

So so frustrating

Regarding tactics during games your point is very difficult to argue (even for me amazingly) and I have to say it's difficult to disagree with what you're saying on that score.

Although - again - in the second half of last season he did seem to make changes that won us games

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

It's not one game though is it? This is Moores failure to address the defensive issues the buck stops with him. 

Yawn. 

My fixture list definitely says only first game. New defence. Judgement  already past that the players are not good enough.

WTF.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To let two goals in from the same situations and not change things could be regarded as unfortunate/acceptable ...but it was obvious what they changed in the second half. 

Managerial blame for me. 

Edited by Freshfish
  • Like 2

My 2 peneth for what it worth

1. There was a clear foul on Heneghan when the initial cross came in, then when the second ball comes in their left back is basically unmarked(Bannan closest player) and sticks it right against the post. Not sure if another keeper would have saved it or not but if they did it would have been an incredible save.

2. Fiz (who had a great game) thinks he’s got more time on half way and gets his pocket picked and with Johnson already off down the line for tha ball Fiz was about to play left a big hole at left back meaning initially Ihiekwe  and then Heneghan get pulled across to cover leaving Iorfa alone with their centre forward, again not sure what else Stockdale could be expected to do. 

3. Johnson gets done with a ball over the top, does all right in holding the winger up but then the right back appears with no Wednesday player anywhere near and the cross comes in to their number nine unmarked between to defenders 8 yards out, not sure Stockdale should be coming for that ball. 

20 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

What he said in the interview might not have any resemblance to what he actually thought and relayed back to the team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PortlandOwl said:

We had three giant centre halfs yesterday yet Portsmouth still got free headers in for their goals. Tough to blame the keeper.

It wasnt tough to blame the keeper when the knives were out for Dawson.....any mistake by the defence was instantly put down to him not organising the defence properly like Sir Kieran did. 

But apparently that doesnt apply any more?