Are we being harsh on Stockdale?

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Grobbelaar definitely would
He was wacky like that

Apart from when he played for us and just let shots in past his flappy hands

He never played a competitive game for us. Unless you saw him in the reserves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yes but on this occasion I'm correct

I was correct when I said the same about Pressman too

Of course .

I was just putting up a counter point,

knowing I was wrong , so you can once more prove your correctness 

get Meggo and wilko running him through the woods!! 

• Haha 1

Windlass should have stopped the cross for the first but a more athletic goalie would have taken two steps left before diving and would have stopped it. The second should have been pushed over the bar as it was straight at him. The third Dele-Bashiru lost the ball, then didn't track the runner then Iorfa was all  over the place and Stockdale didn't have much chance. I'd say having watched them back he'd be disappointed with the first two. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

My big concern is a repeat of last season where we win games, lose games draw games, and gradually the points we throw away gradually start to mount ( as yesterday).

Also any momentum is lost. Everyone went into yesterday full of it. Proper Wednesday kit. Proper away kit. New shiny pitch. 27000 crowd all buzzing. Brilliant start. Then abject chaos where we eventually rescue a point, which our manager seems to think is a great result. 

The initial buzz is muted, questions are asked, it looks like more of the same from last year and we are immediately two points off the pace.

Derby, who were a total unknown quantity this year, got a couple of our ‘castoffs’ and go into THEIR next game on fire. Their crowd will be up for it, they’ll sell extra tickets etc whereas we’ll be a bit cautious and the initial confidence will be a bit dented (especially with the manner of the performance).

Some good points here.

• Like 2

For me more needs to get a handle on the whole defending in general.

Stockdale is has a very good ground game ,but poor dealing with airiel threats .it's a bit of a recipe for disaster when our 3 CBS last season and so far this also look allover the place when dealing with the ball in the air.. The four of them must do better if we're going to go up automatic.

Just watched the highlights. The entire defence is a worry.  Stockdale has the agility of a dead fish and looks 2 stone over weight. 3 towering centre backs who don't seem to be able to head a ball out or position themselves correctly.  The 4 of them cost us 2 precious points IMO. 

17 hours ago, Asio otus said:

So you can past judgement on players after one game.!! 

Fair dos, you must be one of the worlds top football scouts.

I wont debate DM because you passed judgement on him ages ago. 

Who's passing judgement on players? They have poor games. Would like nothing better than DM to succeed as means we are doing well. 

However, it's is his job as a manager to fix areas of weakness, like the defence. How long do you give him to do this..18 months would seem long enough.

• Like 1

I should learn not to trust an outpouring of negativity against a player before I’ve watched the extended highlights.

Stockdale was less to blame for the goals than I’d expected. Some woeful defending though - especially the one where both defenders left the attacker for the other to deal with.

Two things:

I reckon we do need to bring in at least one if not two top leaders for the defence so we’ve got strength in depth.

And I really fear for Dawson. Last year will have done him so much good. I fear that a prolonged period bench warming won’t do that confidence much good - and would increase pressure too much when he has his chance - getting us back to square one with him again. I would love the job to be shared by both of them until it’s clear which one is preferred.

He's been thrown under the bus by his back 3 for every goal, granted he's over weight and not the most agile, but that back 3 allowing free headers time after time from the 6 yard box and penalty spot hasn't helped. We sign 3 centre backs to address the issue last season of been light weight and weak from crosses and they played like they'd just met for the first team at 2:30pm and thrown together. That was a portsmouth side who had no intention of attacking for the first 45 minutes and only started attacking in the second half and scored 3 times, thank christ they were conservative in the first half.

29 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

He's been thrown under the bus by his back 3 for every goal, granted he's over weight and not the most agile, but that back 3 allowing free headers time after time from the 6 yard box and penalty spot hasn't helped. We sign 3 centre backs to address the issue last season of been light weight and weak from crosses and they played like they'd just met for the first team at 2:30pm and thrown together. That was a portsmouth side who had no intention of attacking for the first 45 minutes and only started attacking in the second half and scored 3 times, thank christ they were conservative in the first half.

Pretty much. 

I still can't get over the fact that a back three consisting of three blokes 6ft plus (well over 6ft in the case of Heneghan and Iorfa) could be so utterly useless at defending crosses into the box. 

Stockdale looking like he's been teleported in from the early 1990s PL era doesn't help him, but still. 

• Like 1

Iorfas form isnt terminal for auto promotion but two dodgy keepers are.

Stockdale isnt going to get more agile. Hes in decline, you cant coach turning back time. 

The alternative is Irongloves Dawson.

We dont need 10 games to know this.

• Like 1